Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Are these Chinese bikes reliable? 
    C-Moto Noob
    So I stumbled upon these Chinese bikes by accident and found this forumm by googling the bike's model name:

MC_D250RTC

http://www.scooterdepot.us/250cc-str...les-p-744.html

I have to admit that I'm very intrigued.

I live in Honolulu and would like something better than a crappy little 50cc scooter or an incredibly old looking Ninja 250 for $2000.

I'm not a bike mechanic by any means but I think that I could work on them a bit if it came down to it. I can certainly change the oil. My question is though - how reliable are these bikes? $2000 for a 250cc that *looks* the way it does is an absolute steal! I know that people say there's going to be limited support but if they're really reliable I don't see a problem. For something as reliable as a Ninja 250, for example, I would be fine buying it without any support nearby since I know that the chances of it actually needing help are very very low. They just keep on running no matter what, it seems.

So, any word on reliability? I just want a reliable bike for transportation that's faster than a scooter and more respectable-looking than a 1985 Honda Hilux or 2000 Ninja 250 ;)

2. #2 Re: Are these Chinese bikes reliable? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No they are not. The engine/transmission is the Lifan 250cc CLONE and though parts are reasonably inexpensive if you know what you're doing (Piston and ring set is only $19 new on ebay), they are by far the cheapest Pep Boys quality bike out there (because they literally sell these at Pep Boys, no kidding). I just finished rebuilding that bike for a friend and even with all new parts it was terrible. It shifts like an old WWII tank, the gears are very short and the engine is extremely unbalanced and vibrates the frame much more than most dirt bikes. Key words, dirt bikes. Look real closely at the frame, spring, and swing arm. Here's a few pics of the one I just rebuilt identical to that one.

He sold it for $400 last week after it was rebuilt and was glad to be done with it.