Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Motorcycle Reconstruction - TAC tv road safety commercial 
    C-Moto Guru
    For those of you with a working VPN. Scarey, but it's meant to be. Having had similar accidents at higher speeds myself I guess it's just luck sometimes. I always tell myself "had I been going a few k slower". Keep in mind, the car in this video is showing typical driver behaviour for China. The rider, however, is not. I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT666...layer_embedded

2. #2 Re: Motorcycle Reconstruction - TAC tv road safety commercial 
    You've got parked cars everywhere restricting vision and junctions everywhere in this clip. In this case the rider was not riding defensively enough. You absolutely MUST presume that at every junction there will be a car or other vehicle about to pull onto the road if it is obscured by parked vehicles. If you see a car or other vehicle in the intersection you MUST presume that he/she hasn't seen you and will pull out. This is simply how you stay alive anywhere, but especially in Asia, although many people become complacent in western countries.

The policeman is being far too simplistic. I agree that going slower would have played a part, but it's not the whole picture. Sticking to speed limits or not is a nice simple cut and dry thing that police love because it is a simple boundary that can be easily enforced. The reality is outside a primary/junior school in whatever speed zone I'd ride past at 20kmh in the wet at 3pm, and likely up to 80kmh at 3am in the dry as the circumstances are completely different.

Also you must presume every other road user is an idiot that's just the basics of defensive riding, so I'm not trying to defend the car driver who was clearly in the wrong.

3. #3 Re: Motorcycle Reconstruction - TAC tv road safety commercial 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    You've got parked cars everywhere restricting vision and junctions everywhere in this clip. In this case the rider was not riding defensively enough.
    Yep, gold star. Looking at that road from the driver's perspective makes me cringe and want to reach for the brakes. No way I would have been going over 40 on that road.

The part I really find surprising is the 21 meter skidmark after he locks the rear brake at 68. I guess my bike is a lot lighter than the Yamaha in the video but still, thinking he should have been able to slow down much more effectively than he did. I am not a physicist however.

4. #4 Re: Motorcycle Reconstruction - TAC tv road safety commercial 
    Never mind

5. #5 Re: Motorcycle Reconstruction - TAC tv road safety commercial 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    For those of you with a working VPN. Scarey, but it's meant to be. Having had similar accidents at higher speeds myself I guess it's just luck sometimes. I always tell myself "had I been going a few k slower". Keep in mind, the car in this video is showing typical driver behaviour for China. The rider, however, is not. I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT666...layer_embedded
    TAC take a more proactive approach to public education, important reason for dealing with road traffic accidents - the attitudes and behavior of road users. TAC's accident prevention strategy has evolved into a wide range of road safety issues.