Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Is this possible: Getting a motorcycle license in Hangzhou and plating the bike 折A? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all, some backgrounder first: I'm a Filipino foreign student studying medicine in Hangzhou (dry city), and I'll be staying here for the greater portion of a decade. I currently have one of these DIY fake Yamaha Cygnus Z scooters which I've grown dissatisfied with, and am selling it soon. This isn't the ride I want to license.

I'm planning on getting a Regal Raptor DD125E-5F in a few months but I would like it to be legal, at least as much as possible. I understand I will have to do two things: 1) Get a Chinese 2-wheel motorcycle license in Hangzhou and 2) Apply for and get a license plate for the cruiser.

Do you guys think this plan is viable?
    1. Go back to my country and get the motorcycle license.
    2. Bring it to China, and go through all the necessary legal hoops no matter how long it takes.
    3. Temporarily move to (or temporarily acquire) new residence to either Yuhang district or Xiaoshan district. (which are still wet)
    4. Apply for a 折A license plate in Yuhang or Xiaoshan and get it. Move back afterwards. (I'm in Xihu district and will be moving to Xiacheng in 2 years)
    5. Purchase the Regal Raptor and screw the license plates on it.
    6. Ride around Hangzhou downtown, or at least the outskirts of the city proper near Yuhang district without fear of the cops.

I've also found other options such as simply purchasing 折A license plates from other people or using someone else's name and address to register or buying a second hand plated Regal Raptor but if possible I'd like to be straight as a ruler with this.

Thanks, guys.

2. #2 Re: Is this possible: Getting a motorcycle license in Hangzhou and plating the bike 折 
    There are a few hurdles with your plan..

1. Go back to my country and get the motorcycle license.
    You can take the whole license in China, so no need.
    2. Bring it to China, and go through all the necessary legal hoops no matter how long it takes.
    as above
    3. Temporarily move to (or temporarily acquire) new residence to either Yuhang district or Xiaoshan district. (which are still wet)
    'Wet'. As in allow bikes? How about just register it in the name of a Chinese friend from that area with their ID card?
    4. Apply for a 折A license plate in Yuhang or Xiaoshan and get it. Move back afterwards. (I'm in Xihu district and will be moving to Xiacheng in 2 years)
    5. Purchase the Regal Raptor and screw the license plates on it.

Order the bike you like with a deposit, and blackmail the dealer for the rest of the money when he sorts out the registration. Think about buying a different bike. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Sundiro Honda CBF150 or Jianshe Yamaha YBR125. I've got a Regal Raptor DD250G-2, and it isn't anywhere good as a Joint venture bike in quality.
    6. Ride around Hangzhou downtown, or at least the outskirts of the city proper near Yuhang district without fear of the cops.
    Always avoid them even if you are legal.

3. #3 Re: Is this possible: Getting a motorcycle license in Hangzhou and plating the bike 折 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'll be going back to my country for summer vacation (yes, school!) next month anyway so I think I can just take it there and do the translation here. If that doesn't work, then it's good to know I can take the entire thing here. Actually, while I'm still here in HZ I should probably start researching how to get the license from scratch. Luckily there's a major police station nearby.

'Wet'. As in allow bikes? How about just register it in the name of a Chinese friend from that area with their ID card?
    Yes, wet as in allows bikes. There are 3 districts in Hangzhou that still allows motorcycles: Yuhang, Xiaoshan, and Binjiang.
    Is it really okay, legally, to have another person (friend, shop) register the bike and get license plates for you? If yes, then I'll just buy the bike with license plates on it.. But how can I check its authenticity, then?

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Sundiro Honda CBF150 or Jianshe Yamaha YBR125. I've got a Regal Raptor DD250G-2, and it isn't anywhere good as a Joint venture bike in quality.
    I'm in the market only for a budget cruiser (for now), I'll might move onto a joint-venture Yamaha somewhere in the future though.

4. #4 Re: Is this possible: Getting a motorcycle license in Hangzhou and plating the bike 折 
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDustCell
    If yes, then I'll just buy the bike with license plates on it.. But how can I check its authenticity, then?
    Borrow a Chinese friend's (someone you can genuinely trust) ID card, sometimes a photocopy is enough (2-3mao) and give it to the dealer plus a 5-10% deposit. Give the dealer your phone number and tell him to call when the bike is ready to be ridden home and do not accept any excuses.

The bike will be legal to be ridden by you as long as you have a Chinese M/C license. If you want to buy next years insurance you'll need the ID card no. If you want to change the registration name if you decide to sell it you may need the original ID card, a photocopy or only the number depending on the Gong An office.

You can buy the bike in your name possibly if you have a residency visa such as a student or working visa, but it is much more hassle.