Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    As I've mentioned on one or two threads I've just acquired a Lifan 250P. The bike and I are not licenced yet so its no on-road antics for us yet. The first time I took it for a spin around the apartment complex I discovered it has a very noisy squeak from the front disc - if I tap the brake it goes away momentarily. I can't take it out on the road for a burn to try and wear out the squeak so any suggestions?

A second question about engine oil. It's a couple of years since I last owned a petrol powered 2 wheeler so what oil should I be using? I've never bought engine oil in China and the bike is brand new. Suggestions?
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

2. #2 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    If can find the "REAL" foreign brand oil , stick with them, otherwise try the local stuff
    http://sinolube.sinopec.com/product/..._o/index.shtml
    http://kunlunlube.cnpc.com.cn/rhy/pr...o/motuo_01.htm

3. #3 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Bleed out some brake fluid, down there, on the brake caliper.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #4 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Humanbeing and Zorge, thanks guys, both of you were really helpful. Great!
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

5. #5 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    It is possible your pads are contaminated from getting anything from a cleaning agent,WD40 or picked up some oil on to the rotor.Take it out for a run and get some heat into the rotor and pads it might burn it out or it might just need to be bedded in being new.

I'd be wary of bleeding the brakes out down there if you get some brake fluid on the rotor and pads they truly will be contaminated.If you must bleed the brake I would get someone to help you.

6. #6 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    I'd be wary of bleeding the brakes out down there if you get some brake fluid on the rotor and pads they truly will be contaminated.If you must bleed the brake I would get someone to help you.
    In fact, this is one man job. You need 8mm open-end wrench and piece of transparent hose with a diameter approximately equal to the diameter of the nipple for discharging brake fluid.

Pull the hose to the nipple and direct it upwards, loose the screw/nipple, press the brake lever until the hose is filled, say, with about three inches of brake fluid. Then, without releasing the brake lever, tight the screw/nipple. In the end, pinch the lower end of the hose, so brake fluid could not drain out, separate it from the nipple, and that's all. If you still hear the squeaking, you can repeat the process. Minut and a half job.

Something like disclaimer: this refers to the case that all other components of the braking system working the way they should work.

How's my English? Did you understand my "words of wisdom"?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinggis101 View Post
    I discovered it has a very noisy squeak from the front disc. Suggestions?
    Hi Chinggis, I have always used copaslip on squeaky pads. You need to separate the pads, remove them and smear the back [the BACK] with copaslip. Pop them back in. Works every time for me. IMHO it is probably not the fluid circuit from what you describe.
    Haven't looked for copaslip in China, but I guess there is some version of it available. I have had the same tube for about 20 years!

8. #8 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    In fact, this is one man job. You need 8mm open-end wrench and piece of transparent hose with a diameter approximately equal to the diameter of the nipple for discharging brake fluid.

Pull the hose to the nipple and direct it upwards, loose the screw/nipple, press the brake lever until the hose is filled, say, with about three inches of brake fluid. Then, without releasing the brake lever, tight the screw/nipple. In the end, pinch the lower end of the hose, so brake fluid could not drain out, separate it from the nipple, and that's all. If you still hear the squeaking, you can repeat the process. Minut and a half job.

Something like disclaimer: this refers to the case that all other components of the braking system working the way they should work.

How's my English? Did you understand my "words of wisdom"?
    Yeah your English is good(Gee I seem to be saying that alot lately)I understand your "words of wisdom"

Alot easier to have a friend " press the brake lever " squeeze pump the brake lever to get all air out of the system while you just work opening and closing the screw/nipple three feet away making sure the brake fluid goes into your over flow bottle not all over your rotor and pads.

Yeah I can do it myself but I much prefer someone helping me hell I'll even get the finance minister to help me if I can't find someone else.

Plenty of experience doing moto bleeds and far to many MTB bleeds.MTB disc brake bleeds would have to be the most temperamental of all disc brake systems to bleed.

9. #9 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom and advice.

BigDamo, no licence, bike and I, so the road option is not possible. I thought that a good burn might sort it out but no can do. However I do have a couple of steep hills in the complex and a good 3 km ride so I'll keep working at it.

Zorge, your English is fine and so are your instructions, but I think BigDamo's caution is probably advised. I've been around bikes long enough to know that sometimes simple things can go very wrong. I don't have the back up to sort out complications arising from a brake fluid escape, besides it'll stain the rim I would guess.

I was wondering if there was a product I could put on the pads or the disc that might do the trick. Lobotomous, copaslip sounds like a workable solution. I see I should be able to get it in the UK.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

10. #10 Re: Squeaking Disc Brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinggis101 View Post
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom and advice.

BigDamo, no licence, bike and I, so the road option is not possible. I thought that a good burn might sort it out but no can do. However I do have a couple of steep hills in the complex and a good 3 km ride so I'll keep working at it.

Zorge, your English is fine and so are your instructions, but I think BigDamo's caution is probably advised. I've been around bikes long enough to know that sometimes simple things can go very wrong. I don't have the back up to sort out complications arising from a brake fluid escape, besides it'll stain the rim I would guess.

I was wondering if there was a product I could put on the pads or the disc that might do the trick. Lobotomous, copaslip sounds like a workable solution. I see I should be able to get it in the UK.
    wait until yo get your license and rego sorted out then you can take the bike for a ride then you will be able to better appraise what needs to be done i'm betting being a Chinese motorcycle alot of things will need to be looked at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast