Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. #51 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    I would assume based on the content as it is written there were 106 incidents in 2011 and then
    27 events for this half year. Representing roughly 79 less events since 2011. The number of incidents have been reduced, since the enactment of the law, by roughly 75%.

Which also is -392% of 27 as a percentage of 106, percentages of changes can be negative, just not when counting physical events. Percentages can be negative, events can be negative, just not when counting occurrences as physical events, unless as Boolean data and it is not the case here, in the case of Boolean data a negative event is a false opposed to being a true. In that case, it be a measurement of the total population, that being not involved in an incident or involved in an incident, however it still would not be appropriate to represent changes as negative percentages, that is only acceptable when recording losses in tangible units of measure or objects.

Somebody may have been instructed to stretch or embellish, because the change is hardly significant, it would be if it was a change in number of fatalities, but it is only about getting a ticket and with that is subjectivity, that being enforcement may be avoiding issuing the ticket with such a high level of punishment and likely drivers are being now sighted with lesser offenses.

In other words it is kind of sort of propaganda.

2. #52 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    China media searches for reasons behind a rash of violence

Sunday, 04 August, 2013, 12:00am
    Comment›Insight & Opinion
    WHAT THE MAINLAND MEDIA SAY
    Mandy Zuo mandy.zuo@scmp.com
    Strong-arm tactics by officials seen as one reason why people are turning to violence as the first rather than the last resort
    A mother, pushing a shopping cart with her daughter asleep inside, unknowingly blocks a car from parking in Beijing. One of the two men inside gets out, seizes the girl, and throws her violently to the ground, killing her.

A man in Heilongjiang sets fire to the nursing home where he was a resident, suspecting someone had stolen 200 yuan (HK$250) from him. He dies, along with 10 others, in the ensuing blaze.

In Henan, a group of police officers grow angry after a private car takes too long to get out of their way, so they batter the vehicle [1]. An official in Hubei refuses to pay a parking fee and beats up the cashier.

News reports of violent attacks, involving both ordinary people and civil servants, have appeared with unusual frequency over the past weeks. Newspapers have responded with commentaries asking why people appear to erupt with such vehemence, even over trivial matters.

The People's Daily said moods could turn easily and resorting to violence was becoming the first choice, rather than the last. The newspaper said many people claimed to have an "inferiority syndrome". "A sense of inferiority leads to poor self-respect, which makes those people easily offended," it reported.

The People's Daily also warned of a "very dangerous sentiment" that led some people to take revenge on innocent people for unfair treatment they themselves had received at the hands of someone else. They pointed to a handicapped man who set off a home-made bomb at the Beijing Capital International Airport last month, injuring only himself. He said he was left disabled after a beating by police and wanted to publicise his case. Some people, well acquainted with police excess, applauded the man. But the People's Daily warned: "By exchanging violence for violence, one will never achieve true equality and justice. And those who applaud may also become victims of violence."

The Guangzhou Daily warned that some officials' strong-arm tactics were making public hostility worse. "Officials, on behalf of the public, should set a good example and not amplify the ruthlessness and brutality now present in society," it said. "Therefore, officials who take advantage of their power to beat people should be strictly punished."

Hunan province's official news portal, rednet.cn [2] noted that in many cases people's capacity for cruelty was reinforced because their own demands had been violently dealt with by authorities; for example, a Hunan watermelon vendor apparently beaten to death by the notorious urban management officers.

State television ran a website commentary blaming some media outlets for contributing to the negative social mood. Reporters were obsessed with justifying the aggressor's actions and emphasised any unfairness or injustice he encountered in the past. Others linked unrelated cases to argue government inaction was to blame and crimes were the result of a thirst for revenge, it said.

The Ministry of Public Security last week ordered local police to focus on the crackdown on terrorist activities as well as individual attacks.

The Hubei Daily urged that in addition to the judicial departments' efforts to punish assaulters, it was also important to work towards giving more care to the disadvantaged and ensuring smooth communication between the public and the government.

The China Youth Daily asked readers to avoid falling under the influence of others who resorted to violence and called for more self-discipline. "We always consider something as a 'social issue', but as a part of society, are we not responsible for the state of society's as it is today?" it argued. "We may not be able to change someone's brutal nature, but we can choose not to be influenced by it," it said. "We may not be able to eliminate all evil, but we do not have to help perpetuate it."

More on this:
    Beijing man kills two-year-old girl following dispute over parking [3]
    Source URL (retrieved on Aug 4th 2013, 7:30am): http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-...-rash-violence
    Links:
    [1] http://www.china.org.cn/china/2013-0...t_29582546.htm
    [2] http://rednet.cn
    [3] http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...g-dispute-over
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #53 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Interesting article - thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    The People's Daily said moods could turn easily and resorting to violence was becoming the first choice, rather than the last.
    When I first moved to China, I VERY rarely saw any physical confrontation. In fact, I think I saw only one in the first few years. But I often saw people screaming & shouting at each other, often for a long time ... much longer than would have happened in the West.

Now, it is different - fist fights (well, something that kinda looks more like attempts at movie Kung Fu) are commonplace.

A few days ago, while waiting outside my building for another MCM member to show up, some pedestrian apparently brushed another pedestrian in a crosswalk. The offended party immediately went nuts on the offending "bumper" and a rolling around on the ground ensued, in the middle of the huge intersection, much to the interest of the passers-by, myself included. I could not help but laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all, and according to a friend who was standing next to me, this kinda pissed off the assembling crowd - "how dare a foreigner laugh at our comrades!" Fortunately, after a few minutes, the combatants tired and went on their way. Else, I might have been tossed into a messy situation.

Strange.

4. #54 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I would assume based on the content as it is written there were 106 incidents in 2011 and then
    27 events for this half year. Representing roughly 79 less events since 2011. The number of incidents have been reduced, since the enactment of the law, by roughly 75%.

Which also is -392% of 27 as a percentage of 106, percentages of changes can be negative, just not when counting physical events. Percentages can be negative, events can be negative, just not when counting occurrences as physical events, unless as Boolean data and it is not the case here, in the case of Boolean data a negative event is a false opposed to being a true. In that case, it be a measurement of the total population, that being not involved in an incident or involved in an incident, however it still would not be appropriate to represent changes as negative percentages, that is only acceptable when recording losses in tangible units of measure or objects.

Somebody may have been instructed to stretch or embellish, because the change is hardly significant, it would be if it was a change in number of fatalities, but it is only about getting a ticket and with that is subjectivity, that being enforcement may be avoiding issuing the ticket with such a high level of punishment and likely drivers are being now sighted with lesser offenses.

In other words it is kind of sort of propaganda.
    I love you.... Thank you.

5. #55 Re: A nightmare on Beijing streets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sometimes, research validates commonly held beliefs ...

BMW drivers really are jerks

Also, the New York Times article

And, the Mail Online article

In Beijing, I'd rank the black Audi as number 1.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456