Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A friend of mine and I are taking a trip around the island of hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti), so I just recently purchased two motorcycles to get the job done.

I had originally set my eyes on Haojin 150-11Bs, but after my order was sold to someone else, I had to look somewhere else. In addition to a supply shortage, Large government organizations have been buying up all the smaller (and cheaper) dual sports, so I decided to get more expensive bikes (or risk us not getting any).

Enter Sukida 250-GY.

Pros:

1) Power - virtually all bikes here are 125cc or less. After learning to ride a small bike like this, I wasn't sure if power was something we really needed. After purchasing the Sukida, I now know what all the hype is about (And it's just a 250!)! It also sounds nice. :)

2) Style - I don't necessarily mind the old-school styling of many of the bikes, but sometimes they just look cheap (even though mine is too), especially in regards to the dash console.

3) Handling and Braking - Far superior than any normal street bike. Soft ride makes driving on Haitian roads a cinch. Shifting is especially easier. No stomping the shifter like I've had to do with some of the bikes I tried out.

4) Size - All other bikes I've ridden here (Street bikes) have been way too small. I'm not tall, but it felt as if my legs were getting a stretch being on them. Not with the Sukida. It's a perfect size, plus the same, if not less, weight (thanks to the plastic gas tank)

5) Quality & Price - Certainly it's not as nice as the Honda's and Suzuki's, but at $1,600 (Talked down from $2,125), it's a great value, and visibly better quality than the $750 rust buckets running around.

Cons:

1) Crappy Wiring - I don't know if it was done by the Haitian that put it together of if it is the production line, but just looking at the way the wires are all put away just worries me. Lots of dodgy electrical tape, not much anything else.

2) Cheap rubber - The rubber on my hand grips, for instance, has already started to wear off. I have like 10 miles on the thing!

3) Soft tires and terrible inner-tubes - The tires are OK, but I can't seem them holding up much past our trip. I can take a chunk of rubber out with my fingernail if I try. I haven't had a problem with the inner-tubes yet, but I've heard enough bad about them to know they need replaced immediately.

4) Factory Carb Settings - I'm still a novice, but when the coldest it get's at night is 80F, the bike shouldn't be having trouble starting.

5) Gas Gauge - Seriously, who makes a vehicle without a gas gauge? granted, these things break so quickly on the chinese bikes, it's pointless after the first 3 months of ownership, but regardless! At least it has a nice 15L tank to get me where I need to go.

6) Loose bolts - This isn't China's fault. The Haitian that got paid $0.50 to put it together didn't tighten everything like he should have. You get what you pay for...

7) Back Brake - The back brake is vital in an environmental like Haiti, where every meter hides a surprise pothole or misplaced rock. However, Sukida went cheap on the 250 GY and opted for a back cable driven drum brake. At least it stops the bike when pressed, unlike some motos i've ridden.

Check out the pics!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by alexanderrx; 06-11-2012 at 04:43 AM.

2. #2 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    I have heard of that product, it looks like it has the OHC, the 223cc. It looks likes like a low quality rendition of the CRF230 Honda.

3. #3 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    I cannot tell if it is an OHC, I bet it is the OHV engine for that price. What’s the business on the right side of the cluster, swear it looks like a fuel gauge.

4. #4 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I cannot tell if it is an OHC, I bet it is the OHV engine for that price. What’s the business on the right side of the cluster, swear it looks like a fuel gauge.

It's for the battery

5. #5 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    And yes, it's 223cc

6. #6 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    Lack of fuel gauge???

Man, are you a biker or a soccer mom!? Where is your spirit of adventure?

Bad wireing and loose bolts are almost axiom on afordable chinese bikes, but it's just saturday afternoon job. Carb setting too.

Rear breaks need some break in period too. They were so bad on my chinese moto-tiller during first 300-400 km, that I thought that brake drum is deformed. Afterwards they started to work OK.

alexanderrx, I would suggest to you to check valve clearance before the trip. Just in case...
    Last edited by Zorge; 06-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks! The fuel gauge won't be too big of a problem. As soon as it runs out of gas, I'll switch to the reserve tank, which should give us 75+ Km or so to find gas.

Pardon me being a novice, but what does valve clearance mean? How the hell do I check it? I know enough to assume we're talking about intake and exhaust valves? How difficult of a job is it to adjust?

Also, for carb adjustments, I'm not quite sure where to start. Every machine I've ever owned was fuel injected. I'm used to tinkering on engines and all their accessories, but this is my first motorcycle I've actually owned.

-Alex

8. #8 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    I would wrote few remarks about air filter, securing spokes, bearings, etc., alll the things I did, but by my very bad English discourages me. Sorry...

Some service manual of a single cylinder OHC engine willl be helpful to you, but I am convinced that you'll soon get the appropriate link for it from the the guys. Also, there are many clips on Youtube which are displaying this procedure.

A propos carburetor, here is one, I hope, helpful link - http://www.walbro.com/brochurefiles/...g%20Manual.pdf . Of course, Internet is full of material on the subject.

9. #9 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Haha, you're first post has perfect english, but your second not so much... Why? Write in your language. Ecrit sur votre langue. ecri nan lang ou. Escreva em sua ligua. Escribo en su idioma!

:)

-Alex

10. #10 Re: Purchased in Haiti - Sukida 250-GY 
    Yeah, right... Even online translator would not help you with the Serbian language.

My English is good as Derek Trotter's ("Only Fools and Horses") French.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast