Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I HAVE FINALLY SOLD THIS BEAST AT FULL PRICE TODAY. Thank God that nightmare is over!

I just finished a two week tour on a Kymco 250cc Bet and Win. Ran like a champ. Never cut off or stalled. Quality control is very important. I'll be sticking with more reputable companies in the futre. But never again will I buy anything made by Benzhou!

2. #42 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Wow, unbelievable. Just read from the first post to post 41 above.

Sorry to read of your misadventures and experiences with what sounds like a less than reputable motorcycle dealer and importer. Shame on them! Operating like that, they need to be kicked out of the industry! There are some good Chinese made scoots and motorcycles... I've been to quite a few motorcycle/scooter manufacturing sites over the 10+ year here in China and have seen most of them. I've had better than good experiences with CFMoto products, here's the Canadian link to the CFMoto importer

I'd like to add that aside form all the mechanical suggestions to which you have already stated you and your buddy bon't have inclination for, doesn't Canada (like most developed/first world countries) have some form of government legislated/statutory consumer protection watch dog? If so, I would be lodging a complaint there. I understand and appreciate that you have now sold the bike (privately? another dealer as a trade for the Kymco?), but I think it is really important to use ever legal avenue to seek redress from both the dealer and SAGA Canda. I think you should also be linking in the dealers name here and the other forums you've posted on as a warning to other would-be buyers. As you outlined in one of your posts, that you too had tried to find some information about SAGA scooters before making your purchase decision (due diligence), and couldn't find any. Now there is some data. Aside from your scootdawg post, have you forumed elsewhere like www.maxi-scoot.com at all? The more you can comment about your experiences in as many avenues the better informed we all are and especially noobie buyers. Must say tongue in cheek though that the name SAGA is quite fitting, given your experiences. I wondered also why you hadn't considered the Kycmo Downtown 300i? There are some great reviews about that maxi, and personally there wouldn't be that much of a difference between a 250 verses 300 IMO. You may have found that even though Kymco Canada weren't listing any models you were wanting to consider, that some of the Kymco dealers didin't have old stock still in inventory?

So, even though you are finally done with the SAGA (no pun intended) I'd recommend that you lay a complaint with the consumer protection agency/fair trading authorities in Canada and provide them with all your evidence, if for no other reason to either have SAGA shape up and meet the minimum standards of fair trade, or force them to close down and let those honest operators to have a viable business in this very competitive global market.

So when you get a moment how the last of your time with the SAGA transpired?

Just my two cents worth, or a those of us who are in China say... 2 kuais worth.

3. #43 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    We love happy endings here in MCM so very happy to read about yours. I hope you'll stick around and post from time to time, and we'd love to see pix of you and your new steed!

Ride safe!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #44 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    We love happy endings here in MCM so very happy to read about yours. I hope you'll stick around and post from time to time, and we'd love to see pix of you and your new steed!

Ride safe!
    Exactly! All is well that ends well :)
    How'bout some new scoot's pics???

5. #45 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ADV1 012.jpgHi and thanks for your input. In the middle of all of that mess with Saga Canada, I purchased a Kymco Bet and Win from a private owner that works like a dream.

I did consider the Downtown, but it just felt like a big bulky "something" when I sat on it. Also the foot placement felt a little weird to me. I found that the Bet and Win had weird foot placement as well, but I didn't purchase it new. It is a 2007 which only had 3900k's on it and was in superb condition. Had a top case with remote entry and had been fitted with a custom windscreen. The guy was selling it for 2500.00.

In regard to the trade in, We gave J and R Motorsports in Squamish, BC 2600.00 and some change PLUS the trade in of my Kymco Vitality which could have easily sold for 1700.00. So, he basically got a "free scooter" It only had about 1160 k's on it and was a 2009 model. Never been dropped all the maintenance up to date on it too.

I did post the information on other forums. As a matter of fact, when someone tiped the dealer off that I had posted the information on ADVrider.com; he joined the forum and started defending himself. He was promptly asked to leave the forum and do the right thing by the customer and redeem his name.

Canada is slow and backward when it comes to things like this. There is NO lemmon law here. They have a consumer protection agency (sorta ), but they don't seem to know what to do in regard to scooters. When we called the better business bereau, they wanted proof that the dealer had our bike in his shop again. My response: CALL AND ASK HIM! geeze.

He did do the first service on the bike and didn't charge for it and told us to consider it an act of good will on his part. I'm still going to tell others about this company and let them decide if they want to do business with them or not. At least they will know about it and can make an informed decision.

Thanks for reading the whole saga about the SAGA...ha. I'll bet it read like a reality program script or something!

By the way, we just got back yesterday from a tour on the Bet and Win and my husband took his Yamaha Majesty scooter. We went from Squamish, BC to Portland, Oregon in the US and took 12 days to make the trip there and back with a lot of sight seeing in between. You can see the whole ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=squampton

I hope you enjoy the trip. Looks like we had over 3,000 people viewing it which was kinda weird! haha

My Kymco 250cc Bet and Win is the red and grey one in the picture! ADV1 004.jpg

6. #46 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Wow, this was a happier and more substantial update than a first glance had suggested! The RR in advrider was fun, and made me wonder how big scooter touring has become in North America. Are the two of you pioneers of sorts, or is this a big new segment of the adventure riding population?

And why scooters as opposed to motorcycles? Not meaning to be provocative or question your choice at all, just curious about your thinking. What are the main factors making scooters the more attractive choice?

Congratulations on sorting it all out, and finding scooter bliss despite the detour.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #47 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No, we are not pioneers...haha. As a matter of fact I think we might be late bloomers in regard to touring!

The reason we chose scooters is because of the simplicity of being able to just "twist and go". No gears, down shifting, etc. We ran into a few folks that were touring when we were away. One guy told us at a stop light that he had covered 1000 miles in 24 hours. They call that an "iron butt" ride.

We didn't do the tour for that reason. We took the back roads and only got on the Freeway when we had to because it's just hard to take pictures and meet people on a high speed highway like that! ha. We wanted to see things that you will not see from the highway. So, we took back roads, stopped for coffee and meals, met people had NO time frame as to when we would get to our destination and was off the road every day before 4:00pm.

We enjoyed it even though in the beginning (as I have only had my permit for 2 months), I had "monkey butt"...!! But it's better now...hahah

8. #48 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Great way to travel. Congratulations for hanging in there.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #49 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    YAY FOR ME!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345