Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all,

I am a very dissappointed new rider as I have just purchased (a month ago) a new Saga 250cc scooter that keeps stalling on me in traffic. I have been told (after the fact) that Chinese scooters are the absolute worst product on the market in regard to workmanship. Nice outside, cheap inefficient parts inside which require a lot of work to get the bikes in order.

I have taken it to the mechanic 3 times now becausee I either couldn't get it to start until I had tried 4-5 times on several occasions, or it would stall out on me when ever I decrease the throttle when rolling up on a light, cornering or waiting to go onto the highway. Very dangerous stuff!

Any suggestions other than get my money and trade in back and head for some other brand NOT made in China. This is my second Chinese scooter. My first was a RayBen 50cc. Lasted ONE DAY and had to be returned because it was missing parts and would not start afer I got it home....

very sad craftsmanship. But I guess that is what you get when you have 8 year olds doing a grown person's job......

Scooterchick

2. #2 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Screw the idle adjustment in a bit

3. #3 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I think the mechanic (also the Saga dealer) did that once or twice. He did something with the "choke" or something. It was idling too low when I first got it and he adjusted it. It went fine on one trip out. And then the next time, it just starting shutting off or taking forever to start. Once it cut off the same day I got in at the end of his parking lot. I'm like "REALLY!?""

sigh......I really want a 250. This is all that seems to be out there right now, but I ain't willing to risk my life for it. This will be the 4th time we have taken it to him for the same problem. My husband is pissed. We are supposed to get it back tomorrow. I will let everyone know if it runs ok or sounds and runs sluggish again.

4. #4 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome to the world of Chinabikes. It's not going to be like buying a car, where you drive 50000 miles without thinking about service. On the other hand, if learning about engines and mastering repairs and overcoming challenges is your cup of tea, they can be great fun. See if there isn't a group of riders with the same bike, and team up for mutual support. Chinabikes inadvertently foster such communities, as you'll find here on MCM.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. So, I'm not into the tinkering with all of this stuff. When I purchase a car or anything else "new".....I shouldn't have to send it back for constant repairs or do repairs myself. If I had purchased it "used"...well, that is a different story. So, either the mechanic sucks and doesn't know his job or the quality of the bike is substandard in craftsmanship and shouldn't be imported ANYWHERE until they can use better parts or get people odler than 8 year olds to put the things together.....

I am NOT happy. This is why China has such a BAD reputation. Substandard products. I only wish I had known this before I purchased it.

6. #6 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ok, So....me and hubby picked the bike up a couple of hours ago. It seemed to be doing a LOT better. It rode smoother and the "sputtering like it was about to die sound" ( an uasually did) seems to be gone. He (the dealer mechanic guy) said that he had to adjust the valves. The intake valve (whatever that is) wasn't closing all the way. It was getting stuck in the open position.

He was offended that I told him either he sucked as a mechanic or he sold me some junk.....ha. I said,.....Well, I said either /or! He said it definately wasn't him and that it comes from the manufacturer that way. My feelings are, if you know that it comes to you that way, you need to make as many adjustments as you can BEFORE you try to sell it to someone.....(smh).

Then he went on to tell me about his 40,000 dollar car that he had to keep taking back to the shop. I told him "that's your choice"....When I buy a car or scooter, I prefer to have something road worthy and not make all of the trips back to the mechanic. Especially if I didn't buy it used! sheesh....

Anyway, all seems to be well now. The wind about pushed me off into orbit today! I will NOT be taking my maiden voyage any time today....ha

Thanks for all of the help everyone......I really appreciate it!. If I have anymore drama, I'll let you know......ha

Scooterchick

7. #7 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Scooterchick,

How about posting up some pix of you and your reluctant steed? We love happy endings here in MCM!

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

9. #9 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Back in the saddle again.....:-). Mine is the grey one.

by the way, I just spoke to the mechanic and apologized to him for blaming him for manufacturer defects. But he said he didn't hold grudges....
    sure sounded pissed off to me...ha. But he understood and said if I had any more problems which he does not anticipate, to bring it in and they will take care of it..

Hopefully, I won't as I would prefer to keep this one..:-)

10. #10 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    what a great result
    i am sure your mechanic is as pleased as you are

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast