Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Yeah, it crossed my mind ... get duplicates made and use those on the bike. Keep the genuine ones in a locked safe at home.

But, of course, I would never do anything like that ... nope, not me
    Hey LJH, in the event that you come across a supplier from whom you would never order anything like this, could you let me know so that I can join you in ensuring that I also never do this?

2. #12 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Wow.
    Just W.O.W.
    Just read it and it sounds unbelievable. But quite imaginable. Probably the best option is to design some kind of clip-on plate holders or something of that sort so you could take them with you whenever you go home or to a shop.
    BTW, what happens if the plate is damaged?

3. #13 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    [COLOR=#848484 !important]Damn, I am thinking about getting a bike in BJ. Some of the bikers here told me the police don't really crack down on grey market or non plated bikes. I do see a few non plated bikes at Sanlitun. is it worth getting a bj plate now?[/COLOR]

4. #14 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Damn, I am thinking about getting a bike in BJ. Some of the bikers here told me the police don't really crack down on grey market or non plated bikes. I do see a few non plated bikes at Sanlitun. is it worth getting a bj plate now?
    Is it worth getting into an accident with(out) (fake)plate and having to pay an amount equal to or even more than the cost of a BJ plate? Perhaps being kicked out of the country!
    They don't really crack down at the moment, but when they do you might lose your bike, have trouble getting gas or can't easily sell your bike.

To get back on topic, what's a fake plate anyway? If someone stole my plates, I would get what some would call fake plates. Just because those plates weren't issued by the Traffic Management Bureau is the only thing that makes them fake, if I get a (fake) plate with my number (like in my papers) I'm basically still showing my bikes identity or whatever you'd like to call it. Which would still be better than driving without plates at all!

Be honest, who here is going to have a bike sitting in the garage because its plates were stolen?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #15 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Great news to report.

Effective a few days ago (July 26, 2013), the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau has implemented a new policy concerning A plates.

If you lose your A plate(s), either by theft of the whole bike or just the theft of the plates, you can now have them officially replaced. However, you have to file a police report (of course), and then wait a year (to give the authorities time to find the bike and/or plates). In one year, you can get new A plates issued.

Obviously, the policy isn't perfect (the 1 year waiting period), but this is so much better than before.

Progress ... with Chinese characteristics.

6. #16 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Any further details? After a year you will get new plates with the exact same number (someone else could be riding around with your number), or a new number?

In Netherlands the number plates are as following "XX-XX-XX", if you're plates were stolen and you have new ones issued you'll get the same number but with a small "1" on the first "dash". If that one would get stolen again, you'll get a small "2" on the dash and so on!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

7. #17 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Sorry, no more info. We probably won't know the details until it actually starts to happen, a year from now. Be a bummer if one had something like 88888 (most desirable) and has it replaced with 47474 (least desirable 4s & 7s).

Interesting how the NL deals with reissues. I guess if your plate has been stolen, and you have a reissue with the same number (and the extra "little number"), you'd probably be pulled over by the police on a regular basis.

8. #18 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Why wait a year just get a load of fake plates made with your number ??? and if yours gets nicked dont tell the police just put back one of your fake plates and ride as normal "if" and when you do get stopped by the police the plate number will tie up with your VIN number for the bike so the police will not think it is fake or move out of Beijing
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #19 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Sorry, no more info. We probably won't know the details until it actually starts to happen, a year from now. Be a bummer if one had something like 88888 (most desirable) and has it replaced with 47474 (least desirable 4s & 7s).

Interesting how the NL deals with reissues. I guess if your plate has been stolen, and you have a reissue with the same number (and the extra "little number"), you'd probably be pulled over by the police on a regular basis.
    Here in this city of Zhejiang, no plates with the 'A' prefix are issued, as all plates (motorcycles, cars, vans, buses etc) start with B. All A's issued plates are from Hangzhou and towns under that cities jurisdiction. The second digit in the series happens to be the district where the plate is issued. In my case this digit happens to be number '8' :) Consequently I can generally tell from looking at the prefix letter and the next number in the sequence where the licence plate is issued/place of vehicle owners registered residence (doesn't always mean they live there though since it is tied in with the persons Hukou).

All plates in this city are issued using a computer system.

The registering owner gets to push a button to stop a random selected set of plates spinning. The spinning combination is fast so that it is nearly impossible to really get exactly the plate combo one might like out of those being offered at the time. Once the button is pushed, 3 plate options are then presented, and the owner has a choice out of the 3 plates.

Me and a few others have plates with a combination of the highly desirable number 8, the only difference is that one of the numbers has to be a letter. Just plated my new bike the other day with 8_888 (underscore is where the letter goes) which joins two more in my fleet with the same combo - each though with a different letter. The other bikes belonging to friends with these combos are all HD's & one BMW R1200GS. Plates stolen or lost here, require issuing of new sets of numbers & plates, though with these special "8_888" plates that require guanxi to get in the first place, it's likely we'd get some special consideration. No one has had this problem though... touch wood. While the numbers themselves might be highly desirable, I'd think the plates are less attractive as a target for thieves as they are likely too distinctive than just an arbitrary set of random letters and numbers on some nondescript plate/bike.

Anyway these plates are not issued in the same manner as the above computer selection. The alternative method requires guanxi.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-02-2013 at 12:01 AM.

10. #20 Re: Only in Beijing? Protect your legal plate!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Why wait a year just get a load of fake plates made with your number ??? and if yours gets nicked dont tell the police just put back one of your fake plates and ride as normal "if" and when you do get stopped by the police the plate number will tie up with your VIN number for the bike so the police will not think it is fake or move out of Beijing
    1. Previously, if the bike was stolen, losing that 50K plate was rubbing salt in the wound. This was the key reason many people were upset. Bike thefts in Beijing have reached record numbers.
    2. Previously, if just the plate was stolen, you could get a fake one made ... but all the fake ones I have seen do not have the little security emblems built into them. Hence, an angry policeman could make your life miserable. Or, it would be obvious when you tried to scrap the bike & have a new plate issued. Or, if you sold the bike and the buyer tried to transfer the plate. Fake plates look good from a distance, but you can tell from up close ... and if I can tell, I'm damn sure the officials can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Me and a few others have plates with a combination of such numbers, the only difference is that one of the numbers has to be a letter. Just plated my new bike the other day with 8_888 (underscore is where the letter goes) which joins two more in my fleet with the same combo - each though with a different letter. The other bikes belonging to friends with these combos are all HD's & one BMW R1200GS. Plates stolen or lost here, require issuing of new sets of numbers & plates, though with these special "8_888" plates that require guanxi to get in the first place, it's likely we'd get some special consideration. No one has had this problem though... touch wood.
    That is cool that you have a matching series with great numbers. In Beijing, they seem to have cracked down on A plate issuances, and plate numbers are always issued sequentially. I've heard from a plate agent that, in Beijing, when a desirable number is due to come up (e.g., 66666 was recently issued), a dealer and/or agent will time the scrappings/transfers so that the dealer/agent will do a few dozen bikes at the same time. This is one of the reasons why, sometimes, the dealer/agent might say you have to wait a few weeks to get plates ... and why the plate number I always seem to get is a few numbers away from a really cool number. Its tough being a nobody.

In Beijing, the B plates are an entirely different kettle of fish. Because the government still issues new B plates (i.e., the number of B plates on the road is not fixed), and it does so in the satellite TMB offices throughout Beijing (each office has its own stock of B plates), one can get lucky. But B plates also have to be issued sequentially from the stock pile (the TMB computer demands this). A guy just posted on a Chinese website that he just bought his first ever motorcycle/scooter, and when he B-plated it, he got the cool number W0000, from an office in the West of Beijing. Good for him - nice intro to 2 wheels!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast