Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Best camping spots around Beijing 
    Hi guys,

where are the good spots to put up a tent around Beijing so we don't have to spend the weekends in the dust and heat of the city?

I am looking for something next to a crystal clear river or mountain lake with flushing meadows and crickets chirping. Am I looking for to much?

I'll start:
    N 40° 32' 24'' E 116°40'14'' at 天池 People running a climbing business there (http://www.viaferratachina.com/portal.php), english and french spoken. Call Qing Wang ahead and ask about camping. No swimming, no fire (officially) Entry in the park is 20 kuai and then there is an additional 20 per person for staying overnight.

N 40° 01' 58'' E 115° 50' 02'' on the last stretch of road to zhen zhu hu (珍珠湖). A small patch of land where Chinese go for fishing during the day. Some stay in tents over night. Two locals have a small cabin there and will charge you 10 kuai a night per person. They will put up a barbecue for you for an additional 20 or 30 kuai (no food included). next to a river which at most times contains too much rubbish to really make you want go splash into the water.

Where do you normally go? Prefer to not put your best spot out in the open? Well a PM would be nice, then.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

2. #2 Re: Best camping spots around Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sorry, I'm a city boy. Maybe Chaoyang park? Ritan park? Or, for excitement, pitch a tent in Tiananmen?

Next time you are by the Iron Horse Saloon, ask Jim Bryant. He is quite active with the Boy Scouts of Beijing, and they are always heading out on camping trips. He knows a lot of special, secret locations.

3. #3 Re: Best camping spots around Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    Hi guys,

where are the good spots to put up a tent around Beijing so we don't have to spend the weekends in the dust and heat of the city?

I am looking for something next to a crystal clear river or mountain lake with flushing meadows and crickets chirping. Am I looking for to much?
    Possible, but don't expect these spots around the corner.

I'll start:
    N 40° 32' 24'' E 116°40'14'' at 天池 People running a climbing business there (http://www.viaferratachina.com/portal.php), english and french spoken. Call Qing Wang ahead and ask about camping. No swimming, no fire (officially) Entry in the park is 20 kuai and then there is an additional 20 per person for staying overnight.

N 40° 01' 58'' E 115° 50' 02'' on the last stretch of road to zhen zhu hu (珍珠湖). A small patch of land where Chinese go for fishing during the day. Some stay in tents over night. Two locals have a small cabin there and will charge you 10 kuai a night per person. They will put up a barbecue for you for an additional 20 or 30 kuai (no food included). next to a river which at most times contains too much rubbish to really make you want go splash into the water.
    I'd stay away exactly from this kind of places.

Where do you normally go? Prefer to not put your best spot out in the open? Well a PM would be nice, then.
    I personally prefer camping over dirty, noisy, smelly, .... accommodation with my bike out of sight and control.I always try to camp next to or very close to a river or lake and of course not in a spot with loads of people. I also try to stay away from tourist sites as much as I can. A camp fire is also almost a must but actually forbidden.

Below some of my favorite campsites

East of Baihepu, along S309, Beijing
    directly at the river, good for a quick bath
    40.64651, 116.21092
    camped there once with ChinaV; had a campfire; not been spotted

Yangtian, Hebei
    directly at a river, fire ok, people come to watch but they are used to foreigners (us) camping there
    supermarket in the nearby village sells cold beer and you may use their fridge for stuff you brought along
    40.785625, 115.949942
    camped there approx. ten times (once with ChinaV)
    40.814125, 115.939848 (supermarket)

Lake at the Hebei / Inner Mongolian Border
    Few people, great night sky view, fire ok
    41.795658, 115.97593 camped there 4 times (once with ChinaV)

Coordinates taken from Google Earth

Happy camping
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Best camping spots around Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Possible, but don't expect these spots around the corner. I'd stay away exactly from this kind of places. I personally prefer camping over dirty, noisy, smelly, .... accommodation with my bike out of sight and control.I always try to camp next to or very close to a river or lake and of course not in a spot with loads of people. I also try to stay away from tourist sites as much as I can. A camp fire is also almost a must but actually forbidden. Below some of my favorite campsites East of Baihepu, along S309, Beijing directly at the river, good for a quick bath 40.64651, 116.21092 camped there once with ChinaV; had a campfire; not been spotted Yangtian, Hebei directly at a river, fire ok, people come to watch but they are used to foreigners (us) camping there supermarket in the nearby village sells cold beer and you may use their fridge for stuff you brought along 40.785625, 115.949942 camped there approx. ten times (once with ChinaV) 40.814125, 115.939848 (supermarket) Lake at the Hebei / Inner Mongolian Border Few people, great night sky view, fire ok 41.795658, 115.97593 camped there 4 times (once with ChinaV) Coordinates taken from Google Earth Happy camping
    Hey Andy,

thanks for sharing.

I know that my suggestions are not the best spots but option number one is convenient when you are there for climbing anyway and when we stayed at option number two, we were the only ones for the night.

Will check out yours as soon as I got time!

Anyone else wants to share?
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3