Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    What? It rains in BC?

You are just prolonging the suspense! Here's sending you great glimmers of hope that the new mystery carb resolves the problems!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    yep... it rains here a lot at times. I don't ride in the rains since I read for pleasure and not out of necessity. I have an Infinity for that! haha.

We are going to take the bike out tomorrow and Friday and give it a good blowing out to see what happens. If he feels it is a good bike, it shouldn't have any problems selling it to someone else. I really don't trust it, but said I would give it one more try. So, we will. I don't think that anything has changed though. And the idea of waiting for the shoe to drop so to speak doesn't sit well with me. But, I will cross all of my "t"s on this.

3. #23 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    My 2 cent:
    This bike seems to be a GY-6 type engine. Even mores given the fact that it's carburetted.
    Now, the bike stalls. Let's see:
    1. Change the spark plug. Original spark plugs on Chinese bikes are really bad. I mean B.A.D.
    2. Change the ignition coil with the spark plug cable - it costs nothing but the original one on those is terrible.
    3. Change the ignition relay (CDI) - costs nothing as well
    I somehow think that it's not the valves problem since the bike SUDDENLY stalls. Valves won't malfunction suddenly. Sounds like an electrical problem. My friend here had pretty much the same problem with his 150cc GY-6 scooter. He replaced all the above mentioned + the new battery (since the original one was crap). Result: 2 years flawless running.

4. #24 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
    yep... it rains here a lot at times. I don't ride in the rains since I read for pleasure and not out of necessity. I have an Infinity for that! haha.
    I get it -- an affinity for sunshine, and an Infiniti for rain!

We are going to take the bike out tomorrow and Friday and give it a good blowing out to see what happens. If he feels it is a good bike, it shouldn't have any problems selling it to someone else. I really don't trust it, but said I would give it one more try. So, we will. I don't think that anything has changed though. And the idea of waiting for the shoe to drop so to speak doesn't sit well with me. But, I will cross all of my "t"s on this.
    Scooterchick, the anticipation is killin' us! Good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #25 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    We cannot change anything on this bike. First, we are not mechanics and wouldn't even know where to began. Secondly, it is still under the warranty. We have only had it a little over a month now. I know they changed the electric ignition thingee and the carburator. They said they did. what else, we don't know. Nobody would tell us. If we mess with it ourselves, we would forfeit any chance of recovering damages. So, we ride wait for a yet another stall, get our money back and get a Honda or Kymco. and NEVER pass this way again....

6. #26 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    We cannot change anything on this bike. First, we are not mechanics and wouldn't even know where to began. Secondly, it is still under the warranty. We have only had it a little over a month now. I know they changed the electric ignition thingee and the carburator. They said they did. what else, we don't know. Nobody would tell us. If we mess with it ourselves, we would forfeit any chance of recovering damages. So, we ride wait for a yet another stall, get our money back and get a Honda or Kymco. and NEVER pass this way again....
    Right...I haven't considered a warranty thing... I'm a mechanic myself, like my Dad and my Grandpa, that's the reason. Actually, don't see the reason to have changed the carb. I believe those engines go with CVT carbs with a vacuum pump (probably that's what they meant when they said carb shouldn't be opened) and those carbs are maintenance free.
    Well, if you want a reliable scooter where you won't be thinking what will malfunction next, that'd be any 4-stroke Yamaha/Honda.

7. #27 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It's just very frustrating as we do not have a working machine, have never had a properly working machine, and to be told from the very start that we would not receive a refund, get a loaner, or our trade-in back....well.....we are not happy.

Not our fault that they have not been able to figure this out. We did speak to the dealer AGAIN the other day after the bike having been sent to the distribution headquarters for a week, that if anything else went wrong he (the dealer) would refund our money and trade-in back. We are 6 weeks into having a BRAND NEW bike that has never worked properly and consistantly shut off. Usually, as I said when I am rolling on the highway or decelerating.

At any rate, there is no sense in replacing bad parts with NEW BAD PARTS. I'm sure they are not going to upgrade any "fixes" that they do.

I will never deal with this company again. Quality assurance and Quality control are certainly not their concern. So, customer service doesn't stand a chance!

8. #28 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Guru
    vapor lock ? ( gas cap not letting air into tank so after riding a while gas slows to a drip draining from tank to carb resulting in bike stalling after being rode a while ) if so easy fix - new gas cap or drill a pinhole in 1 u have

would be awful to have all this work done because of a faulty filler cap vent

easy to diagnose , start bike let run for about 10-20 minutes (longer if just idling) - even ideling in backyard/driveway/garage , shut off then unscrew gas cap , if here it suck air theres your problem

9. #29 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    These are things that the mechanics that worked on this bike should know. I'm the customer, purchased it NEW and as far as I am concerned ...shouldn't have to do a thing to it except put good gas in it and ride. They should have fixed this a long time ago. No concern for my personal saftey had been shown until two days ago when the dealer was tipped off that I was posting my experiences to forums.

We don't want to keep the bike in the shop for the life of the warranty and then at the end of the matter STILL have the same issues and NOW WE GET TO PAY for them to fix the crap they sold us!

10. #30 Re: Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling! 
    I'm with DanDaMan that a poorly vented gas cap could easily be causing this problem. And it's something that a mechanic might actually NOT think of exploring. The symptoms that you describe fit the situation well. If there a strong vacuum inside the tank because the cap is not venting, eventually flow of fuel to the carburetor will stop. It happens on lots of bikes. Mechanics can waste hours looking for some mechanical/electrical cause, and not make this simple check. I would not assume that this has occurred to your crack team.

Dan's right: What a shame it would be if everything else is working fine, and it's something as simple as this!

Good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast