Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Regal Raptor DD250G-2 (2008-09) 
    A few of us here are seriously considering buying Regal Raptors. All of us are considering buying the CB250N style, not the cruisers. We have a friend who bought a cruiser style bike previously and the bike lasted very well with excellent finish quality, which has made us seriously consider these bikes.

The local dealer seems keen to ride and sell these bikes, and has his own DD250G-2 (shown above). I was lucky enough to be able to have a ride. I'd just done 300kms on my own 150cc machine before riding this bike, so I was able to make decent comparisons.

Review

The problem with Chinese bikes is not really how they ride when new, but how they survive, so any single ride review should just be taken as a quick guide, but obvious long term defects cannot be highlighted without long term use.

First impressions sitting on the bike was that it is comfortable, with the tank cut-away and height giving a nice feel which seems this will aid handling especially initial turn in. Peg position and bars were very marginally more racy than a regular 125 cc bike, very much like the original CB250 positions, but bike, would really suit slightly shorter riders 175cm than me 183 CM (6ft) but I didn't feel cramped. Bike weighs rated 165KG although feels pretty light, stats may be wrong and based on wet weight, bike seems happy to turn in to corners.

Bike was very free revving, and RR may have been able to avoid some restrictive practices that are put on Chinese bikes. Bike accelerates exactly the same as my CBF150, that is until 6000RPM where I meet the torque band and all the way up to 9000 red line the bike is noticeably quicker than my bike, and engine seems much smoother than many of the Honda 234cc clone twins on the market. Brakes are also fine and rear disk gives more feedback than a regular drum.

Gears were smooth and did not have any difficulty doing what was asked of them, also did not have any problem going through neutral on the way to 2nd gear, although I would like to try the bike when it's hotter to see if the gears stay so slick.

Pros

The Cheng-Shin tyres are very decent for Chinese tyres, Cheng-Shin are part of the same Taiwanese company who own Maxxis. I run the front tyre from this bike on the rear of my current bike, and I'm very impressed with its performance, possibly the best Chinese made motorcycle tyre that is domestically available.

Engine being a twin provides that extra bit of torque that a single just can't, meaning hills will be less of a chore, also riding the torque band would make a welcome change rather than pushing the bike in the KW band up near the red line on a single all day.

Price is just over 10,000 Yuan on the road, very reasonable.

The areas where they have gone cheap seem obvious, and so hardcore riders will be easily be able to upgrade the bike to their own taste.

Cons

Rear shocks appear to be from an electric bike and mirrors are also junk, but these are easy to swap in China. Weird exhaust system looks like a reason for concern, but they have stuck with it on their newer models so can't be that bad.

Verdict

Great value for money, but I might hold off for the liquid cooled new version which has a single rear shock, end cans, and different rotors, and more tasteful and clearer dials but for a reported 13,000 RMB.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 06-21-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: More info
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Nice write up, more pictures

It's cool that you got a chance to ride it and your local dealer actually has some interest and knowledge about the bike. How did the twin exhaust sound?

It does look like a good value, but 3000 more for liquid cooling and mono-lever rear suspension seams like an even better deal .

How long will it be before the new model is really available for legal China purchase?

Thanks for sharing
    ChinaV

The word from the factory is that the new liquid cooled version should have passed it's CCC certification by the end of the summer, August seems likely.

Exhaust sounds pretty sweet and fairly loud for a stock Chinese machine.

I certainly agree that the liquid cooled newer version is the better of the two, and the extra 3000 is worth it for the rear shock and water cooling, plus there certainly will be upgrades not visible to the naked eye. Will be taking a look at the bike again in a few days.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

C-Moto Guru
    Very happy to hear that this bike reviewed well with you. I sat on a monoshock version in Jiashan and was impressed, but of course I didn't get a chance to actually ride it. I'm thinking one of these would easily fit the bill as an upgrade from my Suzuki next September. We were quoted a price of 16500 in Jiashan, and 10000 for the dual shock air cooled version in Jiangsu (Wujiang city).

I'm a little confused over the versions though. The ones we saw had monoshocks and radiators with DD 250 G written on the side:

Jim claims these have 330 CC motors, but I can't find these bikes anywhere on the Lifeng English web site.

http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/prod...&bid=5&types=5

The picture I showed is the old model of the same bike, so think that is the 2007/2008 bike. The picture you showed with the radiator, end cans and monoshock has the same name, this however would seem to be the 2009/2010 bike, but not registrable until the end of the summer. There is also the SPT350 (which is a 330cc),
    it's here:http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/prod...&bid=5&types=5 This last bike may not be available to register in China, or if it is, may cost 5000 more than the others to register, will be asking at the shop tomorrow.

C-Moto Guru
    The one we saw in Jiashan also didn't have the dual front disks shown on the one on the Lifeng web site. You were quoted 13000 for it? Damn, I must be getting the laowai special. Gotta bring along my Chinese friends if I actually buy the thing and hide outside while they bargain for me.

The boss wasn't there when I dropped by, the salesgirl could have been wrong, and often are!

C-Moto Senior
    The monoshock bikes are much bigger than the twin shock designs. In Jianshan they were side by side and the size difference is apparent.

I am actually not sure of the displacement. They say 250 cc, but they are water cooled. They are probably 234 cc and I think I was wrong.

The you observations about the engine power are spot on. Nuhuas has a Suzuki GZ150 with an aftermarket pipe, airbox opened up and carb tweaked, so it probably has about the same amount of power as a Honda CBF150. The stock power on the Suzuki is 13 hp, the stock power on the Honda is 14 hp.

When we ride together, my Honda Rebel (the bike the RR's are based on) is faster at all revs, but really leaves the Suzuki in the dust above 85 km/h.

Oddly, I rode a well used RR cruiser (identical to my Rebel) and it was faster than my Rebel, but not by much.

Looking forward to hearing you test the watercooled monoshock version.

It seems like Johnny Pag has the 300cc version in the US

http://www.johnnypag.com/images/moto...port_large.jpg

I have seen it elsewhere on the internet for cheaper than Johnny Pag's price, but I am not sure what the brand name is called. This doesn't help you in China, but they must have some 300cc versions around?

All 250cc Raptors are actually 234cc or 233cc bikes, depending on which stats you read.

Yes, at low revs the bikes accelerate in a similar manner, but from 5500 to 9000 revs the Raptor is really much quicker and more satisfying being a twin. Also the DD250G seems to have been tweaked for more hp above torque, which means that those with the balls to rev the bike up to 9000 will really see what it can do. It will probably be quicker than a rebel, as seating position allows better rider input, less wind resistance and better city car swerve and traffic splitting capability.

We had another ride on the same DD250G on monday, which was manufactured in Sept 08, I would say that that most of the welding is poor, and steel and powder coat does not look so great, and prone to rust, the rubber mounts are already deteriorating, the exhaust pipes under the seat area come too close to the rear tyre under hard compression, some bolts don't look like they will survive long before falling out either and the clutch cable rubs on the tacho. Not great, but for an experienced rider who knows how to keep on top of issues the bike will be great fun, ideal for Chinese roads, enough power and not to heavy. If it had a single cylinder engine, I wouldn't touch it, but it's that twin cylinder thing that sells it. It's also not that much of a concern, as I like the mechanic who works at the shop, and the bike has a 20,000km or one year warranty, which ever comes first!

Another thing worth mentioning is that according to the local mechanic the shocks can be replaced with a worthy Taiwanese brand for 300 yuan and good mirrors for well under 100, so around 11,000 on the road including all the taxes, insurance and registration.

My plan is to sell my current bike and buy the liquid cooled version in September, pay a bit extra hoping that many of the issues with the 08 bike have been ironed out, and the 09 is better, but I'm willing to take the gamble to have that power plant. One of my friends is planning to buy sept 08 model in the next few weeks.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast