Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Please help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Please help 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi,

i sold my car and decided to buy a second hand super bike for the road not track.
    I found one ducati monster 696..only in 1000km..like a brand new. he asks for 120k rmb plus 70k for the shanghai plate.
    the problem is i can't find any other alternative. i am 1.90cm and 696 is a bit small for me :)
    I checked the form and many people mention about illegal bikes and plates. i prefer to stay in legal side.
    Is Ducati really the only option for a legal super bike in Shanghai??
    Why the others ( suzuki,honda..etc) don't have shops in shanghai?

Thank you guys..

Emre

2. #2 Re: Please help 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    There are other alternatives, if you go and search or read some of my posts on MCM you can find that I along with others have mentioned legal alternatives although these are all new bikes and therefore are much more expensive than the Duc you're looking at. Also some of the offerings are not "super bikes" but then honestly IMO a super bike is not the most ideal ride for mainland China. Look at the Hayabusa, the M10R, Harley Davidson (883L, 883R are all cheaper than the Duc), so there are alternative rides, and one last thing, the 70K fro a plate - r!p off IMO. You might be in for 45K maybe even 50K tops and I do mean tops... you are being ripped a new one for 70K and I'm not referring to the a new plate there in that comment. If you bought a new HD 883 (ok not my first choice either) officially from a HD dealer, then a lagel plate, your'd be looking at around 150K give or take, and the resale will be there at the other end provided you sell before srappage date. Just sayin...

3. #3 Re: Please help 
    C-Moto Noob
    i spend nearly an hour with your previous posts but couldn't find it.. :)
    therefore it is true that there is no other dealer in shanghai rather than HD,BMW and Ducati.. right?
    I mean there is no Suzuki GSXR 1000-1300 in a shop in shanghai that we can go and see today..
    Regarding the plate..i asked two more place and they all say around 70k..

4. #4 Re: Please help 
    suzuki was selling the ST1300, M109R and Hayabusa on a preorder basis through their local Honda & Suzuki dealerships earlier this year. I posted a thread about these deals months and months ago see here . There is a shop Joy Motors that is importing large bore bikes legimately too but the pricing is double what the same bike might be sold new in overseas markets. But that is the price one has to pay to get into the game legally... As stated previously there are also the legal BMW, Harley Davidsons, Benelli/Ducatis available through the official stores in SH. Try searching for their respective websites... you will find some of them listed under the market place or deals from dealers webpages of MCM. Oh and I can't speak highly enough of HD out in Suzhou see the thread about the Suzhou opening I went to... you may alsoi want to consider some of the locally made mid sized bikes hitting the market... Benelli, Loncin, CFMoto and Jialing to name several makers putting out 600CC plus displacement bikes in mainland China... again search far and wide on MCM
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.

5. #5 Re: Please help 
    here you can find a couple of Hayabusa on display in SH but be prepared to open your wallet and clean it out if you are serious about buying legally big bore bikes... the Hayabusa will set you back an easy 239800 plus tax & fees etc

6. #6 Re: Please help 
    Address: 189 Pu North Road (North Pu Rd), Xuhui District (near Guilin Road) tele: 021-34600098
    地址:徐汇区浦北路189号(近桂林路) 021-34600098

7. #7 Re: Please help 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you very much..i will go and check those places..
    How do you think 188k for duc monster 696 including the shanghai plate ?

8. #8 Re: Please help 
    At the Yamaha official dealership in Shanghai where I bought my YBR250 less than 2 months ago, they had a superbike there, a 1,000cc, can't remember the exact model, but obviously legal. I don't know how much it cost (beyond my budget for sure) but I would guess it would be quite a lot cheaper than a Ducati.

As to the licence plate here in SH, no mistake, the prices are around 68-70K these days. Not a rip-off, but the actual market price as these plates (convertible into car plates) become more and more rare. Everytime one plate is sold and converted into a car plate, that finite available quantity dwindles that much more.

That being said, I would echo the previous comment that having anything larger than 250cc in town is a waste. Can't use it, can't go any faster that 70 or 80 kph at best, and way too dangerous acceleration for Shanghai's traffic (cars, e-bikes, scooters, bicycles and pedestrians + assorted 3-wheeled contraptions) and its slippery road surface. Now if you want to do some countryside trekking, some users here have a 600cc, but for downtown, that's pushing it. A superbike would be like those stupid Ferraris, Lamborghinis and other Porshes: just for show.

Good luck!
    Take your riding one day at a time. Enjoy it like a newbie and hope to never get complacent...

9. #9 Re: Please help 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    There is a growing range of mid-displacement Chinese bikes coming into the market and generating a lot of excitement. The original Jialing JH600 thumper has a loyal following among those of us who have stuck with it. Now there are rivals from two credible manufacturers -- the CFMoto 650NK and 650TR twins from Chunfeng Motors and the Benelli BJ600GS aka Qjiang QJ600GS four-cylinder from Qianjiang, which acquired Benelli two years ago. These are not the only threads on these bikes.

Prices for these three are in the range of 34-44k rmb; plates will cost what they cost, subject to limited supply (actually shrinking, as dipstick noted) and rising demand. If someone is offering you a discount on a plate, it's probably fake. All plates must be transfered through the Vehicle Management Bureau 车管所 to be legal.

My question for you is this: Why on earth would you want a kilobike in China? You can't easily ride on the expressways, and you'll feel nothing but frustration riding such a powerful bike in congested urban traffic, where you'll be contending with more human-caused and other hazards per minute than in any other road system in the world.

Just sayin'...

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Please help 
    C-Moto Noob
    Dipstick..thank you..do you have the address or the phone of that yamaha dealer?

Hi Euphonius..actually i saw couple more posts on MCM about this question..why buy a super bike in shanghai? They mostly refer that you shouldn't buy one..First of all, i think there is no city in the world which perfectly fit for a super bike or super car. I mean, when you think about the speed limits..what? highest 160 km in some cities..than why anyone need anything which is designed to go faster than 200km..
    In turkey, i learned how to ride on a kawasaki12R..which was not really a good choice to start with..but i did..than my first bike was a 600RR than hayabusa than another hayabusa..I loved them all :)
    Yes shanghai is a different city..it has its own type of uneducated ( mostly ) drivers...limits and rules..but i don't really feel that those things should stop you to buy what you want..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast