Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Last week I was reading a thread about ST1300 on motorfans and came across a posting from an owner of a legal K1600GT in Shanghai, who found that his Shanghai A plate had been copied and was adorning a very similar (same colour, same topbox etc) K1600GT down in GuangDong. He had photos of all his paperwork proving legal import, taxes paid, plates issued and so on (removing any identifiable information though). He had photos posted of his bike and the plate, and quite a number of the K1600GT with the copies of his plates, and showed the few little subtle differences. Two of the differences were how the plate had been mounted on the rear of his K1600GT using the standard top holes for mounting the rear plate, versus the fake plates upon which two new holes had been drilled to the plate so that very slight obstruction of the number/letters occurred. For the uninitiated they'd likely never notice, and the obstruction was only subtle, and really almost not worth the effort. Any traffic camera would still pick up the total plate letter, number combo, so to my mind little is gained, mounting the plate in the manner it has been. The other other only visual difference was that the Shanghai legit bike had a LED brake light bar integrated into the top of the topbox, while this was missing in the 'fake' bike.

The interesting thing was that the legit owner didn't really have a beef with the fake, and would like to meet the fake bike owner... as they share the passion of motorcycling. A few of the posts in reply also were of the same thought process, while some doubted the whole post.

2. #22 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    ^another difference at least from observing the posted photos is that the two bikes share slightly different mufflers, note the cut-aways under the cans.

3. #23 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Why wait a year just get a load of fake plates made with your number ??? and if yours gets nicked dont tell the police just put back one of your fake plates and ride as normal "if" and when you do get stopped by the police the plate number will tie up with your VIN number for the bike so the police will not think it is fake or move out of Beijing
    It's not the first time that I read comments on the same line in the forum. If you clone your stolen plate and put it on your bike, sure it matches with VIN number and whatnot and sure the policeman that stops you will think it's not a fake. But the real point is this: then what happens when the guy that stole your plate gets a million tickets for speeding, or worse he uses his bike for criminal deeds? That's why you have to report your plate as stolen, so your identity won't be linked anymore with that license plate number!

Do you see my point?

I still don't see a rational, viable, legal solution to a 150'000rmb-worth stolen 沪A plate. That's one of the reasons I won't buy one. Cheers.

4. #24 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by vale46 View Post
    It's not the first time that I read comments on the same line in the forum. If you clone your stolen plate and put it on your bike, sure it matches with VIN number and whatnot and sure the policeman that stops you will think it's not a fake. But the real point is this: then what happens when the guy that stole your plate gets a million tickets for speeding, or worse he uses his bike for criminal deeds? That's why you have to report your plate as stolen, so your identity won't be linked anymore with that license plate number

Do you see my point?

I still don't see a rational, viable, legal solution to a 150'000rmb-worth stolen 沪A plate. That's one of the reasons I won't buy one. Cheers.

Yes i see your point very clear just like the person that bikerdoc talks about wear someone clone his plate ?? but he could prove by the pictures what was his bike and more likely the clone bike would be used not near you ?? so just with that fact alone you can clearly show it was not me ?? yes you could have a little bit of hag with the police but not as much as not having the use of your bike for a year or more

Do you see my point now

all bikes could be clone with a fake plate and not just the stolen ones
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #25 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    just a point when you pick a number for your bike why not pick the numbers "4" have you notices how many cars /bike dont have the number 4 in the plate ??? number 4 is for "death" in china so with loads of 4 in your plate no one is going to nick/clone it just my 2 cents

and maybe car divers will keep out of your way as well

A full list of what numbers mean in china can be seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #26 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    To give you a better idea of how our solution in NL looks like. Reproduction will get a small number added.

Car:

Motorcycle:

Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

7. #27 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    just a point when you pick a number for your bike why not pick the numbers "4" have you notices how many cars /bike dont have the number 4 in the plate ??? number 4 is for "death" in china so with loads of 4 in your plate no one is going to nick/clone it just my 2 cents

and maybe car divers will keep out of your way as well

A full list of what numbers mean in china can be seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
    True, but very few have the ability to choose ones numbers/plate. Serious guanxi is needed for that to occur.

8. #28 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    "True, but very few have the ability to choose ones numbers/plate. Serious guanxi is needed for that to occur. "

Yes no easy way around it but as we all say TIC. just happy i dont live in a big city

9. #29 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    To give you a better idea of how our solution in NL looks like. Reproduction will get a small number added.

Car:

The license plates in PRC, share some of the same security features, such as blind embossing of a certain symbol from the underside that raises the surface of the plate in several areas. Several hieroglyphics that are viewable depending on the viewing angle and ambient lighting. The fakes generally don't have these security features, nor older plates issued. Inconsistent enforcement is an issue, aside from fairness in the 'system' as well as multiple 'other' factors e.g. education, ability and willingness of authorities et al.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-02-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123