Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Let us know what happens and she succeeds to give that BMW jerk the trouble (s)he deserves.
    Tx - she posted over here with pics ...

http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17668167.htm

In a nutshell, the Criminal Division of the Police (hit & run) are looking for the guy, but the two telephone numbers they have for him are both dead. However, they also informed her that it will probably be a he said/she said thing. I suggested that, in the future, she keep her GoPro running.

Nevertheless, that website (motorfans) has a HUGE membership who are now looking for the car.

2. #22 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...Nevertheless, that website (motorfans) has a HUGE membership who are now looking for the car.
    Crowdsleuthing is a scary concept, given the potential for mistakes and abuse and vigilantism, but it's also a powerful tool. Wasn't it some motorfan readers who found Shanghaifingers' JH600B in Shandong.

Say, 'fingers -- have Shanghai's finest retrieved your bike yet?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Right foot .. on a scooter?
    So she was in the wrong lane, or driving against traffic, or what?

Not too fast in determining who is guilty ...

4. #24 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Right foot .. on a scooter?
    So she was in the wrong lane, or driving against traffic, or what?

Not too fast in determining who is guilty ...
    The guy had squeezed her against the right side of the road, blocking her passage, so she went around the rear, and was moving forward on his left (where there was now room). To make his point of "I am first", he then swerved left and hit her with his front left quarter panel/tire, running over her foot that was now down on the ground. After she screamed, he then took off and she caught up to him later, where she snapped the pic of his plate.

I (and several other MCMrs) know this girl, and she is Ms. Safety to a "T". Also has a very cool head.

5. #25 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Sorry, but there's no worse mutherfocker than a driver who deliberately swerves to "educate" a bicyclist or motorcyclist. Somehow I had in mind some hapless skill-less concubine driving her sugardaddy's bimmer, and hitting the girl through stupidity and lack of skills. But this seems to have been deliberate. What was I saying about vigilantism? I hope the motorfans crowdsleuths track this vermin down and have their way with both of his feet. And then with his 3 series. And then hand him over to the police.
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #26 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Over the years, I've noticed big changes in how car drivers treat motorcycle riders in Beijing. They have become much more sinister, and I've attributed that to the insane traffic jams, 24/7. Car drivers are getting frustrated, and some just can't handle the idea that a lowly scooter rider can make its way through traffic, while their car sits there, waiting for the 4th traffic light change.

Spend a few days inside the 3rd ring road on a bike, and I guarantee you will experience cars purposefully trying some really dangerous maneuvers on you. I once had a guy trying to gently bump me from behind to get me to move - in the f'n bike lane! He was in a little QQ (or something similar) and I was on my scooter. But I am a foreigner ... I'm not going to get into an altercation ... I just stay where I am, and then when the light turns green, I decide it is time to light a cigarette.

7. #27 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    [...] I'm not going to get into an altercation ... I just stay where I am, and then when the light turns green, I decide it is time to light a cigarette.
    LOL, I remember doing that a few times. I also remember my blood was boiling when doing that, I was actually looking for an altercation...

We take it personally when they put our life at risk, but it's just that the life of someone else means nothing to many drivers here.

The right approach is to drive on, alert and ready to avoid a bigger cunt that the one u just miraculously dodged even though it really looked like he was intentionally trying to push u out of the game, cause there's always a bigger cunt, it's like a competition out there.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

8. #28 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    The case of ur friend is a special case, this bmw driver needs to get caught and go to jail like the criminal he is.

But most drivers we get angry at aren't.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

9. #29 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    There's a story out there today about a driver getting into a spat with a woman pushing her baby in a stroller, in Beijing. Guy gets pissed, gets out of his car, picks up the baby and drops it hard on the ground. Massive brain damage, and baby dies. Guy is arrested a day later. He's a felon, recently released from prison. I'm guessing they will not waste any prison time on him this time.

Fucking jungle out there. Braillce is right. Be careful who you mess with.
    Last edited by euphonius; 07-25-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: adding link (in Chinese, alas)
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #30 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Good lord, Euphonius, that story is so incredibly sad & disturbing.

It seems that the guy's switch was flipped - you know, that uniquely Chinese characteristic where a person goes from relative calm to completely insane rage in a nano second. I've been witness to that flipped-switch a few times, although never with consequences anywhere near, or so tragically upsetting, as the baby killer.

Putting those with a propensity for violence, and a spring-loaded switch, behind the wheel of a car ... you are bound to have serious consequences. Further, let these people sit in traffic jams, in searing heat on asphalt, to cook a while. Then along comes sweet little MCM members riding their cute little motorcycles, passing all the traffic with a smile on their face ... the perfect target.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast