Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi All,

My name is Graham, and I am in beautiful Shandong.
    I have lived here with my Chinese girlfriend for almost 3 years.
    We plan to marry some time later this year.

Now, onto bikes, after all, that's what we are here for ,,,,,,,,,, right guys !

On one of my trips back to my home country, England, I recently sold my 750cc Africa Twin.

I had thought long and hard about bringing it to China, but eventually decided the pain was too much.
    So the decision was made that she must go, that's the bike that is, not the girlfriend.
    The Africa Twin wasn't my first bike, and I have had many big bikes over the years, mostly big Japanese sports bikes.

I have a full UK car license, and a full UK big bike license for more years than I care to remember.
    So far I have resisted the temptation to ride a motorbike on Shandong's roads, mainly because I don't want to get trouble.
    Here in Weifang, you wouldn't exactly call it "foreigner city", with just 4 foreigners that I know in a place of about 4 million.
    However, there are 2 traffic offices rather close by, ie, one just 200 meters away, and another about 700 meters away, so rather than push my luck, I think better stay off bikes until I get a Chinese license. No need to bring the attention of the PSB into things.

This is where, like many before, I need advice and guidance.
    I am here in China on a business 1 year multiple entry "F" visa, with 90 day stay each time.
    I am on my 3rd one now, without problem or incident.
    After about 85 days or so, I take a trip out of China with my girlfriend, and we have a short holiday.
    Maybe to South Korea, or Hong Kong, or Vietnam.
    This "resets" the 90 day visa, and every one is happy.

Well, I guess that's enough for now in the "Hello" section, and I will drift myself over to the other forums and ask away.

Graham

2. #2 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Graham,

Greetings and welcome to the boards. You'll find most if not all of the information you need for getting licensed and getting a bike plated, and if you find information that is specific to Shandong and/or Weifang we hope that you'll post it up -- perhaps for the fifth foreigner in Weifang, if he or she ever arrives. Please spend a few minutes with advanced search, and you'll have little trouble finding threads on getting a Chinese license, which is your top priority. You may have trouble under your current visa arrangement, as it requires you to show a visa allowing a stay of at least 90 days on the day you apply. Perhaps you can do that if you go directly to the Vehicle Management Bureau on the day you re-enter with a fresh 90-day stay in your passport.

If you do follow through with your wedding plans, you should be able to qualify for a one-year or multiple-year spouse visa, which will not allow you to work, but will allow you to qualify for a license. How perfect is that! "Sorry dear, I'm still not allowed to work. I'm going for a ride..."

I expect that two active MCM members in Shandong -- ZMC888 and SoberPete, both in Zibo -- will be particularly helpful about the motorcycling ecosystem in your home province. ZMC also hails from blighty, as I recall; both may also have extensive advice regarding Chinese spouses....

Shame about having to jettison the Africa Twin. We have a good friend named Du Rui in Yongkang, Zhejiang, who rides a beautiful 1996 Africa Twin; I'm not sure where he got it, but I imagine it was inside China when he obtained it back in 2003 or so.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    Hi Graham,

I'm just 100kms or so east of you in Zhangdian Zibo, where we have a much larger ex-pat population of about 50 or so native English speaking teachers on residency permits, and about 10-20% of us ride motorcycles.
    Soberpete also on these here boards lives in Zibo too. We are both originally from the UK, we both have Chinese wives and children.

I have been working, living and riding in China for 10 years. I try to keep legal if possible, and have a registered bike with a Chinese license, I'm on my third bike here, the biggest being my current 250cc twin. Although in 2013 or 2014 I am thinking about getting a bigger 650cc inline four. Before China I rode in India, Australia, NZ, Thailand and Indonesia. On a wide variety of different bikes and sizes, but mostly Hondas, as those are my preferred bike, and I really love 500-600cc twins.

It does seem pretty bad that you are on a constant business visa rotation. If you can get away from Weifang it would be pretty easy to get you on a more stable job around here with a residency permit, which means you could easily get a Chinese license and register a bike in your name.

Anyhow there are some stunning roads in Shandong, hope you can get mobile..

4. #4 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi guys,
    Euphonius & ZMC888

Thanks for the quick warm welcome

I was in Shanghai for 2 weeks over the F1, nice city, big for sure, the subway system is some thing else.
    Unfortunately ZMC888, the closest I got to Zibo, is passing on the CHR from Weifang to Jinan or Beijing
    I guess there are many great places in Zibo for "ride outs" I suppose even a ride from Weifang to Zibo isn't that much of a big deal.
    I quite like Weifang, perhaps not every one's cup of tea, but for now, it suits me OK.

Any way, rather than clutter up the "Welcome" section, I will head off, and into one of the other threads.

Graham

5. #5 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Hi Graham,

I have been working, living and riding in China for 10 years. I try to keep legal if possible, and have a registered bike with a Chinese license, I'm on my third bike here, the biggest being my current 250cc twin. Although in 2013 or 2014 I am thinking about getting a bigger 650cc inline four. Before China I rode in India, Australia, NZ, Thailand and Indonesia. On a wide variety of different bikes and sizes, but mostly Hondas, as those are my preferred bike, and I really love 500-600cc twins.
    ZMC888, Well i can say we have a similar ideas of the twin 650. I also rode in India and thats where my love for the bike grew
    I like honda too as it was my first bike to have when i was 11 i guess. In India i drove pulsar. 180-220cc.

Graham your a lucky man

6. #6 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    Hi Graham
    I live in Longkou about 60 mins away from you been here on and off for 3 years now done about 25,000 km in my car now have 2 bike coming 1.. A racing ATV and 2.. The new CF MOTO 250-8 >>> the ATV should be here in the next 2 days and the CF is due here in about 3 weeks time
    dont have chinese driving license yet ??? TOOK THE TEST 2 TIMES NOW ?? 1st time 88 out of 100 and 87 i kown most of the roads around Longkou and have been looking out for some nice bike rides when i have been driving my car about
    103.jpg

cant wait to get them both maybe we can meet up and have a beer

steve
    Last edited by prince666; 04-29-2012 at 02:36 AM.

7. #7 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Steve,

Great post.
    I hope you are careful with the ATV, they can be quite brutal at times.
    I used to have a Honda 330cc quad a few years ago.
    pretty fast, but sure not as fast as what your planning.

I don't have either a Chinese car or bike license yet, however I will really start to put my mind to it later this year.

It could be great to meet up for a beer some time .

Graham

8. #8 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    what part of the UK do you come from??? me my self is a "ESSEX BOY" i myself need to sort out the
    driveing things as well can do it in Harbin with only 90 days stay on the passport??? send me your MOB number in china send to princeinchina@gmail.com so if i am down your way can ring you

all the best

steve

9. #9 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Steve,

I am from Cheshire.
    I have spent a long time in Yantai, I quite like Yantai if the truth be known.
    I used to live in Zhifu,
    I am not sure why you are asking about Harbin?
    Are you planning to go to Harbin to take your license?

Gra.

10. #10 Re: Hello from Friendly Shandong 
    Hi Graham,

Are you still in Yantai? I have been here for about a year and want to meet up with some fellow riders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast