Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 QingQi "Rock" X-Bike - Feedback wanted from factory! 
    Hey Gang,

Many moons ago, on the suggestion of Supersignet, I sent in a Photoshoped image of a prototype bike based on their current models I thought would help give QingQi motors a unique product and dubbed it the "QingQi Rock".

- QingQi "Rock" Concept Image -
    click for larger

Lo and behold, the idea was taken seriously by the good folks at QingQi RnD who actually produced a working prototype (photos below).

Now QingQi has asked me to put the images to the community in order to get some feedback and responses on the model and it's design. You'll see it's a mixture of the 200GY motard and the 2D model yielding a bike with:

- Dual sport and commuting potential
    - 22L (~5 gallon tank for) for about 300miles tank range
    - Wide soft contoured seat
    - Drop-in 250cc engine potential
    - 17" front wheel with 18" back
    - Relatively long wheel-base
    - High exhaust pipe

This is a rare and welcome chance to be heard in the industry folks so be honest, thoughtful and polite since there's a good chance people from the factory will be following this thread.

More details and reasons are better than less. Remember this is an experimental bike and NOT a production model. They are interested in your feedback about this model only. Some topics might include:

1) Looks - How does it look to you and what is your first impression? What style changes do you like or dislike and why?

2) Technical - What technical features does the bike already have that you appreciate? What features are missing that you would like to see added?

3) Market Position - How well do you think it would compete in the market? Would you buy one and how much would you pay? Do any other manufacturers make similar models? Does it remind you of a different bike?

Besides comments, feel free to do your own Photoshop work and show us what you're thinking. Thanks guys and let's hear what you have to say!

- QingQi "Rock" Experimental Cross-Moto Bike -

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

Paz,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

2. #2 Qingqi Rock prototype 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    That looks great. I would welcome a lower seat height as the 200GY are a little too much for me. There are lots of short potential customers about as several European and Japanese makers are now realising and are accomodating them by offering lowering kits , lower seat options, etc.
    Just google "lowering kits"...There have been lots of manufacturers that have ignored shorties at their peril, anyone remember the "oil in the frame" BSA's?, the Hesketh superbike?. Lots of potential customers put off by excessive seat heights and driven to custom cruisers...

A rear luggage carrier option would be good. It was incorporated in your mock-up but not in the prototype. They could sell as many as they can make, as lots of people want to fit trunks, etc. The Spanish importer has no idea of where I can get a carrier for mine, even though I pointed out to him that the factory have such an item to fit the 200GY dual-sport version, but so far, nothing.

They seem to have fitted the same handlebars as the motard, and as you've pointed out before, it's not easy to stand up on the footpegs with those. A slightly higher set of bars would be nice.

They've used a rear drum brake, although the later versions of the motard have a disc. I know that the drum works OK, but lots of people want to see a disc at the rear as well. Call it fashion, etc but a cursory look at forums shows that it's what they want.

The rear view mirrors are like my motards. Totally useless and only good to see your elbows. Longer stems would sort that out.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Looks very nice. I like the round front light, easy to add a small windshield above. Based on my little experience with my new to me QM200, here my remarks which recoup Forchetto's ones:

* Rear mirrors too narrow. Perhaps due to the narrow handlebar which seems not to have a standard diameter tube.
    * Rear drum brake is weak, I've been surprised 2 or 3 times
    * Seat a little bit high for daily commute but good for dirt roads
    * Decent bag carrier (QM200 is fine)
    * Storage below the seat with a lock to open it easily
    * Low front fender for a DS bike
    * Low gas warning light
    * Partial mileage counter
    * Kick start and a center stand (or a longer side stand) will be welcome but not mandatory
    * few more HP for mountain roads and overtaking.

By the way can we have some info/reference about the tires mounted on this bike. Look like real DS tires, are they local production?

Overall the QingQi is a good bike, Wife and daughter have ride it and they enjoy it very much. Bravo QingQi!

Looks like an interesting concept. Pretty tough to blend dual sport and commuter in one bike. 17" front with an 18" rear does not give you a lot of tire choices for the street and that's a very strange combination (geometry) for off road use.

#1 First Impression: Nice looking general purpose motorcycle.

#2 Technical features I like:
    * Good size gas tank.
    * USD forks.
    * Skid plate.
    * Nice tail section design.

#2 Technical features missing:
    * Disk brake in the rear.
    * Rubber foot pegs. Dirt bike pegs vibrate too much.
    * Higher handlebars with bar end weights and real hand guards that actually block the wind and rain.
    * A luggage rack.
    * A gas gauge or a trip meter. Not having either is rather difficult.
    * Kick starter.
    * Center stand.
    * Optional small front fairing, something like the old Suzuki Bandit 400.

#3 Market position:
    QingQi already has a pretty good spread of bikes now that they added the QM250-2D and the QM250GY-B(ASD).

How well do you think it would compete in the market?
    One bike trying to fill the role of two or three is not going to do well against competing bikes better suited to a single purpose. The Japanese have failed many times with "practical" motorcycles because the market just isn't practical. I think there may even be a chance that this model would canabilise sales of other Qing Qi models.

Would you buy one and how much would you pay?
    I would pay the same as their other bikes. 1500-1800 USD. There is nothing new in this design, just shuffling around of parts.

Do any other manufacturers make similar models? Does it remind you of a different bike?
    Not really, and that's a good thing. Nice to look at a new Chinese bike and not immediately assume it's a copy of one of the Japanese models.

It's nice to see Qing Qi making an effort to listen to consumers, something that other manufacturers seem to have stopped doing decades ago.

I will restrain myself from any negative comments about parts availability etc.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

C-Moto Noob
    hay this is actually quite nice, the sort of motard meets mamba feeling although a streetfighter headlight would complement this bike much better.
    i love this idea it would do great on the market

Misfit,

What do you mean by "streetfighter" headlight?

CC

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Misfit,
    What do you mean by "streetfighter" headlight?
    CC
    Just googled it and this came up:

Nice, if you're keen on regurgitation...
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

ACK!

That's the Acerbis lamp set-up. I was never crazy about it and have almost never seen it used in on a bike that actually looked good.

CC

Wow...I've been sleeping too long. This bike looks pretty good. I'm sure if they kept the suspension setup used on the QM200GY this bike would work well. The USD forks look great and the bike itself looks amazing. Too bad I don't have one to ride. Just need some boxes on the back and you'd be ready to go.

'

I wish Qing Qi would make this bike for me. If I could get my hands on a new QM250GY-B(ASD), I would buy the extra parts and try myself. Unfortunately, I am told, the QM250GY-B(ASD) is not available anywhere. Guess they are not producing the bike until they get a major order.

My version of the QM250GY - Dualsport
    New 250cc motor
    Rear Rack
    Kick Starter
    Hand Guards
    Front Tire Spoke 90/90-19
    Rear Tire Spoke 120/90-17
    Front Brake Disc brake, Single
    Rear Brake Disc brake, Single

Carl, I think the original idea you put forth was pretty cool, but they removed the off road ability and went a little more motard than I would like in the prototype.

I wonder if Qing Qi could change the wheels to 90/90-21 front and 120/90-17 rear. Those are the sizes on the KLR and Transalp, there are plenty of tire choices for those sizes.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 10-30-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: oops... wrong tire size for the KLR & Transalp

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast