Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Bike addict

1. #1 Bike addict 
    Hi just want to introduce myself, my name is Len and I live in South Africa in Pretoria. I have owned many bikes some of my recent bikes were BMW 650 Dakar, Suzuki GSXR750, Suzuki Hayabusa. I have done some touring through Zimbabwe and Botswana and have now decided to get myself a bike distributed by a company here called Big Boy, the bike that I got is called a SMR 250 check the picture. The bike seems to be a copy of a Honda CRF.
    I will be using this to commute to work.

Zooka%20SMR%20250big.jpg

lcilliers,

Wow! That's quite a change going from a Busa' to a 250 but it certainly makes sense as far as the commuting goes. What kind of riding do you do besides commuting and how do you like your bike?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Join the crowd ! 
    Master of Thump
    Bike addict , yes we all are !!!!!

Very nice bike you got there , wouldn't mind that one myself .
    I agree , going from a BUSA horsepower to this is definately a downgrade in performance but commuting wil be great and fun .
    The Busa rarely gets the chance to perform anyway , the streets are too crappy and it is hard to find a place on earth besides a track that can handle the performance, let alone a rider that can justifiably even own that bike .

Congrats though , ride safe !!!!

Snortin Norton

4. #4 Change is as good as a holiday 
    I checked your website and China expidition-impressive, looks like you had some great experiences and have seen a lot of great things.

I must say I do miss the power of the Busa but when one decides to go for a 250cc it is certainly not for the power, I was looking for something cheap yet fun to ride and also practical as a commuter. Where the big bikes are a lot of hard work to navigate your way between the traffic, the 250cc is light and nimble and great fun to navigate between the traffic. So far I am enjoying the bike tremendously and am very impressed with this model, the finishing of the bike is not bad at all and it has more than enough power as a commuter. Because this bike is based on a moto-x bike the gearing is very short and you easily reach Top-end in 5th and run into the rev-limitter, for this reason I am going to change the rear sprocket to one that is maybe 3 teeth smaller. This should push up the top-end a bit, as the power to get there is not a problem.

The biking I enjoy most is long distance touring, at the moment I do not have any bike suited for this purpose. I still want to do a trip up to Tanzania and Kenya, it is on my to do list.

Below are a few more pics of my 250

IMAGE_038.jpg IMAGE_035.jpg IMAGE_034.jpg
    IMAGE_040.jpgIMAGE_039.jpg

5. #5 Good pics 
    Master of Thump
    Good pics there, looks like a nice bike , and it sounds like it is perfect for you and what your doing right now .
    Reguarding the Busa , there is nothing after a Busa at all power-wise so everything on earth except a Nitro Fueled Drag bike would be its only competiton for sure .
    They make some plenty fast 250's , but the China bikes aint them as far as production models go
    They are comming along and thier race bikes that are not production in the 125 and 250 class are very nice, so I hear . So I have read that is .
    Unfortuntely they have not come along enough to produce anything like the 250 Ninja class bikes in production class yet of SuZuki , but I am sure they will if they find the market and dependability they so struggle with it appears against the Japenese machines . Available parts and dependability , and performance is what they have to prove and its a long row to hoe there with the current IFFY parts supply here int he USA where they need a better market if they are to succeed here .

Good luck with your touring class dreams , hope you find something good and fun to ride in Kenya and the like .

Sincerely , Snortin Norton

6. #6 Turbo Busa 
    Thanks.

I must say the most insane thing I have seen was the Turbocharged Busa's, it looks like pure suicide

7. #7 BUSA 
    Master of Thump
    Agreed
    A guy around Tacoma here rides his BUSA around with his personal graphics he had laquered on that says , Monte's Sui-Cycle on the bottom of the faring next to the Japanese writing graphics that must read ;
    " you crazy Americans , your gonna die , remember Hiroshima " .

Later , Snortin out