Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 REX RS450 w/ Chinese GY6 / 139QMB engine - modified or not? 
    Hi everyone, sorry I can't provide you with photos of it now because it's raining like hell outside right now, so I'll just try to explain. The bike in question is branded in Germany as REX RS450, but in fact it's a 2006 Qingqi QM50QT-6A. Around the world the very same bike is branded as Peugeot V-Clic, Sinnis JET 50, Baotian °something°, etc., but all those 139QMB engines come from the same place - the Chinese factory 'Jinan Qingqi', so there should be no huge differences between two 139QMB engines.

1.jpg.jpg

Anyway, I bought the bike a week ago from a guy, who told me it's not been de-restricted and it's perfectly legal for riding with a class 'B' license (up to 50cc and 45 km/h), all engine parts are original, etc. And in fact it was running 45-47 kph max so I was not worried about my insurance so much (insurance companies just looove accidents with modified scooters) since I was sure it's restricted.

Recently I changed air filter, engine oil, gearbox oil, fuel filter, cleaned the old oil filter, changed spark plug to the iridium one recommended by manufacturer, changed the old loose belt with a new one and did some more regular maintenance on it, but only within the legal boundaries and with OEM parts only. No tuning, no throttle pushing, no carb play, no racing CDI and stuff. Still, yesterday I had to hurry for a meeting, I twisted it more than I do usually and it went from the 45 kph it used to go to 56-58 kph (not downhill)! I googled a bit, than I opened the CVT again and there really was no washer on the variator sleeve - a thing I paid no attention to when I changed the belt! Then I googled again and found few claims that the 2006 REX RS 450 has no washer, but only a CDI limitation of some sort and the weights in the back of the variator are covered with a tin cover of some sort that also limits top speed. Is that true?

Also I measured the vario sleeve - it's 20 x 38 mm. Shouldn't it be shorter? Does anyone know how long the OEM sleeve is?
    Excuse my crappy English, I hope you understand..

2. #2 Re: REX RS450 w/ Chinese GY6 / 139QMB engine - modified or not? 
    Quote Originally Posted by REX RS450 View Post
    ...Around the world the very same bike is branded as Peugeot V-Clic, Sinnis JET 50, Baotian °something°, etc., but all those 139QMB engines come from the same place - the Chinese factory 'Jinan Qingqi'
    Baotian is another maker in Guangdong NOT releated to Qingqi. GY6 is 1st appear in Kymco during 90s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEn93IH2dg
    "Chinese scooter club" had more expert about these "tiny" size moped.

3. #3 Re: REX RS450 w/ Chinese GY6 / 139QMB engine - modified or not? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey, my wife brought a rex 450 rs back from Deutschland. I just found out today that it is a Rex 450 rs. When we took it out of storage it wouldn't run so I put in a new battery, spark plug, cleaned the carb, changed engine and gear oil (refilled with fully synthetic), put on a new belt, reset the valve lash and cleaned the air filter. Since then I have put in 88 and 40 jets and installed a performance air filter. my top speed is a measly 35 kph. I forgot to mention that I de-restricted everything and there was no restriction washer on the variator.