Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Triumph / China

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Triumph / China 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Quite a few rumors flying around about TRIUMPH launching officially in 2012 with dealerships in China, one dealership apparently opening along HuQingPing Highway (China National Highway 318 / Shanghai).
    Will it happen or just talk and rumors for the next few years?

Lately bike magazines feature the new Triumph Tiger with headlines like: "Move Over BMW" -The Design of Britain's New Adventurer- / "Is It All Over For The GS" -BMW meets Triumph-.......

2. #2 Re: Triumph / China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    A couple of lady-friends from home (Vancouver) own BMW 650s, but were given a pair of new Triumph Tigers (by Triumph Canada) to do a return trip Van <-> Arctic Ocean. Their 2011 ride report is on advrider. Anyways, they both loved the Triumphs, although one developed a persistent stalling problem (huh? So it is not only the JH600!?!?!?!?!).

Personally, I still have nightmares about a late 60s Triumph I experienced in the early 1970s - it drank quarts of oil, and the electrics were, well, British. But I do like the rugged looks of Triumphs ... something "raw" about them. Be great if the rumors materialize.

But the GS will always have a place in the hearts of people who love to farkle. Harley riders have their chrome, GS riders have their farkles, scooter riders have their stickers ... that reminds me, I need to buy some more stickers.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 05-16-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: grammar / typos

3. #3 Re: Triumph / China 
    I'm a massive fan of Triumph. Clearly all the bikes destined for China will be assembled in Thailand, but the parts will likely made world-wide, including Britain, Thailand and Taiw*n. Now I'm worrying about the prices and the available range.

I have a nasty suspicion that cruisers are going to be popular in China. I think the Classics may also sell well, particularly the Bonneville. Other models I worry won't be available.

Sure to sell well in China:

022310-triumph-bonneville-t100-black.jpg
    Bonneville T100

2012-Triumph-RocketIII-Rocket3-Roadsterc-small.jpg
    Triumph Rocket III Roadster

4. #4 Re: Triumph / China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Triumph. Clearly all the bikes destined for China will be assembled in Thailand, but the parts will likely made world-wide, including Britain, Thailand and Taiw*n. Now I'm worrying about the prices and the available range.
    They might bring them in as completely knocked down (CKD) kits similar as Triumph in India, time will tell......

Bonneville T100 / Triumph Rocket III Roadster
    You can find both imported legally and illegal in China........

5. #5 Re: Triumph / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing
    You can find both imported legally and illegal in China........
    I know that you could get a Trumpy if you are desperate. I'm hoping I might be able to get a Street Triple + dealer backup + parts + warranty. However I want value for money, I'm happy to pay a regular 'world' price or even up 30% more than that, but I ain't keen on giving the Chinese taxman 120%, because it's too much for me, and unfair international trade practice. Plus I think riding illegal is BS.

They might bring them in as completely knocked down (CKD) kits similar as Triumph in India, time will tell......
    If they can find a way to do the kits it might be able to keep the prices down, I'd be in. However the bikes end up 120% more than in my home country, I think I'd rather try my luck with a GW250 or Benelli.

I'd maybe get a Bonnie If I couldn't go Street Triple.

6. #6 Re: Triumph / China 
    Banned
    Few month ago, two green T100 Bonnie's (brand-new legal import bikes) were for sale at Joy Motor around the 100K RMB mark (as far as I recall).........

7. #7 Re: Triumph / China 
    Few month ago, two green T100 Bonnie's (brand-new legal import bikes) were for sale at Joy Motor around the 100K RMB mark (as far as I recall).........
    UK price is £6199 incl 20% VAT (sales tax). I ain't paying over 70,000 RMB in China for one, end of story.

8. #8 Re: Triumph / China 
    UK price is £6199 incl 20% VAT (sales tax). I ain't paying over 70,000 RMB in China for one, end of story.
    And there is my problem too. I'd rather just go home and buy one at world prices and not have to put up with lunatic death wish Chinese drivers.

9. #9 Re: Triumph / China 
    I know that you could get a Trumpy if you are desperate. I'm hoping I might be able to get a Street Triple + dealer backup + parts + warranty. However I want value for money, I'm happy to pay a regular 'world' price or even up 30% more than that, but I ain't keen on giving the Chinese taxman 120%, because it's too much for me, and unfair international trade practice. Plus I think riding illegal is BS.

Wondering how a street triple would go as an ADV bike.The only draw back I think would be fitting side paniers.

10. #10 Re: Triumph / China 
    Banned
    ....or wait for the Triumph Tiger ADV bike to be sold in ML China.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast