Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    sorry for the mess of the last post. I edited the post three times but the site would never accept my layout changes...
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

2. #22 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    ... I took off all my luggage, revved the engine and leaped down the ledge. Wow, that was exciting! I only accidently had done a wheelie once and I never had jumped with the bike. But I did it… - and sadly enough have no picture to prove it :-(
    No worries - at the next Beijing bike night, we will have cameras ready for your re-enactment.

Seriously, a big congrats on your accomplishment - you definitely have much more courage than I.

A great ride report Mr. Fahni ... definitely amazing, given your recent introduction to the wonderful two-wheeled world. You guys on the 150s (and less) are proving that a GS1200 is not always required (although we secretly desire one ... kinda like secretly wishing for a super-model, but knowing we could never support it).

3. #23 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    No worries - at the next Beijing bike night, we will have cameras ready for your re-enactment.
    Ha Ha! Not quite sure if I want to do that again without proper training in advance.

You guys on the 150s (and less) are proving that a GS1200 is not always required (although we secretly desire one ... kinda like secretly wishing for a super-model, but knowing we could never support it).
    I am currently watching Long Way Round (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTkwOTk3MTky.html) and Long Way Down (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA2Njc0MDY0.html) and I always kind of think: "Wow, these bikes seem much to big and heavy to actually control them in difficult terrain" But then again, with a lot of luggage and on really long hauls, they are probably more convenient and comfortable. For the moment, I look at big displacement touring bikes with more respect than desire.
    JH-150GY-3

4. #24 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 

Seriously, a big congrats on your accomplishment - you definitely have much more courage than I.
    Or maybe I was just stupid. In hindsight, it would have been perfectly possible to take some stones and sand and shovel a makeshift ramp. Just did not think about it at that time.
    JH-150GY-3

5. #25 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    ... I always kind of think: "Wow, these bikes seem much to big and heavy to actually control them in difficult terrain" But then again, with a lot of luggage and on really long hauls, they are probably more convenient and comfortable.
    Motokai and I have just completed a trip of over 5000 km from Changsha to Urumqi, 15% TO 20% of which were terrible roads, much like those bad ones you described in this thread. We were both on JH600, weighing over 200kg each. Fortunately JH600 is surprisingly easy to control under just about any road conditions (as long as you don't run over goats and other assorted cattle). However, sh^&*t does happen and will render the bike flat on its face when it does. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to pick it up after a spill, such as in deep mud, loose gravel, steep hill, etc. I'd suggest going at least with 2 guys when taking long trip on those big bikes. They are very comfortable and get more respect on the expressway.

6. #26 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    ... I'd suggest going at least with 2 guys when taking long trip on those big bikes.
    Another option is to do what many of us do ... bring along a female Chinese pillion:

Unfortunately, you timed your trip when Miss Li was in London.

pic source: http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2012/j...s-record-book/

7. #27 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Another option is to do what many of us do ... bring along a female Chinese pillion:

Unfortunately, you timed your trip when Miss Li was in London.

pic source: http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2012/j...s-record-book/
    so that's why...
    JH-150GY-3

8. #28 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Motokai and I have just completed a trip of over 5000 km from Changsha to Urumqi, 15% TO 20% of which were terrible roads, much like those bad ones you described in this thread. We were both on JH600, weighing over 200kg each. Fortunately JH600 is surprisingly easy to control under just about any road conditions (as long as you don't run over goats and other assorted cattle). However, sh^&*t does happen and will render the bike flat on its face when it does. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to pick it up after a spill, such as in deep mud, loose gravel, steep hill, etc. I'd suggest going at least with 2 guys when taking long trip on those big bikes. They are very comfortable and get more respect on the expressway.
    Great RR Fahni. Fun to read and fun to watch! (Thanks for the photos).
    But I do want correct Milton on his recent posting.

I'm sure what he meant was: "Motokai and I have just completed a trip of over 5000 km from Changsha to Urumqi, 15% TO 20% of which were
    F*CKING GREAT ROADS,
    much like those
    KICK ASS ONES you described in this thread."

Bad roads are fun! I think Milton will agree. They are most often the more memorable moments of a trip.

9. #29 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post

Great RR Fahni. Fun to read and fun to watch! (Thanks for the photos).
    But I do want correct Milton on his recent posting.

I'm sure what he meant was: "Motokai and I have just completed a trip of over 5000 km from Changsha to Urumqi, 15% TO 20% of which were
    F*CKING GREAT ROADS,
    much like those
    KICK ASS ONES you described in this thread."

Bad roads are fun! I think Milton will agree. They are most often the more memorable moments of a trip.
    Hey Motokai!

I totally agree. I prefer any bad (sorry: kick ass) muddy mountain road over every truck-cloaked highway!
    JH-150GY-3

10. #30 Re: Fahni is going the distance from Chengdu to Xi'an 
    So I was nearing the end of my journey. I would have had time to ride back to Beijing. But that would have cut short my time in Xi’an and would have meant no rest day in Beijing before going back to work. Also my tires were pretty worn down with 8000km on them. So I decided to take it easy on the last leg.
    I had texted felix and one route that he recommended was just following G108 through the mountains south of Xi’an. That worked very well with my schedule so I followed his advice.
    After filling up on gas and water I went back onto the G108 which was still not nice but early in the morning there was not so much traffic going on.

morning on the G108 by fahni, on Picuna

Lots of Farmers working their fields. After 80 km the road takes a turn north and immediately the first pass begins. Up I go into the mountains and further along a river on nice black-top.

Mountains along the G108 by fahni, on Picuna

River along the G108 by fahni, on Picuna

Then comes the next pass with a long, ice-cold tunnel at the end. From there on, the road goes down again through some nice hills with bamboo and all into the town of Foping.

more roads by fahni, on Picuna

Foping has a Panda breeding center and there seem to be even some out here in the wild. I didn’t know they exist so far up north… I stop for a roadside lunch and have a big smile on my face when thinking of getting to Xi’an.

So I hop on the bike once again to go over the next pass. When coming down, two bikers wave me down when passing me on their way up the road. I pull over and first think there must be a problem of sorts but the two turn out to be bikers from Hebei on their way to Lhasa. They were on the road for 5 days by then and reaffirmed that 3 days from Xi’an to Beijing was the absolute minimum.
    We took pictures, marveled at the bikes, swapped cigarettes and praised each other’s adventures before we parted ways again.

biker colleagues by fahni, on Picuna

It was further downhill on the nicest twisties of the whole trip.

more roads by fahni, on Picuna

When I hit the valley bed, I had another break and inspected my tires. The high speeds over the last 200km did not help their profile and they were really bad by now. So that was it. I decided to fly back to Beijing. I took the jerry can and poured all the gas into the tank so that I wouldn’t need to stop for fuel anymore that day. At about 1430h I got out of the mountains and into the hot and dusty flat area surrounding Xi’an. It was so much hotter than anything before. This had been only the second day I was not driving in long johns and now I even had to stop and get of my scarf and zip out my inner jacket.

closing in an Xi'an by fahni, on Picuna

Now the G 108 is just a dusty stretch through (at least in my mind) uninteresting villages and this picture continued until I was in Xi’an at around 1630h. I had terrible problems with orientation and only the third hotel accepted foreigners.
    So I only had a short shower before I went off (not on bike) to have dinner and drinks with a bunch of friends. It was good to talk to some guys I know and share a little bit of what I had experienced.

I was out longer than expected but enjoyed the company. It was not until I got home until I realized: my journey had come to an end after 2787 km. ..
    JH-150GY-3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast