Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    ur PB is full.
    cleared it

2. #22 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Fair & reasonable comments thus far.

I also have not personally experienced any hostility or animosity. But I lead a boring and sheltered life, rarely venturing into the SLT or WDK areas of Beijing (I'm too old for that stuff). Yeah, I also remember the prior incidents mentioned and you're right ... there was an outcry, then, as well.

Coming from Canada, which is considered a tolerant multicultural society, I can nevertheless recall several examples of hostility/aggression towards minorities. First, southern Asians from India & Pakistan, then Hong Kong'rs, then Africans, and most recently ML Chinese. You're right, I guess, it is simply a function of the vocal minority within the majority.

I try to keep one eye on the Chinese motorcycle forums (damn, Chinese is hard to learn!), and have certainly noticed the anti-foreigner tone escalating ... but it seems to come and go. Most recently, there was a new thread of some foreigner on a Harley eliciting comments like:

1) He's breaking the law by being ahead of the line (debatable);
    2) That's not a real Harley (actually, it is);
    3) Those are fake plates because they are not black (actually, they are real 47nnn - black plates are no longer issued);
    and,
    4) I'd kill him and steal his bike.

But about every 30th post, some rational guy pops in and straightens out the nonsense.

I found the thread about the 4th ring road incident, but it is mumble-jumble, so the entire incident was probably fabricated, or grossly exaggerated. Who knows.

3. #23 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Having seen first hand(Cronulla riots) how this racist mentality can get out of hand.I am concerned how this can quite clearly end up a bad thing for some foreigners here.

Same thing happened in my home town a slow build up of a web based hate campaign followed by when the shock jocks got hold of it and wiped up more rage followed by a get together of a few people(a few thousand) organized over the web and texts.

Throw in alcohol and you had a lethal mix.

So yeah it just doesn't happen in China it happens around the world but when it does happen it ain't pretty where ever you are.

I sure hope it don't happen here but from what I am seeing it ain't looking good.

Yeah you can say we/you have seen it before Olympic torch,embassy etc but hey the internet ,texts and smart phones have progressed to a whole new level in China now.So has the attitude of the kids.

Lets have a little review of the events of the last week or so

China and Philippines escalate war of words over fishing territory. Threats of war are heard, and anti-foreign rhetoric in Chinese media is heated up.

- Chinese government expels foreign journalist working for Al-Jazera for the first time in 14 years and the international media world is shocked.

- Heavily edited video of unnamed so-called "Englishman" abusing a woman he was seen with earlier on the subway getting heroically beat up. One of the "heroes" in question said: "When I saw he was a foreigner, I was even more determined to help this girl"... This video with strong sexual content somehow survives the Chinese anti-vice censors. Man remains unnamed. Racist comments galore from even well-known Chinese media leaders such as Yang Rui. ("we kicked that foreign bitch out!")

- Crackdown on illegal foreigners "coincidentally" begins in Beijing. Beijing police now not denying it is in response to above incident.

- North Koreans kidnap Chinese fishermen and the media does not hide it this time. The Chinese media laments foreign nations picking on China all the time.

- Video of award-winning Beijing Symphony cello player Oleg Vedernikov getting physically assaulted by Chinese woman for having his feet up on the back of a chair and then responding with vulgar language. Calls for apology by the public, then apology not forgiven. Racist comments galore against foreigners all over the Chinese net.

- Video of two Asian men beating a Chinese girl in Chengdu over a dispute on who is in a queue first. The men are assumed to have been speaking Korean and accused of being South Korean. Racist comments galore against Koreans and foreigners in general all over the Chinese net.

4. #24 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    just to get a bit of perspective here

ok lots of yap yap on the net

nothing bad actually happening

just relax folks revolution never breeds on full bellies

and all i see is a lot of fat cats

5. #25 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Just as we all hope and wish for uniform, consistent law enforcement to create a safer living environment for all of us, whether Chinese or expatriate, we too have a responsibility to do our best to be good citizens. The stakes already are high for foreigners because we stand out in a crowd and and are easily taken as representatives of "all foreigners" or "all people from Country X or Country Y". The stakes then rise even higher for us as motorcyclists in China because of the chronically negative stereotypes we face.

So we motorcycle-riding foreigners, like it or not, bear a special dual responsibility: to live to the highest standards of decency as people, since we are, fairly or not, seen as representatives of all foreign people, and to ride to the highest standards of safety and responsibility, since our behaviors can strongly affect perceptions of all motorcyclists.

There's always a risk that some hothead out there will observe something about us, whether the way we treat people or the way we ride, and decide to engage in reprisals. All the more reason to be model citizens and model riders. All the Gear All the Time, and All the Courtesy All The Time. Keep your middle finger tucked away, bite your tongue when you feel like cursing, smile when you feel like sneering.

I'm not trying to sound like a saint; these are ideals for me, but I'm human and sometimes a hothead, and I often fail to live up to my own ideals. I hereby resolve to work harder at it.

And let's hope this thing passes before someone gets hurt.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #26 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Is this a copy of the self-reflection you wrote when you were caught for speeding last time?

But seriously, I agree with you on this matter (and that from an other hothead), well written.

7. #27 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    I agree with euphonius well written.Might not want to eye the fairer sex to much in these times too.Drat there goes another favorite past time.

8. #28 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    Better watch your back i mean buttocks http://www.echinacities.com/beijing/...r-qianmen.html

9. #29 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    It's all very well trying to be good, but sometimes it's hard, especially when you get some sudden policy change that effects your lifestyle or income without any consultation, or you get people running you off the road. Where I live I haven't seen any anti-foreigner sentiment more than usual, even more people wearing overseas football and other T-shirts, meaning a lot of people aren't buying into this crap.

Zhu, I'm grateful for your calming words, but I think we are all feeling China is becoming more hostile. A lot of this media frenzy seems to be connecting into some ancient tribal 'hands off our women' mentality.

10. #30 Re: Beijing's new harmonious society 
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It's all very well trying to be good, but sometimes it's hard, especially when you get some sudden policy change that effects your lifestyle or income without any consultation, or you get people running you off the road. Where I live I haven't seen any anti-foreigner sentiment more than usual, even more people wearing overseas football and other T-shirts, meaning a lot of people aren't buying into this crap.

Zhu, I'm grateful for your calming words, but I think we are all feeling China is becoming more hostile. A lot of this media frenzy seems to be connecting into some ancient tribal 'hands off our women' mentality.
    "Hands off our chinese women" we all need a chinese wife to translate for us so play the safe bet and marry a not so good looking chinese lady like i did works for me as the chinese men all love me and think i am brave ??? heheh

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast