Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, Hopefully....neither of us are waiting for the shoe to drop!......I only took it up the road and back home. The real test will come when I make a 50 mile run or something like that. Let it cool down and see if it starts up again like it should and KEEPS RUNNING.....ha.

Scooterchick

2. #12 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear S'chick,

If the problem indeed was misadjusted valves as your wrencher says, and he indeed adjusted them properly as he reports, and the bike indeed is now running well, as you've attested, the odds are pretty good that he nailed the problem and you'll now be able to have a bunch of fun on this bike -- a bike that looks mighty sweet in the pix you kindly posted. The symptoms you described do indeed sound like a valve problem, so your mechanic earned his pay, and saved you a heap of grief.

Be super careful out there, wear your safety gear all the time, and drop us a note from time to time about your progress. I hope you can learn to love this scoot, and have a longlasting relationship that lives up to your username. Take good care of it, and you'll find that chinabikes, in the right loving hands, can deliver a lot of joy.

Ride safe!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks a lot.....:-).

I wear my flouresant green kevlar vest, armoured jacket with reflective piping and panels, full face helmet. midcalf boots and reflective gloves with chaps EVERYTIME i ride. Even when I rode a 50cc.....haha

People told me I dressed like I was riding a Harley. I told them I didn't dress for fashsion, I dressed for saftey!

Next stop......helmet cam. That way I can take video of all of my adventures as they come and go.....:-)

Happy Trails!

4. #14 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ok, So here is the latest.

Hubby and I took the bike out today. We have only had this bike for just over month, it has been to the shop for the same problems 4 times! Starts (MAYBE) STALLS IN TRAFFIC AND DIES ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME. Each time, the mechanic assuring us that he had fixed the problem.

This time, it started up just fine, but sounded a bit slow to me on the idle. Nevertheless, we went, topped if off with gas and went for a ride setting the trip meter before leaving. 21 k's later, the bike just quits on me. We got it started, but it sounded really low in idle again. We went about 5 or yards and boom.....just quit on me again while riding through a very crowed parking lot with lots of cars and people. Chris was ahead of me both times since I didn't know my way through the park.

We finally had to have it towed. The dealer refused to give us a refund and return our trade-in. He said they needed to send it back to the distributor who we got on the phone and complained to and we said that the bike has never run properly. He told the mechanic to bring it back to him and they would do the work on it. The dealer says he has gone as far as he can go with what SAGA trained him to do.

He rode it around a few times and it went just fine; even though we had just had it towed in. THEN, I said..." you need to ride it at about 20-30-k's and then let it idle for a minute. He did. It stalled. He tried to start it and it wouldn't until the 4th try. then he says "well, it seems to be fine now"....What a joke!

And by the way, he refused to pay the tow on it as well. I asked for a loaner bike; they refused. I told him they need to give me another bike or they need to give me my money back. They said they could not refund the money. I asked my husband if he signed something that waived a refund. He had not. We gave him the bike Tuesday and it wasn't ready umtil yesterday. Now, we had to leave it with them again. It's a holiday weekend here in Canada. So, it's sitting until next Wednesday to go to another city where the distributor is going to have it tested by THEIR mechanic. Who knows when it will come back. They have my money AND my bike.

I did take a video of us trying to start it, where we were, us trying to start it several more times before the tow truck guy started putting it up on the rack.

I'm digusted. I'm soooo done.
    Last edited by Scooterchick; 05-30-2012 at 02:13 AM.

5. #15 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    After having the bike out of the shop for the 4th time for one day only, it was sent to the Saga Canada distributor last Wednesday in Langley, BC. We called them ourselves this morning to find out what exactly was being done to the bike or had been done. The person who was at the front counter refused to let us speak to the mechanic that worked on the bike there in Langely. The first thing he said to us after we identified ourselves was that he didn't ever want to see that bike back in his shop again. Then he went on to tell us that bad gas had been run through the bike. We told him about the gauge reading empty and when we went to fill it up it only took a gallon. We don't know what they had in it before we bought it. But it only had 19 k's on it when we purchased it. We went on to tell him that we have only filled it twice and both times we used 91 just as we were instructed.

He said it was almost ready and that when they got the bike and started it, that it started right up; which is the same thing the other guy said in Squamish. Then he told us that they had put 10 hours into servicing the bike. We asked exactly what was done to it?? He said he didn't have time to speak to us because he had customers that were walking out of the store. He also said that there were things that "should have been done" to the bike that were not done. My husband asked him what were they and who should have done them....he said "Jamie should know"...I don't know the guy, but I hear he is a pretty decent mechanic." So, the buck got passed once again to the dealer we purchased it from in Squamish.

We asked him about the "never wanting to see the bike in his shop again" comment and mentioned the 2 year warranty to him. He went on to tell us that the bike doesn't have a warranty! That one cannot be added now, and that it has to be purchased at the time the bike is registered. WE WERE SHOCKED! Seeing as the website clearly says that ALL their bikes come with a 2 year limited warranty. He said you have to "purchase" the warranty and that there was nothing in the records showing where we did. We told him there was nothing on the website that even "implied" we had to purchase it and that we had printed it out. Keep in mind that when we purchased the bike, the dealer in Squamish (Jamie) signed and dated the warranty paper and added the affective date of the warranty. So, to be told that we do not have one is .....well..suspect.

So, we asked again, about speaking to the mechanic who actually did the work. "he's too busy to speak to you and we don't speak to customers!" You need to speak to "Jamie" He should know all of this.! So, we are not wondering if the bike "started right up" then what was the 10 hours spent doing?? We could not get an answer from them. Everybody is passing the buck to the guy in Squamish, and he is blaming them for not telling him everything he needs to know.

This is the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced. . The bike has spent more time "getting adjustments" then I have been able to acutally ride it. I have taken it out three times since I had it and had to take it back each time because it stalled either when I was in traffic (rolling on the highway) or when decelerating to a stop.

I told this to the guy in Langley and said..."I could have been killed! This is dangerous!"...His response..."well, I know it is. Sure it is, but I really have to go now. I have already had two customer walk out."

The bike is supposed to be back in Squamish Monday afternoon. We were asked to call first Tuesday morning to make sure that it was in fact there before we came to pick it up.

what a mess. Chinese bike or not. Nobody should do business like this with their customers. My husband and I happen to be business owners in the lower mainland. We pride ourselves in good customer service as we know that your customers are the people who keep food on your table! The only thing they seemed to be concerned about was how much "time" THEY had put into repairs; which from our perspective have been less than acceptable since the bike has been in shop several times for the same issue.

Read more: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...#ixzz1w0wpUjHC
    Last edited by Scooterchick; 05-30-2012 at 02:05 AM.

6. #16 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Scooterchick

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. In fairness, it is not just Chinese bikes that have had stalling issues, although it appears to be the case that Chinese manufacturers and dealers seem to leave the buyers high and dry when it comes to dealing with the issue (unlike Japanese/Korean/Italian/American brands which actually try to fix things).

My guess is that Saga doesn't know what the problem is or, if it does, how to fix it. Sometimes, a manufacturer will build a faulty part and when it fails, the dealer has no choice but to replace it with yet another faulty part or, frankly, just hope the dissatisfied customer gives up/goes away. The Chinese manufacturing mentality is to sell a bike, not to service it. Saga, undoubtedly, is up against a Chinese manufacturer who couldn't care less about faulty parts or customer relations. Customer service simply does not exist in China. Those of us who live here have volumes filled with horror stories.

Nevertheless, you are in a developed country which does have options for redress (e.g., small claims court). The key is to have everything well-documented. Even if Saga doesn't give service receipts, most Small Claims judges will accept credible records (e.g., a diary) as evidence. Saga is the dealer representative of the Chinese manufacturer and, as such, has to accept responsibility for the product.

I see you've posted your experience on other forums, and that is great. It is always helpful to warn others about jumping off a cliff.

The upside is that it is only a motorcycle ... it isn't a heart pacemaker that has a stalling problem. But, I agree, stalling mid-traffic is definitely a safety issue and can certainly cause heart palpitations!

7. #17 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I know that it is not just chinese bikes that stall. We were on my husband's Yamaha yesterday and saw a V-Strom or something like that being towed. Might have just been out of gas. I don't know. But I do know that this is my second chinese scooter. The first was a 50cc RayBen which we purchased from a private owner. We got it home and it wouldn't start even though we had test driven it before we purchased it. Then upon further inspection, we realized that it was actually missing parts! We phone the former owner back and told him the situation the same day. He agreed to take care of whatever the problem was and called ahead to the shop that he told us to take it to. Well, we get there and there was the whole song and dance thing about who's fault it was that the bike was missing parts. The previous owner said he gave it to them for servicing. they were the last ones to work on it. The Dealer said, it came to them leaking and missing gaskets or something where the owner tried to put a kit or something on it. Anyway, we decided we didn't want it because we didn't feel it was road worthy. The previous owner promptly refunded our money. That situation ended well.

The point is, I have only had two scooters that were made in China, and both gave me headaches. I have had a Yamaha and a Kymco with no problems, ever.

And yes, the upside is that it was not a pacemaker or something that had to actually go inside me. I would have been dead and they still would have haggling over whether it was warrantied or not!

8. #18 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    UPDATE-

There is a glimmer of hope yet. We just had a good conversation with the dealer who has assured us that he has our best interest at heart and will do everything he can to get the bike running. Yes, it stalled again before we even took it off the lift...TWICE and he had trouble getting it restarted. He told us that the last thing he wants to see is one of his customers getting injured.

So, failing anyone being able to get this figured out, He has agreed to give us our trade in back and our money. All we want is the bike fixed. I think that is all EVERYONE wants at this point. It is a mystery why this thing is so temperamental. Nevertheless it is unsafe and if it cannot be repaired, we are just happy that he has in fact agreed to refund us our trade in and money back and that there hasn't been any loss of life or limb.

9. #19 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
    UPDATE-

There is a glimmer of hope yet. We just had a good conversation with the dealer who has assured us that he has our best interest at heart and will do everything he can to get the bike running. Yes, it stalled again before we even took it off the lift...TWICE and he had trouble getting it restarted. He told us that the last thing he wants to see is one of his customers getting injured.

So, failing anyone being able to get this figured out, He has agreed to give us our trade in back and our money. All we want is the bike fixed. I think that is all EVERYONE wants at this point. It is a mystery why this thing is so temperamental. Nevertheless it is unsafe and if it cannot be repaired, we are just happy that he has in fact agreed to refund us our trade in and money back and that there hasn't been any loss of life or limb.
    Damn, I like glimmers of hope, especially when they involve people (finally) doing the right thing. Hope this glimmer grows and grows and you get the bike you wanted!

As Lao Jia Hou noted in this thread, stalling problems are becoming epidemic among bikes, especially those using electronic fuel injection. If it makes you feel better, some of us owners of the Jialing JH600 -- including Lao Jia Hou himself -- have been suffering mightily due to acute stalling issues. It took a long time to get Jialing to respond, but recently we've been experiencing our own glimmers of hope.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This particular model has a carburator. Not fuel injected. They replaced it with a "new generation" carb. Which means it cannot be adjusted but is sealed or something like that. We will see. It was a short ride home yesterday from the shop and like I said; I'm nervous about getting on the thing now with it stalling out like it had been. Today...RAIN. Sooo, hopefully in the next day or two we can get it out and see if it starts and stays started like it should.

We just hope that the guy doesn't back out of his promise if it acts up again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast