Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've pretty much ran out of performance mods now except for the extreme ones such as nos and turbos etc but I was wondering if a ram air intake would work with a my carb. I was thinking that I could just fix 2 pipes either side facing forward which would link together at the carb intake. Would this be possible? would this give much of a performace boost? and has this been done before? I think someone has mentioned on this forum that they had done something like this but left no details.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

2. #2 Re: Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I've pretty much ran out of performance mods now except for the extreme ones such as nos and turbos etc but I was wondering if a ram air intake would work with a my carb. I was thinking that I could just fix 2 pipes either side facing forward which would link together at the carb intake. Would this be possible? would this give much of a performace boost? and has this been done before? I think someone has mentioned on this forum that they had done something like this but left no details.
    P = .5 x r x v2
    yes it works best to do a google search

3. #3 Re: Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    No it won't work because the bike isn't going fast enough and if it was fast enough it would need a naca duct not a pipe
    Increase the compression and give it more cam duration will get more thrust

4. #4 Re: Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    Also there is no substitute for cubes

5. #5 Re: Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Also there is no substitute for cubes

for every bar of air pressure you need a bar more fuel as well more air more fuel means more power

A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power.

The ram air intake works by reducing the intake air velocity by increasing the cross sectional area of the intake ducting. When gas velocity goes down the dynamic pressure is reduced while the static pressure is increased. The increased static pressure in the plenum chamber has a positive effect on engine power, both because of the pressure itself and the increased air density this higher pressure gives.

Ram-air systems are used on high-performance vehicles, most often on motorcycles and performance cars. Ram-air was a feature on some cars in the sixties, falling out of favor in the seventies, but recently making a comeback. While ram-air may increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine, they can be difficult to combine with carburetters, which rely on a venturi-engendered pressure drop to draw fuel through the main jet. As the pressurised ram-air may kill this venturi effect, the carb will need to be designed to take this into account; or the engine may need fuel-injection.

Modern parachutes and kites use a ram-air system to pressurize a series of cells to provide the aerofoil shape.

At low speeds (subsonic speeds) increases in static pressure are however limited to a few percent. Given that the air velocity is reduced to zero without losses the pressure increase can be calculated according. The lack of losses also means without heating the air. Thus a ram-air intake also is a cold air intake. In some cars the intake is placed behind the radiator, where not only the air is hot, but the pressure is below ambient pressure. The ram-air intake effect may be small, but so are other mild tuning techniques to increase cylinder filling like using larger, fresh air filters, high flow mass flow sensors, velocity stacks, tuned air box and large tubes from the filter to the engine.

botton line is will not work with carbs ok

6. #6 Re: Ram air intake: can it be done? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Yeah I didn't think so :), thanks for your input guys.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.