Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 I'm not a preacher ... 
    ... 888,

and seems you're mature enough to decide what's best, most feasible or affordable for yourself.

I am only suggesting not to advertise purchasing (what a word) illegal bikes,
    nor to encourage others to ride without or doubtful licenses over the web.

Rubber thumbs

Andy

chinabiker, you're right of course, I shouldn't be really saying this over the web, but you have to understand China as a provincially administered country, where doing one thing in one area doesn't necessarily mean it's desirable or advisable in another.

This is a cyclical phenomenon, in 1998 all bikes over 250cc where completely banned, in all areas, except Tianjin and I think it was Hebei, seems like it was anything that produced more than 15KW power. Big bikes had their plates removed and where impounded by the cops. The rug was pulled out from beneath many people, and yes there where some bike clubs with foreign members as I recall one in Shanghai. Probably many others elsewhere. So do you hand in the bike keys at the cop shop and buy a 125 or carry on riding?

My history is not so good but since about 2004 big bikes have been made legal again albeit with a hefty registration fee and taxes, probably due to Harley Davidson and BMW's desire to be allowed into the Chinese motorcycle market.

Unfortunately this has put the possibility of having a big bike legally outside the financial reach of 99.999% of Chinese riders meaning that they still ride mostly without plates in my area. And outside my financial reach too. :(

All I'm really saying is that in the future people whether Chinese or foreign riding in China could again be forced to ride illegally in China. Also should we really be living in a two tier system where a foreigner should be fully legal and and a Chinese person should be able to get away with not following the law?

As regards licenses and foreigners, I am frustrated that my own European license isn't recognized by the Chinese authorities, this makes it more likely not less that other foreigners will come into China from other countries and ride in China without any license even from their home country, because in the face of the law we are almost in the same boat, but because of their inexperience those riders are much more at risk. Would foreign nationals who had no license in their home country be any safer if they where forced more harshly to do a Chinese motorcycle test? No, because the Chinese motorcycle test is of too low standard to be of much use, they are better advised to study the traffic flow style on an electric bike or good bicycle for a few months.

In my view this makes no difference in the end, because of Chinese mentality, the more foreigners that obtain a Chinese license and are killed or injured on Chinese roads probably only makes the Chinese authorities think that, 'oh, see foreigners aren't safe riding here' we should make sure they drive cars, not that they should improve their own driving standards and loose face.

It might of been since 2006 that big bikes have been made legal again.

Anyway I am frustrated by the Chinese authorities not recognizing foreign licenses. Even when F1 comes to Shanghai, they are forced to rent a car and driver! It seems like foreigners are considered not capable to be on Chinese roads. Whereas I consider most Chinese incapable to be on their own roads!

I hadn't got a Chinese license moons ago because I thought that by now my Euro license would be legal.

I'm not trying to cause some silly message board argument, and seems neither are you.

Here in Australia you can drive/ride on a foreign license while on a short stay but if you are staying here for a long period of time you have to get a licence.

Except China my wife has a Chinese license and had to sit the test here to get her Australian car license.

I've been to Australia, and the driving laws suck to be honest. Between Britain and Australia however licenses can be transferred. Even people from another state have to transfer their license.

One of my friends father is from the USA he had a valid American driving license, but in Australia when you become a resident you must either transfer your license if you can within three months (NSW & QLD) (SA and WA you used to get a year, but I'm not sure now) or do the test. Being American he had to do the test again. This shit sucks, whether in China or Australia. Thus my friends father ended up driving illegally in Australia.

I just have the opinion that when you have a valid license for one country you should be allowed to drive anywhere you like, but governments don't like this because it damages their revenue.

Take your wife's example, she was fine to drive in Australia for 3 months or a year, or longer if she was on a student visa. The first few months when she may have been a danger on Australian roads, adjusting to the new driving style and driving on the left etc she was legal. Then as she becomes more experienced and much less of any kind of danger the rug is pulled out from under her and she is forced to do the test again. If she was good enough for a year or three months, then surely she is good enough indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It might of been since 2006 that big bikes have been made legal again.
    To my knowledge, in 1995 the first HD, and in 2003 the first BMW became legally registered in BJ (got my GS tagged in Nov 2004 right after purchase).

Anyway I am frustrated by the Chinese authorities not recognizing foreign licenses.
    I'm a bit frustrated about that too - I know a Chinese guy who got his Chinese dl translated to German, translation approved by the Swiss embassy,
    and was then allowed to drive in Europe - June 2008.
    However, I've heard of efforts by some EU countries that they try to convince China to mutually accept each others dls.

I'm not trying to cause some silly message board argument, and seems neither are you.
    Yesss !

In another thread you mentioned being in BJ.

Next time up here, gimme a shout and I'll try to get u bike.
    You'll need a Chinese driving license of course.
    If you come up here in winter we could discuss more about this topic over some

Andy

P.S. Anyone interested in riding a 2 wheeler (600cc +) up here in BJ, please PM or e-mail me.

I know a Chinese guy who got his Chinese dl translated to German, translation approved by the Swiss embassy, and was then allowed to drive in Europe - June 2008.
    Well that's the Swiss for you, bloody mavericks!

Next time up here, gimme a shout and I'll try to get u bike.
    You'll need a Chinese driving license of course.
    Hey, I'd love to, of course if I was riding someone else's 600cc I would actually make an effort to get a license, 'cos I wouldn't want anyone to get a bike impounded. The last decent sized bike I rode was a CBF500 in summer 07.

If you come up here in winter we could discuss more about this topic over some beer
    For sure! I'll let you know when I'm next coming because, i have to sort some stuff out at he embassy, but I''l probably leave it off until the spring.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-12-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Bad grammar, I'm a teacher??!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12