Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 My $10 side racks :) 
    C-Moto Guru
    It's been quite a while since I did something on my Skyteam V-Raptor, but the nonsense generator in my head hasn't stopped. Ask my better half for confirmation

Anyway, some of our regular members probably remember my "innovative enhancements" I made to the bike. For the rest, I'm talking about my toolbox:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post37778

and my chain oiler:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post38102

As a continuation of the "Pooratech" line, spring-summer 2012 collection, I made me a couple of cheap side racks for the cheap top boxes I got from ebay.co.uk

Since I'm definitely a non-conformist I quickly abandoned the idea about usual curved and welded metal pipes. Instead I decided to use polypropylene pipes. The original idea for that I got from a posting in the advrider forum.

The enhancement from my side was to reinforce the pipes with steel rods from the inside, like the civil engineers reinforce the concrete. The solution I came up with is to use threaded steel rods. I don't know the English term for it, but it's a 1 meter long steel rod with thread all the way. In this case the thread is M8, i.e. 8mm.

It took me some research on pipe sizes and types, and I discovered that a 20mm, PN16 polypropylene pipe has an inside diameter of 14,4mm which is the diameter of the standard M8 nut.

If you're still reading this is what I'm talking about:

After a couple of afternoons of cutting and polypropylene "welding" (with a borrowed specialized heater), I had alfa version ready:

My wife's cooking scale showed the rack to weigh 600 grams, which must be about 1 pound I think:

Another couple of evenings later I had both sides ready and sprayed them black:

(European football championship hasn't been helping, hence it took me so long to complete them.)

The paint won't last at all, but I'll worry about that later, so here is the final product:

It's not the nicest (looking) or most stable solution in the world, but I like it and am proud of it

The boxes snap on and off with a single key turn. The top of the racks use genuine openings in the frame to bolt on (luckily all original bolts under the seat are size M8 ). Lower point is tightened with an U-clamp to the rear peg console, and the pipe has a cut in it in order to withstand the pressing force it's subjected to.

Taking the racks on and off takes about 15 minutes with the fiddling around.

Side boxes are only 10 liters big and I plan to stuff them with not so heavy stuff. Probably I'll even secure them with a rope across the seat, just in case.

In the best of the events, I'll try to make a test run this weekend with some junk from the garage in the boxes to see how does all the setup hold together, as I'm sure there are bugs to rectify in the design and/or implementation.

2. #2 Re: My $10 side racks :) 
    Hemus boys rules!!!

Now test it three times up and down Vitosha.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: My $10 side racks :) 
    Love your pooratech farkles.
    It seems that with this solution, you have to attach the top boxes' (now side-boxes') quick release base to your rack. Would it be better to approach this problem by seeing if there was a neater way to attach the base to the bike frame?
    Sorry if this makes no sense.

4. #4 Re: My $10 side racks :) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Hemus boys rules!!!

Now test it three times up and down Vitosha.
    Не може, брат.

Vitosha is a national park and it's too offroadish.

5. #5 Re: My $10 side racks :) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lobotomous View Post
    Love your pooratech farkles.
    It seems that with this solution, you have to attach the top boxes' (now side-boxes') quick release base to your rack. Would it be better to approach this problem by seeing if there was a neater way to attach the base to the bike frame?
    Sorry if this makes no sense.
    On the left hand side it could be a distant option, but on the right one I have the exhaust so absolutely no chance to get even near the frame.

6. #6 Re: My $10 side racks :) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Krasi View Post
    Не може, брат.

Vitosha is a national park and it's too offroadish.
    What stops you? The fact that Vitosha is national park or hers "too offroadish" hillsides? C'mon, you can do it!

BTW, don't rely too much on those case's plastic plates; they crack when you least expect.

Have you thought to make a "skara" holder? You must to admit that is more useful than case.
    Last edited by Zorge; 06-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...