Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Hateful? Paranoid? Hmmmm ... not really. Aware & cautious seems slightly more likely.

I think what is disconcerting about this "campaign" is that this country has a very long history, including recently, of mass mob mentality, divorced from rationality.

I have seen this Chinese mob mentality first hand here were I live and trust me it weren't pretty I was very very surprised at the attitude of some of the people and how quick things happened.

Trust me to come here and experience two difficult times in China's history.

Oh well I guess they can't shut down the internet and international phone calls this time. Can they ????

2. #62 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    So, while we have reached some kind of understanding on what is going on, the more important question is: "what are we going do with it?".
    Besides of staying low for a while, is it time to reconsider your stay in China?
    Is it time to give up the retiring plans you might have? Would never retire here.The health system is to say the least a friging mess.With a massive amount of old people about to start to require the use of hospitals here I don't need to be battling with them to require the services of a hospital.
    Is it time to sell the house you might have. Luckily never bought one.Thought about it ten years ago but it looks to me it's a bubble that could burst at some time certainly where I live now.
    Is it time to give up other possessions like cars and bikes you might own?
    Luckily never bought either as the minister of finances said "What happens if you want to leave and leave quickly which you have a habit of doing"

Sorry to those who are locked in here but I am sure things will get better.

3. #63 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I somehow feel I should share this:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stori...le-finger.html

This happened in the city where I live and all those comments are really really saddenning, no matter who wrote those: trolls, natives, foreigners, whoever.
    Police don't know what happened...poor Chinese girl...big black foreigner with a bike saw...flipped a finger at...
    It feels like a farce.

4. #64 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I am simply here to live my life, hold a legal job, make some friends and not get into any trouble. I work alot so I dont go out much, especially to Sanlitun, I hate that place, fake plastic people. I have a chinese girlfriend, she is amazing, but I also see the leers when we are out together, it is definately not approval. But I smile, have a good attitude and dont do anything that would be constrewed as hostile towards anybody. I am a guest here, I know this and act accordingly. If the situation gets tense, I just keep to myself and let things be. I will defend myself if necessary, but I do all I can to avoid compromising situations, I am a partner in a business and I just want to do good business and enjoy my life here in this culturally rich country. Isnt this just a simple case of the golden rule?? Be good to people, all people and you will most of the time recieve the same respect given. In the words of the late great Bob Marley, Dont worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright. Happy day folks

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post

This happened in the city where I live and all those comments are really really saddenning, no matter who wrote those: trolls, natives, foreigners, whoever.
    Police don't know what happened...poor Chinese girl...big black foreigner with a bike saw...flipped a finger at...
    It feels like a farce.
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

5. #65 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Great words :)
    Cheers, ride safe!

6. #66 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I got into a disagreement with a Ebiker about a month ago anyways long story short he(Chinese man) thought he would milk the situation for all it was worth and called the police and was going to sue me.No it wasn't a traffic accident.

If I didn't agree to certain demands the police said they would not renew my visa.My visa expired on a certain date and I had booked a flight home three days after my visa expired as it was the only flight I could get around that time.

This situation would never have happened 3-10 years ago.

I only got out of it because I knew some people in the right places.I only called on them when things started to get serious which they never should have and wouldn't have 3-10 years ago.

7. #67 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear BD,

Sorry to hear about this bit of ugly misfortune. Living where you do in XJ, you live with several additional layers of weirdness arising from ethnic/religious/minority policy and major cultural differences between residents. The question of "who is an outsider" in your region of course will elicit very different replies depending on who you ask. But you qualify as an outsider no matter way, so it's not hard to imagine you getting caught in the middle of these toxic forces from time to time, due to no fault of your own.

So you are saying you dodged this bullet and will be staying on? Are you rethinking your role there? If you are the owner or investor in a business (as I am), how do you assess your situation? No need to answer these things online. PM if you want want to talk.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #68 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    should have posted this earlier. A picture taken at BJ airport shows graphically how inclusiveness in Beijing has started to fall apart:
    2012-05-24 17.31.23-1.jpg
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

9. #69 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi every one,

Well there are a few disturbing comments raised in this thread.
    I live in Weifang, in Shandong.
    I must say I have not noticed one little difference at all.
    Maybe I just have my head in the sand, or if there is genuine no change here, but it feels a good place.
    I don't work, I just relax, I enjoy a few beers now and then at the local bar, "a whole 50 meters away"
    I never go to the bar by myself, I am always with my girlfriend, of 3 years.
    Actually we will get married in September.
    Even going to the local supermarket, where we have shopped fro the past 3 years, no one looks, no one comments.
    When we buy the fruit, I go and get the fruit and vegge. weighed, and I can honestly say, there are smiles, and xie xie .
    The food court, where we eat most nights, every one, well almost every one has seen us many times before, there are smiles and waves.
    So at the moment, for us in Weifang, Kite capital of the World, things are just the same now as they were 3 years ago.

Long may Weifang, the little 8,1 million people village stay as "Friendly Shandong"

Graham

10. #70 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post

It feels like a farce.
    that just a horrible situation.... The replies are even worse then then article.... such a mess....
    Last edited by Shanghaifingers; 08-14-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast