Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Since 2007 I've been a very contented owner of a 2001 BMW R1150 GS. But now, alas, I am preparing to leave China and looking for a new owner for my trusty steed.

I am the second owner of this bike, the first being a Taiwanese rider who had it imported to China and then realized he couldn't really handle the beast. The bike had about 25,000 km on it when I purchased it. I've run it up to 48,535 km (about 30,160 miles). The bike has some external battle scars, as any proper enduro should, but I have meticulously maintained this machine in accordance with the BMW manual and with the help of MaxBMW in New Hampshire, my laojia. Last year I had a full work over of the bike at BMW Beijing, for which I can provide documentation, and threw on a new set of Conti stubbies, which are terrific on road and off, and still have many miles left on them.

Over the past couple weeks I have been preparing the bike for a new ride through Gansu and Qinghai. I just put some work into the front fork and steering column, swapping in a new ball joint and changing the fluids and seals. Also just installed a new battery. But it turns out I must return to the US earlier than expected. So my final trip will not happen, but you will be getting a machine fully prepped for adventure in the mountains and prairies of western China.

The bike has a Caribou Luggage pannier system from Colorado, and some Touratech flourishes (only what is necessary, no extra garbage). The bike will also come with a Wolfman tank bag, a solid tool kit, and some random spare parts (I have a new clutch plate that has never been used and the fixings for a future oil change, should you want it).

I own a 2010 R1200GS in New Hampshire, but to be perfectly honest, I vastly prefer the simplicity and power of this machine. It has Xinjiang license plates of semi legal status. I've ridden within Beijing's fourth ring before, but really, this is not a city bike. This rig is ready for the open roads. Asking for 65K yuan, but price negotiable if you can pay in dollars.

Bike is currently in Lanzhou, Gansu, where I am working. This is a great starting off point for real motorcycle travel. Save yourself the trouble of driving through China's interior, which is generally nasty. Fly out here, get on the bike and roll.

There are pictures of this bike on my 2011 thread Beijing to Qinghai with my dog on this site. Happy to send further pictures and discuss details over the phone. Lanzhou cell: 18919986743, Beijing cell: 15010711940.

Max

2. #2 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    Please, can you set a link to the thread you have mentioned. We are interested
    Sabine
    Or send a foto by mail to me?

3. #3 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This is the link to my trip last year from Beijing to Lanzhou:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-23-2011/page1

The second half of the trip was a month-long loop through Qinghai. Apologies for not publishing pictures or text... Once I finish writing my dissertation maybe I'll get back to moto adventures.

IMG_0524.jpgFrom Xiahe to Lanzhou August 2011 008.jpg

Now that I think of it, I can include the dog crate for free. My furry companion has already returned to the states with my wife. And yes, the back seat does exist and is quite comfortable. I removed it for this trip to make way for the dog.

4. #4 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You can choose the bike, but not the weather. Scenes from rides around Gansu/Qinghai:
    IMG_0516.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0535.jpgFrom Xiahe to Lanzhou August 2011 024.jpg

5. #5 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A note to clarify the status of this bike: The plates are fully legit and registered in Hotan, Xinjiang, where I lived from 2005-2007. I have been able to keep the inspection up to date using a special service in Urumchi and pay a yearly fee of 500 RMB. My 2012 inspection is being processed this week. This vehicle is registered under the name of a close Chinese friend in Xinjiang. In case this sounds odd, it is common for foreign riders in China to register using local IDs due to the complexities of getting the right visa and work unit support for registering motor vehicles.

For simplicity's sake, I recommend that potential buyers simply maintain this current arrangement. The documentation should be complete enough for you to replate the vehicle in your jurisdiction, but obviously I can make no guarantee about whether that is ultimately possible or how much it would cost. If you live in a jurisdiction like Beijing or Shanghai, forget about hanging your own plates unless you are friends with Uncle Who. I lived in Beijing for one year and simply maintained the Xinjiang documentation and no problems arose. In fact, most people see the Hotan plates and think it is pretty trick.

If this sounds sketch, well, it is what it is. This is a smooth-running bike with legal plates of clear provenance at a basement price.

I don't have the patience to master the email service of this website, so please send correspondence directly to my email: maxoidtmann@hotmail.com

6. #6 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    Man i really wish i had the money to take this off your hands... Oh well.

7. #7 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Max, PM's sent. Email addie provided.

8. #8 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

9. #9 Re: Ready for your Out West Adventure BMW R1150GS For sale in Lanzhou, Gansu 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob