Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shipping the bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi everyone,

I had a little accident coming back from Dalian, and now my Jialing 600A is in Hebei, aproximately 80 km from Beijing in no state to ride. I would like to ask you for some advice.

1) I have contacted some guys in order to get the bike shipped from there to Beijing but my foreign accent got me an overcharged 1500 yuan for the service. If anyone has already contacted with any reliable and cheap logistics company, for example in order to do a trip I would be really grateful if you could provide me with their contact details.

2) I was also wondering if anyone knows a place where I can fix the bike. It shouldnt be too bad as the moto didnt crash into anything, it only skided to the roadside with the result of one of the mirrors getting broken and also the windshield (maybe there is more, but I will have to wait till it gets to Beijing to take a closer look)

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted on any new development.

2. #2 Re: Shipping the bike 
    Sorry to hear you crashed but is sounds if you are doing OK after as far as in physically one piece. I recently hired a local moving van to move a couple of motorcycles about 150km from Nanjing for RMB1200 for a weekend trip. We called around to random moving companies in Nanjing to get comparisons. Worked out fine for us and I was treated very courteously even after they saw I was obviously not Chinese. My wife arranged it so there was no lao wei influence in the pricing. Good luck.
    Attached Images
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #3 Re: Shipping the bike 
    Big firms had "fixed" rate written clearly. If u can read , it's SAME rate no matter who your are.
    www.jiaji.com | www.hoau.net
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.

4. #4 Re: Shipping the bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Gambitox,

Sorry to read of your getoff, but, hey, shit happens. You are well enough to type about it, so presumably at least one or two of your fingers survived! Broken mirror and windshield? Order them from Zhang Haitao or from Jialing directly. Couple hundred RMB max, and do the wrenching yourself. Then have one of Zhang's mechanics check the bike over.

Are you sure it's in no condition to ride? Surely in decent weather you could ride back to Beijing from Dalian! Or perhaps you are not up to it!

Any MCM denizens in Dalian who can help out??

Wishing you a safe return, and looking forward to pix and details! Your experience, even if painful and/or embarrassing, will surely be instructive to others!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Shipping the bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    First of all, thanks for the quick replies.

I have to explain a little bit more about the accident. I was coming back from Dalian and I inmaturely started to relax, as I was only 100 km from Beijing and the journey had go mostly perfect till that point. I suppose this is the first error. You can never relax when driving through China. So I was in this highway (GuoDao) when suddenly a girl driving an electric bike decided to cross the highway from left to right without looking into the cars that were driving in her direction. I managed to touch the claxon a couple of times but she didnt hear me so in the end I could dodge but not quick enough to avoid my handlebar crashing hers and thus making me lose control and skidding to the roadside. Taking all things into account I was very lucky. as no car was on my leftside and neither did I crash into any tree

I am now in Beijing and fully recovered, I am dealing with the legal matters of the accident (the resolution of the police is we both must share responsibility for the accident...I think that I can consider myself lucky, specially after what I have read in the forum about what happen to other foreigners)

In any case I found a company which will ship the moto to Beijing for 800 kuais and I will take it to Master Zhang to see how we can fix it.

Again, thanks for the advice , I hope I can soon relate a little about the journey which I surely recommend.

6. #6 Re: Shipping the bike 
    Dear Gambitox,

Thanks for the reassuring update. All things said, this sounds like a very good outcome to a potentially far worse situation. Well and responsibly handled, especially considering the rather toxic environment in Beijing specifically that is being discussed in other threads.

Get the bike and yourself checked out, do your best to sort out the liability questions (a polite and deferential attitude usually pays dividends), and then hopefully you can resume your life in Beijing with a deeper sense of the possibilities (good and bad) and where you fit into it all.

As for the bike, hell, almost all of us who ride the JH600 have subjected it to some pretty serious abuse, including plenty of hard and soft getoffs. She's a tough bike, and she mends well if you give enough TLC. I'm hoping you'll be back on the bike soon, a few days older and a whole lot wiser, with a "been there, done that" smile creasing your face. There's just too much good riding to do, especially around Beijing, to let something like this cool your enthusiasm.

Awaiting your report and pix.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Shipping the bike 
    gambitox glad you are not hurt and your bike is not too bad ... but

you had time to hit the horn?

perhaps next time go for the brake...................

the horn is not going to help you , especially in china people are so used to the sound of horns they ignore them

also girls on e-bikes are generally in their own little telephone, mp3, i pod, weixin , qq world and are well known for erratic behavior

brake and evade, you are wasting your time trying to influence other road users here

btw evade behind the obstacle as even local drivers cant suddenly go backwards

even so try to clear them by at least a metre in case they suddenly stop...
    Last edited by zhu; 05-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.

8. #8 Re: Shipping the bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    ...brake and evade, you are wasting your time trying to influence other road users here
    Extremely well expressed, Zhu. This is such an important lesson.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: Shipping the bike 
    And noobs like me are reading as much advice as possible on this forum. Thank for sharing stories and pearls of wisdom learned through experience, often the hard way.
    Take your riding one day at a time. Enjoy it like a newbie and hope to never get complacent...

10. #10 Re: Shipping the bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by gambitox View Post
    Hi everyone,

I had a little accident coming back from Dalian, and now my Jialing 600A is in Hebei, aproximately 80 km from Beijing in no state to ride. I would like to ask you for some advice.

1) I have contacted some guys in order to get the bike shipped from there to Beijing but my foreign accent got me an overcharged 1500 yuan for the service. If anyone has already contacted with any reliable and cheap logistics company, for example in order to do a trip I would be really grateful if you could provide me with their contact details.

2) I was also wondering if anyone knows a place where I can fix the bike. It shouldnt be too bad as the moto didnt crash into anything, it only skided to the roadside with the result of one of the mirrors getting broken and also the windshield (maybe there is more, but I will have to wait till it gets to Beijing to take a closer look)

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted on any new development.

Hi sorry to hear about your accident but the main thing is no one got hurt did it happen day/night ?? been reading advice here about riding bikes in china for about 3 mouths now the person who i think gave the best advise on mods to be done on bikes in china i had here was bikedoc
    who said 2 things 1. HID lights 2. big loud horn after driving 30.000 km in cars here my car have both and my bike has both now watch when trucks sound they horn people look as they know trucks "KIIL" so your bike maybe small but let them think you are a truck
    hope things work out for you ok sorry a bit to far to help out mate next time try near Longkou only jokeing
    steve

p.s. ride wise ride safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast