Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a Harley in China etc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Having finally gotten round to converting my UK license to a Chinese one, i'm once again ready to get myself some decent wheels - i love my ZS Sierra but we're growing apart.
    Anyway, ive had my eye on the Jialing 600 for many a moon, but have always been put off by the hassle of getting it to Wuhan (where i live) and then registering it, not to mention not being able to see one before i buy. Anyway, to cut a long story short, i came across the new Harley shop in Wuhan the other day and they can sell me a Superlow for 100,000 and plate it, insure it and all that for me.. Now, i was never a Harley man, but they are pretty cool and i like the idea of being legal for minimum fuss ( i hate to ride illegally).
    I'd like to know what are your thoughts on the whole issue.. Harley in China? 30% more than the UK price? Stick with the China-moto?
    Or, how about some info on a BMW 1300 GS.. are they around in China?

PS.. some fo you may have noticed i kicked off a post about riding from China to the UK... unfortunately, i was up for it, but my missus wansnt.... :(

2. #2 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    Leave the finance minister at home.

3. #3 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Leave the finance minister at home.
    Haha but not very "harmonious"

I bought the 883 Superlow and love it. I've been through the entire line-up of Harleys, including heavily raked choppers in my younger years, and the Sportster remains my favorite (this is my 4th Sportster). For China, it is the only Harley option, IMHO. The larger cruisers are designed for American interstates (or Starbucks runs), and are simply unworkable in congested Chinese traffic. The 883SL is a very narrow bike, very maneuverable, and has more than enough power for anything you will need in China. Good tank size, and decent suspension.

The 883 comes standard with a solo seat (and it will be registered as a 1 person bike), so you might want to consider that if the Missus wants to ride along. I think if you upgrade to the longer, built for two seat, with passenger pegs mounted, it can be registered as a 2 person bike.

The 883 is definitely more expensive than back home, but not ridiculously more. The larger Harleys (and BMWs), however are definitely ridiculously over-priced in China. Those larger mounts are all about status in China, as opposed to riding enjoyment. They are just too big for Chinese roads/traffic.

The good news is that the legal Sportsters have retained their value (most have actually increased in value), and when the time comes, sell very quickly. The key selling feature is "legal". A legal 2009 883 sold for around 85K back in 2009, and now sell (used) for around 95K.

Be prepared, however, for absolutely insane prices on "genuine" Harley accessories from a Harley dealer in China. Those are things that you MUST buy back home and bring to China. Crash bar? 3500 rmb at Harley dealer, 700 rmb at home (or, if you buy a YBR125, you can get the crash bar for 90 rmb).

Yup, I am a happy camper with the 883SL, but the Beijing Harley dealer is probably my worst-ever buying experience. Another story.

4. #4 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    C-Moto Senior
    I really like the idea of a Harley in China.
    However, I would be a little worried about the unwanted attention it would draw.

Saying that, if your all legal eagle, then no worries.

Enjoy.

Gra.

5. #5 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I also own a JH600. And, frankly, if I could only own one bike in China ... it would definitely be the JH600. It is, by far, much better for China. And it is a great price.

It is probably worthwhile seeing what would be required to get the JH600 registered/plated in Wuhan. If Harley is there, and can plate bikes, then I would guess that you can almost certainly get a JH600 plated there.

Yeah, IMHO, the JH600 is definitely the way to go in China.

6. #6 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Lia Jia Hou, i was just going to reply that you were my hero... i read your post about the superlow and was ready act with or without the approval of the finance minister. Then, the page refreshed and i saw your 2nd post and i remembered you had a JH600.. argh!! You may have seen from some of my other posts i like the rough stuff as much as the next man, its just now i spend so much more time within the city. Could the Harley, with its low GC ever manage an out of the city trip in China?
    The dealer in Wuhan seems great, but i know what you mean about the parts... bloody 7000 for a seat!

7. #7 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    Oh sure, the 883 can handle anything you throw at it. It is actually a wonderful, all-around bike.

A friend of mine did 12,000 miles solo through SE Asia on a sportster and, at this moment, is doing a two-up circle through/around Tibet on his 883. His wife and he are celebrating their first wedding anniversary with an extended motorcycle trip ... what a great gal! Some guy on advrider modified a sportster into a "dirtster" and did a cross-Asia trip. The Sportster is actually a great bike - tried and true.

The 883 does indeed have a very low center of gravity, and less ground clearance than the JH600. Realistically, though, some of the potholes you encounter in China require a 60 cm clearance. You're going to be pushing it around, no matter what you are riding. The difference between the bikes is, frankly, negligible in terms of how 99% of the riding is done. I really like both bikes ... a lot ... and I also really like my YBR125 ... and a little Honda CBF150 I just picked up. They are all really fun bikes.

But yeah ... the Harley accessories prices in China are just ridiculous.

I think the reason I said I'd get the JH600 is because I can buy 3 of them (1 black, 1 red ... and heck, I might even buy the slower blue one!) for the price of 1 Sportster. I dislike the Jialing company, but (in my experience) Harley China is not much better.

8. #8 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I never fail to be impressed by some of the trips some people do... brilliant.
    Maybe i'll get the Harley and start saving for a JH600 next year. Also, might get my parts on- line, im sure the missus wont mind sitting on the back guard for a few weeks ;)
    Do you mind me asking, how much do you pary for fully comp insurance? Im being quoted 8500.

9. #9 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlbion View Post
    Maybe i'll get the Harley and start saving for a JH600 next year. Also, might get my parts on- line, im sure the missus wont mind sitting on the back guard for a few weeks ;)
    Do you mind me asking, how much do you pary for fully comp insurance? Im being quoted 8500.
    I have a source in Beijing for reasonably priced Harley parts (keep in mind, "reasonable" is relative ... it works out to about the same as buying online, shipping, and dealing with Customs).

Here is a Harley Owners Group posting about insurance prices for Shanghai ....

http://www.hoghd.cn/viewthread.php?t...extra=page%3D1

Let me know if you have any problems seeing the post (I am not sure if one needs to be logged in as a HOG member)

Yeah, you won't regret getting a 883SL. Good luck!

10. #10 Re: Buying a Harley in China etc 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlbion View Post
    Hi MGAlbian,

Where is the place to buy a JH600?

Gra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast