Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    That sounds like a good plan too, let me know when it's time to cross shaanxi off the map; i'll have fresh supplies of duct tape and zip ties in case you need to do any major repairs
    Note of caution: When Felix says duct tape, what he really means is visibility tape.
    Be careful!

2. #32 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    I would bring a 2nd navigation device loaded offline maps, in case the SIM card failure.
    同志仍需努力

3. #33 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Hi Bamboo,

I'm flying from Chingqing to Shenzhen on the 28th June, so I will be in Chongqing on the 27th or maybe the 28th at the very latest. I'm going to ride up through Jiangxi to Chongqing, I'll send you a maps link when I have the route finalised...

4. #34 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    I would bring a 2nd navigation device loaded offline maps, in case the SIM card failure.
    Yeah, my current back up plan is a bit shit. Any recommendations? I looked at a few chinese GPS systems before going down the android road and they were all pretty hard to use and with limited English.

5. #35 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by futianshenzhen View Post
    Yeah, my current back up plan is a bit shit. Any recommendations? I looked at a few chinese GPS systems before going down the android road and they were all pretty hard to use and with limited English.
    I install route 66 from Google Play, it seems to work, 30day licence though. I kind of wish TomTom has their android app (should be soon), but for now their hardware products are for automobile, so you need to fix the thing like mobie phone. Check online store like amazon.com.cn and 360buy.com out should you buy one.
    p.s. I noticed their product spec say English interface and English voice turn-by-turn navigation, ask TomTom first. I haven't used their product. I use Gaode from autonavi in Chinese interface only.
    同志仍需努力

6. #36 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Gaode in fact support English, I posted a reply in Android offline maps thread.
    同志仍需努力

7. #37 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    I install route 66 from Google Play, it seems to work, 30day licence though. I kind of wish TomTom has their android app (should be soon), but for now their hardware products are for automobile, so you need to fix the thing like mobie phone. Check online store like amazon.com.cn and 360buy.com out should you buy one.
    p.s. I noticed their product spec say English interface and English voice turn-by-turn navigation, ask TomTom first. I haven't used their product. I use Gaode from autonavi in Chinese interface only.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that. I've just started pre caching the route on google maps, it's fairly time consuming but pretty idiot proof. I'm gonna give it a try for this trip..

Actually maybe not, you can only cache 10 maps - not much use really
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.

8. #38 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    GPS is not hard just buy a "KAILIDE'. it has all addresses of china.

9. #39 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    I am still a huge fan of oruxmaps for android. It's free and does everything i need. I use it on every ride, not just for navigation but also for tracking. I dedicate about 1Gb of my memory card to maps for it, or more when i travel.
    I still use the old mobac 1.8 as the new version had to remove google maps. More details in the thread TDref pointed out.

I reread it and that thread's not a great tutorial for how to oruxmaps. Maybe i should write one. Will anyone read it?

10. #40 Re: Shenzhen - Chongching - Yangshuo - Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    I am still a huge fan of oruxmaps for android. It's free and does everything i need. I use it on every ride, not just for navigation but also for tracking. I dedicate about 1Gb of my memory card to maps for it, or more when i travel.
    I still use the old mobac 1.8 as the new version had to remove google maps. More details in the thread TDref pointed out.

I reread it and that thread's not a great tutorial for how to oruxmaps. Maybe i should write one. Will anyone read it?
    Yeah I'd read it for sure. I checked it out online and it seems like a bit of a process for a non IT expert.

I'll check out kailide for the next trip, cheers for the tip.

I've just downloaded mapdroyd, it's pretty average but at least can show your location.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast