Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hmmmm ...

People have likely heard about the British guy (foreigner) who is charged with sexual assault on a Chinese girl, in Beijing. There was a video that has become viral in China. Enough said about that. Beijing, it seems, is now at the epicenter of some serious "anti-foreigner" sentiment.

Beijing TV (BTV) seems to be carrying the ball, and has had a number of "news reports" of foreigners behaving badly. Most recently, a Russian Cellist (with the Beijing Symphony) was video'd getting into an altercation on a train with what is described as a "sweet little old lady." Here is a news story. You can find the video on many other sites.

The tone of these reports is "less than flattering" to the foreign guests, and have sparked quite a bit of "kick the foreign devils out" comments from Chinese netizens. What has surprised me, somewhat, is that this very negative attitude is pervading many areas ... including the HOG website forum (Chinese). Remember, most HOG members in Beijing are rich & powerful (300K toys). I kinda doubt that the HOG site in the USA would permit any "kick the SBs out" comments.

Well, within a week, the Beijing city government announced a 100 day "clean-up campaign" on foreigners. OK, some say this is overdue. No doubt there are several clowns in town. But it seems that the authorities are making this a highly publicized campaign ... kinda throwing fuel on the fire. I'd argue that this should be done 365 days/year, much like it is in other countries. Whatever.

In addition, there was another campaign announced about the same time concerning motorcycles. The traffic police said they will be operating several (and increasing) roadblocks over the riding season, looking for "illegal activities" by motorcyclists (e.g., no driving license, no plates, drunk driving, etc). Here is a recent Youku video of one recent road block in Beijing (by the way, those sad-looking saps on the "bus" are on their way to jail):

OK, so add together anti-foreigner & anti-motorcycle, and you end up with BTV's top story (May 16) of a foreign guy riding an illegal R9, while drunk, and having an accident. Oh, and he didn't have a MC license. Sigh. Here is the Youku clip.

I've had a few Chinese friends "advise" me to keep a low profile and to be on my best behavior (which, of course, I always am!), and to make sure I am 100% legal. Hmmmm ... but those 47nnn plate on my motorcycles kinda identifies me as a foreigner (despite my full face helmet). Hope I don't encounter any "vehicular kung fu". Obviously, I'd lose in any challenge from a car/bus/truck driven by an angry guy.

What's the tone in other cities? I read on motorfans and HOG that Shanghai netizens are yelling "yeah, do it here too ... kick those bastards out!"

Oh ... try to keep comments somewhat civilized, perhaps as an example.

2. #2 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    It's classic unite and rule.

1. Identify common 'enemy'.
    2. Spread propaganda against that enemy.
    3. Unite those that would otherwise be at each others' throats over religious/land.resources/ethnic squabbles.

It used to be and still is a bit 'anti-Japanese'. This is worse because you are not Asian and cannot do anything about it. At least Japanese and Koreans when hated on can mix in with the crowd.

Also there is a another insidious 50 mao scheme. The theory states that foreigners get some privileged status in China and are specially treated. There was some truth to this maybe pre 2004, but generally it is not the case. Where are these privileges?? Anyhow it's a deception to get people riled against foreigners and hopefully forget about the rich 'princelings' in their castles driving fast cars and drinking champagne with money daddy stole from the country he loves so much.

3. #3 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    C-Moto Regular
    I was stopped at Yonghegong bridge and received a 100rmb ticket for driving with a jing-b inside 4th ring rd. Happened yesterday, but the cop was not overly angry. He had just finished giving a ticket to an suv driving in the emergency lane, so I don't think he was targeting my laowai-ness.
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

4. #4 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Interesting thread, Lao Jia Huo. Thanks for posting.

I arrived last night in Beijing after a month in the US and went through customs. Because several of us were transiting to Shanghai, an Air China guy asked us to line up in the "Chinese Citizens" customs queue. When we arrived at the front of the line, the young agent very politely asked us to go again to the back of the line because there were other Chinese behind us. Ten or 20 years ago I might have protested, but I too can sense the environment is changing here, and I did as I was told. When I again reached the front of the line the same agent told me very matter of factly that the policy now is Chinese first, but she then politely cleared my entry. Again, I was in the Chinese citizens line, not the foreigners line, so I just filed this away for future reference.

Once on the connecting flight, which of course was delayed by more than an hour for unexplained reasons, the only guy rudely berating the flight attendants for the poor service was a middle-aged Chinese gentleman, and he really let it rip.

We're having wonderful weather here in the endless city so I'm looking forward to lots of riding; I'll be on my best behavior (as ever) and will report any noteworthy changes as I see them. But I'm with you about these periodic crackdowns; if only they'd enforce the law all the time, day in and day out, the scofflaw behavior would disappear and there would be no need for crackdowns.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Banned
    Hate & racism has been around this lovely country for 5000+ years, its part of the 5000+ year culture, will only get worse in the future, mark my words.... Have a nice weekend.......

Classic email today: Party people in the house! Less than 24 hours to go till the Beijinger's 9th Annual Reader Bar & Club Awards!
    We can't wait to see your outrageous beach attire -- the action begins in the sun at 2:30pm at Sanlitun Soho. RMB 100 all you can drink and there will be plenty of entertainment between the announcements of the winners of our annual readers' poll of Beijing's finest bars and clubs.
    Laowai: As you know we're on Day 4 of the crackdown on illegal foreigners so along with advising those without proper papers to go get that done before you attend, we advise you to bring your passport, visa and household registration (or copies of them) as Sanlitun is one area that is the focus of the crackdown.

6. #6 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    C-Moto Guru
    But, but, this guy's been riding for three years and he says he's "had no problems" riding without reg or plates. It's gotta be true!

Seriously, looking over the local classifieds and 58.com is waaaaaaay too frigging tempting sometimes.

7. #7 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    But, but, this guy's been riding for three years and he says he's "had no problems" riding without reg or plates. It's gotta be true!
    hahahaha! Yeah ... if it is on the net, gotta be true!

Seriously, looking over the local classifieds and 58.com is waaaaaaay too frigging tempting sometimes.
    Earlier this week, I was at a dealer I have bought bikes from. This dealer is one of Beijing's largest sellers of legal bikes. Dealer told me it was visited by the police and told to get rid of any unplated bikes a.s.a.p. (probably end up in Tianjin)

Yesterday, another news story hit ... unclear facts, but apparently someone on a large motorcycle hit a pedestrian on/near the 4th ring road. Well, according to the Chinese forums, the "facts" have morphed into ... "It was a foreigner riding a Harley, killed an old man (or young girl, depending on story), and took off" ... followed by several "find em and kill em" comments.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 05-18-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typos/grammar

8. #8 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Yesterday, another news story hit ... unclear facts, but apparently someone on a large motorcycle hit a pedestrian on/near the 4th ring road. Well, according to the Chinese forums, the "facts" have morphed into ... "It was a foreigner riding a Harley, killed an old man (or young girl, depending on story), and took off" ... followed by several "find em and kill em" comments.
    Can you provide a source for that story?

I recall that when the "Foreigner Raping Girl on Street in Beijing" story hit last week, my Chinese friends at first said "that looks like bullshit" after watching the video. Now, a few of them are telling me "I heard from a friend that there are pictures of him molesting other girls on the subway". I haven't seen any pictures other than the one of him with the girl he is accused of raping. It seems that these stories take on a life of their own once they've made it into local discourse, actual access to facts is entirely beside the point.

9. #9 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Can you provide a source for that story?

I recall that when the "Foreigner Raping Girl on Street in Beijing" story hit last week, my Chinese friends at first said "that looks like bullshit" after watching the video. Now, a few of them are telling me "I heard from a friend that there are pictures of him molesting other girls on the subway". I haven't seen any pictures other than the one of him with the girl he is accused of raping. It seems that these stories take on a life of their own once they've made it into local discourse, actual access to facts is entirely beside the point.
    It is on motorfans (Beijing), and I will look for it when I am back home.

Yeah, these stories definitely take on a life of their own. Probably what REALLY happened was some guy brushed a pedestrian ... the pedestrian yelled. An onlooker posted some "news", then it became a big bike hits pedestrian ... then big bike hits old/young pedestrian ... then Harley hits old man/young girl ... then foreigner on Harley kills man/girl ... then foreigner runs away.

10. #10 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I agree with ZMC888 divert attention away from Bo , Cheng and Co.I just don't get how Chinese people don't see this oh wait yes I do

The atmosphere/tone in my neck of the woods certainly has changed noticed it straight after getting off the plane nine months ago.Has got worse lately but alot of people have come here from all across China seeking riches since the powers that be announced "develop North western China"Basically their attitude sucks it is look at me I'm better than you I have a BMW , rolex Gucci and a Iphone 4s( don't know what an app is though and don't know they have to sign up to apple to get the most out of said phone)

I haven't had any comment directly aimed at me but some interesting questions have been asked.

This whole Pillipines thing is getting out of hand too.Hearing quite abit of "We are going to wipe the Phiillipine's off the map."

Can't say I like the way things are developing.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast