Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 China tour: buy or rent? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Okay, I'm looking to finish up my time here in China. Before I go I always wanted to take a ride to various places around the country. However, I want to make sure that I am prepared.

I have done some looking around and I have found some tour companies that'll do parts of China but nothing that'll do a large tour, so it looks like I am left up to my own.

Now as I was saying I'm not planning on staying Tinover terribly much longer. So should I buy a motorcycle just for the tour and sell it afterwards or try to rent a motorcycle somewhere?

there're pros and cons as far as I can tell. Buying a motorcycle would ensure that I could get something that is a good quality and dependable. The downside is that it would be expensive, and it may take a while to sell afterwords.

Renting on the other hand would be much cheaper. But the downside, is that it might not be as dependable, and I may not get as much support for it.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to consider?

2. #2 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Dear Wanglong

If a legit motorcycle rental place existed (and I doubt it does), I doubt it would provide support outside of the city that the rental place would be located. Actually, if a motorcycle rental place existed, I doubt it would permit you to ride outside the city.

I have heard of "unofficial" motorcycle rentals, but I think they would probably want an up-front cash deposit equal to the value of the bike. I know I would ... who says you are going to bring the bike back?

I don't think a rental is viable.

Instead, perhaps purchase a new (or near new) bike that is proven to be reliable and easily maintained on-the-road. It seems that the Yamaha YBR (125 or 250) is a popular choice. There are Yamaha shops everywhere. The 250 is a bigger and faster bike with some advanced technology (e.g,. EFI), but the 125 is a reliable workhorse that any farmer/mechanic/enthusiast can fix, in a pinch. One unique thing about China is that each village has a resident motorcycle-witch-doctor who can magically get your bike running so that it will make it to the next village's motorcycle-mystic.

Honda and Suzuki also have some decent 125, 150 and 250cc bikes. I've been watching the Chinese forums, and there seems to be a growing interest in people touring all over the country with 125-250cc scooters.

In the case of the legal YBRs, they seem to sell used for about 10 to 20% below new, consistently. If you find a decent used one, you can probably sell it for about what you paid for it. Unfortunately, not a lot of used YBRs come onto the market (at least not in Beijing), because owners tend to keep them, and then when they do decide to sell, they are usually sold to a "friend" (i.e., never advertised).

Finally, owning your own bike means that the bike's registration & insurance are in your name. This might be handy. The downside is that the bike would have to be sold in its original market (due to the license plate transfer).

3. #3 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Lao Jia Hou: Love the picture!

Anyway, those really seemed to echo my thoughts. I actually owned a YBR 125 for nearly a year 30,000 km with no problems... loved it! Until some asshole hit me here in BJ, the cops came, found out I didn't have a license, and well, I was lucky to not go to jail... especially considering how all those things I thought I was getting away with here (running reds, riding in emergency lanes, going the wrong way, etc.) I wasn't actually and it was then I discovered I had nearly 5,000 RMB of fines built up as well...

Actually, I was looking to join some of the Tibetan tour groups that they have... and because of the altitude, YBR 250s are essencial because of the fuel injection. Also, there are other very cool features that come with it, especially the uni-lever shock which is quite comfortable I hear!

The only thing that I am concerned about is the title... from what I heard, you are not legally allowed to own a moto in Beijing (this is from the cops during the above incident mind you). The result is that I have to purchase it with some other guys name on the title which means it is already like 2nd hand... though I do get the receipts to show that I purchased it legally. Would that cause problems in other areas of China? That is a very expensive bike to loose due to technicalities....

4. #4 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^ +1

5. #5 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wanglong View Post
    ... I didn't have a license ...

... from what I heard, you are not legally allowed to own a moto in Beijing (this is from the cops during the above incident mind you). The result is that I have to purchase it with some other guys name on the title which means it is already like 2nd hand... though I do get the receipts to show that I purchased it legally. Would that cause problems in other areas of China? That is a very expensive bike to loose due to technicalities....
    Hope you get a license prior to heading off into the hinterland. The "rule" is you need a visa with >90 days, etc, etc, etc.

For a foreigner to register a bike in his/her own name (in Beijing), you need a visa that is >6 months. Further, I have heard from several sources that a foreigner is not permitted to register a "B" plate in his/her own name (must be an "A" plate). But it is perfectly legal to register an A plate in a foreigner's name if you satisfy the visa and temporary residency registration rules. Next time you see a 47nnn plate ... that is a foreign-registered bike ... and it will be an A plate.

It is common practice to have a bike registered in a Chinese person's name (or a Chinese company name) to get around the visa rule and/or A/B plate rule. Any of the larger dealers can help you out, as they do it all the time. This is what I would do if I was just going to be using the bike on an extended trip outside Beijing - get a B plate in a company name, but have the fapiao in my name. The trick is "the bike is legal" and "you are legal" (i.e., you have a Chinese motorcycle driving license).

After you get a Chinese motorcycle driving license, I know a few people who would help you out with a purchase/buy-back of a YBR 125 or 250. Maybe even me, if you pick the right color!

6. #6 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    LOL! So what might that color be?
    Buy now or closer to trip time?

This I think is the next big 'bike' related question. I could totally see the convenience of having a bike now. I miss my old one so much. But, now is a very early, compared to when I would be taking the trip. I don't think it would be a problem because those bikes are extremely dependable.

One thing for sure though, is that I would want to get it at least a month before to get everything all broken in, warmed up, worked out, etc, etc,

Now, I really want a bike ASAP... is there a compelling reason to wait? The only thing I can think of is 1) market value, but if I take it for such a long ride, that would kill it any way, 2) may possibly lower the reliability on the actual ride itself as it is not 'as new' 3) something else happens between now and then that might ... ?

But of course, I REALLY want it now ! ;0)

7. #7 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    Lao Jia Hou: Love the picture!

Actually, I was looking to join some of the Tibetan tour groups that they have... and because of the altitude, YBR 250s are essencial because of the fuel injection. Also, there are other very cool features that come with it, especially the uni-lever shock which is quite comfortable I hear!

The entry requirements for the big T this season have been further tightened.All members of the travel group must now be of the same nationality.

I would check with the agent on this before I put my hard earned money down.

Other people have ridden in the Big T on normal carburetor motorcycles but yeah EFI is easier.So is a 600cc bike.

8. #8 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That is interesting, thank you bigdamo! Yeah, that is part of the reason I wanted to go with a tour group. Seemed like an easier way to get into the Big T. Considering how I would likely need to book in advance, I would also want to double check refund/ payment policies...

Any ideas on whether to buy now or wait?

9. #9 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    That is interesting, thank you bigdamo! Yeah, that is part of the reason I wanted to go with a tour group. Seemed like an easier way to get into the Big T. Considering how I would likely need to book in advance, I would also want to double check refund/ payment policies...

Any ideas on whether to buy now or wait?
    I'd be checking with tour groups on the options of doing said tours first before buying a bike if that was your main aim.Be sure to mention the nationality make up of groups to them.

Be disappointing if you bought a bike just for the Big T and couldn't get in.

I had a feeling those motorcycle tours filled up quickly. I went to a film and Q and A night organized by one tour company promoting their tours to the big T back in Australia a couple of years ago.Twenty people showed up.He was doing these things all around the nations capitals. He ran two tours into the big T a year at $13000.00 a pop.He was taking booking for the next year.he had no problems filling those tours.

He supplied the bikes.

I remember some talk on motorcycle tour companies doing tours in the big T here on this forum.They where alot cheaper than his prices.

10. #10 Re: China tour: buy or rent? 
    Banned
    Edelweiss Tours had some corporations with a Chinese (Rick Ren) a few years ago operating out of Beijing (BMW motorcycle rental) and someone mention he is based at Beijing Goldenport Circuit now......

They (ET) still list him as China tour guide: http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont...ur-guides.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast