Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: M1NSK ERX 250

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
  1. #121 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hayes Diversified Technology seems to have changed its hame to Hayes Diesel Technology and may no longer be retrofitting Kawasakis for the US Marines, since the "military" tab on the home page is just a holding page.

The "history" tab has the following overview:

Military Motorcycles:

In early 1981 the United States Army put forth a Request for Proposal for the first official production of tactical military motorcycles since World War II.

Hayes was able to combine its experience as a government contractor with many years of successful off-road motorcycle development to put together the winning bid.

As a result of our proposal, Hayes was awarded the first modern military motorcycle contract.

Since that first contract, Hayes has been awarded more than 45 contracts, resulting in over 2500 military motorcycles being delivered to the U.S. and allied military forces.

Our latest military motorcycle production contract was for 466 modified Kawasaki KLR650s. Previous contracts had been based on the KLR250. The move to the bigger, more powerful 650 was seen as somewhat of a risk for the Marine Corps. However, the risk paid off. The modified KLR650, now known as the M1030B1 Marine Corps motorcycle has proved to be the best performing, most reliable tactical military motorcycle now in service with any military organization. This includes competitive machines from BMW and KTM.

Diesel Fueled Military Motorcycles In 1984 all NATO military forces adopted a long-term goal of a "single battlefield fuel" to reduce the logistics burden of supplying gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation gasoline, and aviation kerosene (jet fuel). The objective was to convert or replace all existing fueled equipment, including trucks, tanks, light transport equipment, and aircraft to operate on aviation kerosene.

To implement the single battlefield fuel concept, the U.S. Navy announced in 1997 that, beginning in the year 2005, they would no longer transport or supply gasoline in any form. They would only supply "heavy" fuels, such as, diesel and jet fuel.

At that time there were only two major tactical military systems still using gasoline, small field generator sets and motorcycles. The military approached both generator set and motorcycle manufacturers to determine what alternatives might be available. The generator set manufacturers responded immediately with some diesel fueled options. However, all the motorcycle manufacturers approached indicated that a diesel fueled motorcycle was neither commercially practical, cost effective, or, in some cases even possible given the performance requirements.

As a last resort, the U.S. Marine Corps requested proposals from all interested sources, offering to pay for the development of a diesel/jet fuel powered military motorcycle through the Small Business Innovation Research Program (SBIR). They received over 40 responses. The Marine Corps selected two companies for the initial feasibility study, Hayes and a small company in Oklahoma.

After reviewing the studies from both companies, Hayes was selected as the sole source for Phase II, which was to actually produce a total of 15 diesel motorcycles.

Hayes successfully completed the first part of Phase II in May of 2001, when they demonstrated the first motorcycle that used a diesel engine specifically designed as a motorcycle engine. The motorcycle exceeded all expectations and was received with great acclaim by both the news media and potential military customers.

The final part of the Phase II effort was completed in September of 2001 when a total of nine diesel motorcycles completed two field user trials conducted by the Marine Corps.

Hayes entered into a Phase III contract for the production of 214 M1030M1 JP8/Diesel Combat Motorcycles. That contract was completed in early 2010. We continue to develop and refine the design and technology to meet the challenges of the future of Military Motorcycles.

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #122 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    Even I am having trouble keeping up with this thread….

The M1nsk 250ERX is being offered with a DOHC 250 single it likely is the same engine used in the Megelli.

TheM1nsk RX 450 is for sure coming from Beta in Italy.

I do not think that the marines gave up the 650KLR, they may have bought some of the AWD motorcycles, but the source of that information is the company that is selling them. They would be totally different bikes for totally different missions, neither of which I would want to be part of, I think I would prefer something armored or remotely controlled or be in Switzerland.

The assumption that if it is being sold to the military, that it must be well made, offers a reason to make up the sale or exaggerate the sale, and also question was there really even a sale.

3. #123 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    If I worked for the military in procurements, then I would have to be sure it was a reliable and from stable source and that the product met quality standards. I do not and cannot see that today.

The military would not need to ensure that the engine is not violating any of Hondas intellectual property rights, but if I was involved I would bring that issue up, because it is Honda that could interject and stop the supply at its source if it was the case. So that would violate the stable source criteria? If the source is sued and looses then the source can become insolvent or simply ordered by the courts to stop selling them.

So Honda would have to be addressed, are these ok to buy they look like they are yours?

4. #124 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    In a dirtrider magazine Christini explain that 450 have a diferent head desing than the Honda.So i figure they did this to avoid intelectual rigths. Regarding to the Christini sell to the army maybe is a promotion to the brand.There is another 450cc dirtbike that use the Asiawing 450 engine. X Moto they retired from the lineup early in the year an now bring it back.They said it was corrected (I dont know what problem they haved) but Rosciano moto from italy retire from his lineup.What can you tell me about this brand Xmotostornadomecanico@yahoo.comhot bike 450 rr- 1.jpg.They look pretty famous around the world.

5. #125 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    Christini may need its own thread? The people behind the technology seem to have been working on it for some time. It has been applied to other brand names and the added costs of the front drive prevents it from being embraced in the market.

That would explain why it is now showing up on the Asia wings 450? For cost control, but the devil is in that detail and made in china prevents or distracts.

So it is not only now a matter of proving the AWD technology, it now is that and also proving the supplier and it components in the products.

Its odd because, well who needs it, I do not think it is sanctioned for racing and eventually could be in its own class for racing? I do not personally need one, I do not need to climb mountains, I am not the type to pay that much to play on a dirt track others are though but I think they also enter races and that leads back to its not sanctioned in any classes, I really do not know.

As for the Rosciano moto, they come off as made in Chitaly?
    http://www.roscianomoto.it/index.php...107&Itemid=350

6. #126 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    If I worked for the military in procurements, then I would have to be sure it was a reliable and from stable source and that the product met quality standards.

The military would not need to ensure that the engine is not violating any of Hondas intellectual property rights
    Maybe that was what the actual purchase was. Purchasing procures a small order, maybe twelve, to do due diligence. The manu. Gets all excited and announces "military contract!" - forgetting to mention it's for 12, and only for due diligence...
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

7. #127 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    Hi guys finally i found what it appears to be the army order of Christini motorcycles! Its about 90 of then!file:///C:/Users/TOSHIBA/Documents/All-wheel%20Drive%20Motorcycles%20May%20Catch%20on%20w ith%20Army%20to%20Christini%E2%80%99s%20Gain%20_%2 0Ben%20Franklin%20SEP.htm

8. #128 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    Sorry that is the site.All-wheel Drive Motorcycles May Catch on with Army to Christini’s Gain _ Ben Franklin SEP.htm

9. #129 Re: M1NSK ERX 250 
    Actually you posted a link to the hard drive on your Toshiba laptop,

Here is the link...

That article is a a regurgitation from this article.

Steve Christini (center) with his crew and one of his AWD motorcycles.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213