Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Triumph / China

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Triumph / China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    -''Not sure what makes Triumphs "iconic" any more; the story does not say which models they'll be rolling out in India.''

well, the same thing that has always made them iconic , they've always, been just a little off and out of the mainstream,
    and always provided either a performance (and as in the case of your 74' Daytona - lack thereof) or styling that sets them apart. check out the website and have an objective look - from a design standpoint - they are unique and consider maybe of the performance models they are also making statements. Triumph has had a brilliant run at marketing this , the market claim they staked (the iconic image they've created) - they've been able to maintain for a great many years.

but to ask that question - i think you also need to ask - what makes ANY motorcycle iconic ? what makes MVAugusta it is an icon, or even HD ? and have they all really maintained that public perception ?
    interesting question. it's something that seems to lack more and more , or is it that we simply see it less in China ?

2. #32 Re: Triumph / China 
    Marketing, sell a lifestile idea

3. #33 Re: Triumph / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Marketing, sell a lifestile idea
    Motorcycles are part of the lifestyle idea from the moment they were not solely used for transportation, and that is a bloody long time ago in the Western world.
    The brands who refused to jump that train vanished one after an other.

4. #34 Re: Triumph / China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ''Motorcycles are part of the lifestyle idea from the moment they were not solely used for transportation, and that is a bloody long time ago in the Western world.
    The brands who refused to jump that train vanished one after an other. ''

are you saying that manufacturers who dont build bikes that suit a lifetsyle idea or 'image ' have vanished ?
    sorry - i'm not being pedantic - i just wasnt certain ...

5. #35 Re: Triumph / China 
    For the Western world / manufacturers, yes, that is what I am saying.

6. #36 Re: Triumph / China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Let's have a shot at this ...

Harley - I'm a freedom-oriented individual, who wants to be different from the rest, and my pipes communicate that.
    Victory - I'm a freedom-oriented individual, who really wants to be different from the rest, but also enjoys modern technology
    Ducati - I pull away from the pack at break-neck speeds. Envies Silvio Berlusconi (young girls & no taxes)
    Vespa - Urban sophisticate - a hipster lifestyle - probably wears white-framed eye-glasses, unnecessarily
    BMW - I'm a rich sophisticate, who leaves the city limits ... if there is a Starbucks out there
    Triumph - Rough & tough, with an edge of raw excitement, but can't stomach being seen on a Harley
    Honda - Safe, secure and reliable - probably a family man
    Yamaha - Same as Honda, a family man, but with a touch of sportiness
    Kawasaki - Same as Ducati, although with reliability, but Kawasaki-green envy of a real Ducati
    Suzuki - Confused person - not really sure what I want
    Brammo/Zero electrics - Nerd, and a major consumer of Apple products
    Chinese bikes - into pain & punishment ... B&D, S&M
    Sidecars - into 3somes
    Chinese sidecars (CJs) - into 3somes with ugly people

7. #37 Re: Triumph / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Let's have a shot at this ...

Harley - I'm a freedom-oriented individual, who wants to be different from the rest, and my pipes communicate that.
    Victory - I'm a freedom-oriented individual, who really wants to be different from the rest, but also enjoys modern technology
    Ducati - I pull away from the pack at break-neck speeds. Envies Silvio Berlusconi (young girls & no taxes)
    Vespa - Urban sophisticate - a hipster lifestyle - probably wears white-framed eye-glasses, unnecessarily
    BMW - I'm a rich sophisticate, who leaves the city limits ... if there is a Starbucks out there
    Triumph - Rough & tough, with an edge of raw excitement, but can't stomach being seen on a Harley
    Honda - Safe, secure and reliable - probably a family man
    Yamaha - Same as Honda, a family man, but with a touch of sportiness
    Kawasaki - Same as Ducati, although with reliability, but Kawasaki-green envy of a real Ducati
    Suzuki - Confused person - not really sure what I want
    Brammo/Zero electrics - Nerd, and a major consumer of Apple products
    Chinese bikes - into pain & punishment ... B&D, S&M
    Sidecars - into 3somes
    Chinese sidecars (CJs) - into 3somes with ugly people

Here's my take on it:

Harley - I don't care about the ride much, I care about my bike and the message it says about me and my lifestyle.
    Victory - I don't care about the ride much, I care about my bike and the message it says about me and my lifestyle but I want to be a bit different from a Harley, have even more power and heft.
    Ducati - I crave the best performance at any cost: financial or reliability.
    Vespa - Urban sophisticate - The way I appear to others is of utmost importance, metrosexually.
    BMW - My bike should be more reliable than a Japanese bike, but it isn't and it's confusing me.
    Triumph - Rough & tough, with an edge of raw excitement, but can't stomach being seen on a Harley (unless it is an XR1200). I want a bike as reliable as a Honda but with more personality.
    Moto Guzzi - I an urban hipster, too tough for a scooter too intelligent for a Harley, need to make a style statement so don't want a Honda.
    Honda - I want the best bike to ride and own on the road. I don't care about making a lifestyle statement, I just want to ride, to some that's the coolest thing.
    Yamaha - Same as Honda, but sometimes better and sometimes worse, but better marketing.
    Kawasaki - I want a bike cheaper than Honda, my bike might be as good if I have done my research.
    Suzuki - I want a reasonably priced stonking good bike, my bike revs 20% higher than a similar Honda, who wants to live forever?
    Chinese bikes - into pain & punishment ... I could have bought a 2nd hand Honda instead of a new Chinese bike - I'm a motorcycle noob or smart mechanical engineering student. If I bought a Japanese branded Chinese bike - I'm frugal and well informed. If I live in China - it was this or a bank heist or a bike with an engine from a lawn mower.
    Sidecars - I don't care if it doesn't lean, I'm not a biker, I call bikes 'solos'.

8. #38 Re: Triumph / China 
    Chinese bike: I don't give a rats arse about my image , I live in chinar and just want cheap transport

9. #39 Re: Triumph / China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hmmm - now for combinations of more than one brand of motorcycles...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234