Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    You can add Hohhot,Inner Mongolia to the "clean-up campaign" on foreigners.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 05-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.

2. #12 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Actually I don't really think that this time, this "foreigner" thing is something orchestrated from the upper echelons.
    It is something lingering in every society, and is in general just under the surface, coming out every now and then.
    Don't need to remind anyone here about historic cases of racism surfacing in their own country, right?

Frankly speaking, I can even understand the public reaction on cases like this guy in BJ, harassing girls in the subway and later on the street.
    And the totally unacceptable behavior like that idiot in the train, or riding a motorbike in flip-flops, does all not help, and only acts as fuel to the fire if it happens at the wrong time.
    Be honest, if foreigners do that in our home, the world is also too small for the storm of protest.

Just my 2 cents on the "other side" of the story.

3. #13 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I find that mostly I am treated as I treat others. There are of course times I am irritated by rudeness whether intentional or just not realized but I have no problem finding plenty of asshats in Los Angeles or any large city in the USA or for that matter, Europe or Australia. I think it is a statistical thing related to the fact that if you have 1000 people anywhere in the world 10 of them are not worth the effort of walking across the street and pissing down their throat if their stomachs were on fire. When in a population of say 100,000, it is not too difficult to avoid those 100 people but when in a population of 25 million........

Anyway, I am still finding a smile and laugh will usually get the same returned.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #14 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Actually I don't really think that this time, this "foreigner" thing is something orchestrated from the upper echelons.
    It is something lingering in every society, and is in general just under the surface, coming out every now and then.
    Don't need to remind anyone here about historic cases of racism surfacing in their own country, right?

Frankly speaking, I can even understand the public reaction on cases like this guy in BJ, harassing girls in the subway and later on the street.
    And the totally unacceptable behavior like that idiot in the train, or riding a motorbike in flip-flops, does all not help, and only acts as fuel to the fire if it happens at the wrong time.
    Be honest, if foreigners do that in our home, the world is also too small for the storm of protest.

Just my 2 cents on the "other side" of the story.
    Oh I don't remember a storm of protest when the Chinese student raped a Irish women in Dublin.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/c...#ixzz1v31s43nV

Don't remember a storm of protest when the Chinese student raped his landlord in America and then his parents flew to America and promptly started offering everyone involved money to drop the case.Although I am glad to see said spoilt little emperor and parents in jail
    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ree-kidnapping

You should see the text message I and everyone else in Xin jiang just received from the "Autonomous Region Party Committee Propaganda Department" Interesting reading.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 05-19-2012 at 11:05 PM.

5. #15 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Much interested to see what they sent you, if u want to share.

6. #16 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Much interested to see what they sent you, if u want to share.
    Not to keen to plaster it on the web.It's not that bad not that good either.

Does anyone else get text messages from the powers that be from time to time?

This is the first one I have received pushing Nationalistic spirit/regional spirit.I do get other texts from the powers that be informing of things happening.

7. #17 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I will post this link very interesting reading http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...&mod=chinablog

Ok Yang Rui is an Idiot at the best of times but still interesting mindset.

Here's my translation of what he posted maybe someone can do better.

"Ministry of Public Security of foreign garbage to clean: grasping ocean rogue to protect the ignorant girl, Wudaokou and Sanlitun is the hardest hit; beheaded ocean snakeheads, the United States and Europe unemployed China misappropriating, trafficking in human beings, seducing encourage immigration; identify ocean spy to find a Chinese woman living together, the job is to gather intelligence, the name of tourists to Japan, South Korea and the United States and Europe of Surveying and Mapping map, improve GPS; get rid of Yang bitch, close the Beijing Office of the al-Jazeera, so shut up and get out to demonize China"

Don't see many American,English,Canadian,Australian etc etc Tv hosts/ journalists spewing this kind of crap .

988S Yeah every thing normal here nothing unusual happening here nothing to see move on.

8. #18 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    I will post this link very interesting reading http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...&mod=chinablog

Ok Yang Rui is an Idiot at the best of times but still interesting mindset.

Here's my translation of what he posted maybe someone can do better.

"Ministry of Public Security of foreign garbage to clean: grasping ocean rogue to protect the ignorant girl, Wudaokou and Sanlitun is the hardest hit; beheaded ocean snakeheads, the United States and Europe unemployed China misappropriating, trafficking in human beings, seducing encourage immigration; identify ocean spy to find a Chinese woman living together, the job is to gather intelligence, the name of tourists to Japan, South Korea and the United States and Europe of Surveying and Mapping map, improve GPS; get rid of Yang bitch, close the Beijing Office of the al-Jazeera, so shut up and get out to demonize China"

Don't see many American,English,Canadian,Australian etc etc Tv hosts/ journalists spewing this kind of crap .

988S Yeah every thing normal here nothing unusual happening here nothing to see move on.
    I read that, there is a translation on the WSJ blog.

I have not noticed any specific animosity against me in the last days. We probably all remember the days when the Chinese embassy was bombed in former Yugoslavia, or when the torch rely was disturbed in London and the wave of anti-foreign sentiment that came to the surface then.

It is probably always like that. People have nothing against the foreigners they know but they might be afraid of too many foreigners in general. I bet that most societies are like that and I know for sure that there is a strong anti-foreign sentiment in large parts of the german society...
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

9. #19 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    They very rarely mention the good things foreigners do here in China just pick the negatives.

Last Xmas eve i went out to dinner with a group of Chinese. We were on the baijou big time. I got a lift home with a few of them and one young guy (23 / 24 years old) who I just met that night at the dinner.He was extremely drunk and we gave him a lift home he was so drunk he would only speak English and extremely poor English at that.In the car all we could get from him was that he lived near the picture show so that is where we took him.When we got there he got out of the car for a piss and promptly passed out in the snow full rag doll.I could not get him to come round no matter how hard I tried man I slapped his face.Bear in mind it was -25c at this time he was wearing a light jacket no gloves no beane and somehow had taken off his shoes.I knew we could not leave him out there for long.Would my Chinese friends help me eventually after I dragged him to the car by myself.

There was a heated discussion about putting him in their car they didn't want to there was no way i was going to leave the guy passed out in the snow -25c I told them he would die there that night if we didn't get him in the car and home.They eventually begrudgingly helped me and made some phone calls and his friend came and got him I helped his friend drag/carry the rag doll 300 mtrs home.

Did I get a thank you no wasn't look for one but it would of been nice.

I since found out that quite a few people died this last winter in this small town when hitting the baijou to hard and collapsing on the way home only to be found the next morning dead as a door nail. i'm sure some Chinese would of seen these people passed out and just kept walking.

Will we hear the good things that we foreigners do here. No probably not to much loss of face if a foreigner saves a Chinese person.Lets just focus on the bad things that a small minority of foreigners do.

10. #20 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    ur PB is full.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast