Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
    Speaking of which, is this the sort of top end performance other people have been getting from the Quinqi 200? And in 1st to 4th it revs round to 9,000, but in 5th won't rev higher than 7,500, is this normal?
    I think that's bound to happen when in top gear and full speed. Maybe you're reaching a terminal velocity of sorts where the engine/gearing combo can't produce enough power to accelerate the bike past a certain speed given weight and various forms of resistance. It's not like there's a whole bunch of bodywork creating a nice little pocket of air for the rider to sit in and reduce drag. And it's not like the engine has a whole lot to work with in the first place.

My 98' Suzuki Bandit 1200 would top out at around 140mph with a top case on. It didn't matter how much more you opened the throttle (it was WOT anyway) it would not go any faster. The Bandits were not designed for top end power like the GSXR's and lost most of it's oomph in the top 25% of the rev range.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    If you have 10 minutes, it's quite short and really worth reading.
    That was really interesting and puts paid to all those airbox shade tree mechanic mods.

It is true that in the past some bikes and cars had badly designed airboxes that could benefit from home-brewed mods, the Honda CB400N for example was particularly bad in that respect, but nowadays you only have to look at the enormous and sophisticated shapes of airboxes in Jap superbikes to realise that there's a lot of science in this area and we have very little hope of improving on it with our drills and Dremel cutters.

As a curiosity, bikes had very little available space for a decent well designed airbox until the Twin-spar or Deltabox type frame was introduced. This did away with the top tubes, increased frame rigidity no end and as a bonus, it enabled engineers to spread the airboxes over the top of the engine, greatly improving performance.

What a lot of people don't appreciate is that it was not Yamaha that invented the Deltabox frame. The inventor and developer was a Spanish engineer, Antonio Cobas, who successfully raced his own designs for steel and aluminium twin-spar frames.

This is well documented in literature produced by such chassis authorities as Tony Foale, etc, but the average biker can't possibly believe that a privateer and self-taught engineer (never mind a Spaniard!!) could teach the Japs a thing or two, and start a new frame craze that's followed by most manufacturers now.
    Last edited by forchetto; 11-04-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Quote Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
    Then I struck gold on e-bay, Xian Racing do a 'P&P' pipe for £65 which they claimed should fit most chines 125-200cc bikes.
    Are these P&P pipes 'neighbour friendly'?

I prefer not to wake the world when I go for a ride through the city.

4. #14 Qingqi QM200GY P&P Exhaust muffler 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmarty45 View Post
    Are these P&P pipes 'neighbour friendly'?

I prefer not to wake the world when I go for a ride through the city.
    I've just ordered one from the UK. Probably have it fitted by the weekend, but I would think it sounds quite "throaty" (i.e. Loud) from the description given by the seller. Most of these mufflers are of the "straight through" or "absortion" type of silencer. They consist of a perforated inner tubing surrounded by fibre wool. This material soon disappears with mileage and the sound gets louder and louder.
    Some of them are repackable with new wool, some have to have the rivets drilled out and replaced with screws to make them repackable.
    There are other more sophisticated designs about, complete with things like spark arresters, configurable baffle systems, etc, but they're a great deal more expensive than the P&P one, of the order of $230 to $300.

Here's a diagram of the typical construction of an absortion silencer, sorry about the Spanish annotations:

Last edited by forchetto; 11-17-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

thanks Forchetto, i like the diagram too, muy bueno

I checked ebay and the Xian racing seller isn't posting outside the Uk. Their website comes online (apparently) in a few days so hopefully they will consider shipping internationally through there.

A bit of noise never hurt the rider!
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

6. #16 QINGI QM200GY P&P Exhaust 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    I know Gareth Truscott (Xian Racing) from both being contributors to a UK forum:
    http://www.thechinesebikeforum.com

He doesn't send things abroad normally because he's had problems with parcels going astray in the past. I am arranging my own transport through the same carrier my company uses to bring goods from the UK, so it should be OK, and he has agreed to sell me stuff.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Maybe you can be a distributor!?!?! Just watch out for the green-eyed monster!

CC
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Maybe you can be a distributor!?!?! Just watch out for the green-eyed monster!
    CC
    "There's many a true word spoken in jest". I own and run a small manufacturing company making industrial electronic products and have been considering some sort of diversification, setting up some distributorships or something like that. I have even thought of importing Chinese bikes and setting up a dealership that would work properly and not like the sort of thing we have at the moment here in Spain. Lots of incompetents and fly-by-night merchants about.

I wouldn't stick to just one maker, but bring in a selection of the sort of bikes I think are best. The Qingqis already have an importer, and they're good, with virtually 100% spares availability and they send the bikes all over Spain already assembled and tested, and not in bits inside a crate. I could simply become a dealer for them, as they have very few in the country. I have lost count of the number of folks that ask me where they can get one like mine.

Sadly the present economic situation has put paid to any plans or dreams as we batten down the hatches and see if we can survive this fine mess our finantial wizzards have gotten us into.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

9. #19 Re: Hello from Ed209-Superbyke RMR200 owner 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi

I want to ask something...
    I bought my bike in second hand and the previous owner modified the air box.
    He cut the "snorkel" end of air intakes (like the photo in this topic), I supposed with idea of letting more air in.
    The bike runs good, but after read this topic,I don't know if I should get a new airbox or not.
    What do you think? forchetto told that runs a bike with a modified airbox could be dangerous right?

Thank you
    Mario

10. #20 Re: Hello from Ed209-Superbyke RMR200 owner 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi guys im new here ,,, well i was traying to look for some mods for my bike i have the same bike supermoto 200 , and i did the same things as ed209 i cut off the carbs holes and i put a diferent yet needle in my it was a 122.5 and i put a 130 i am thinking to use a bigger one like 135 but to be honest i really feel a lot of diference betwen the 122.5 to 130 i was a great improve and the engine star to run cold (before it was running hot) ,, well i have a question wat hapen if i use a bigger spacer betwen the carb and the engine head i been reading a lot and most of the people say that one inch of space betwen the carb and the engine head can make a good improve well what do you think guy abouth that ?(and i was looking the sport bikes and most of then have a big space betwent this to parts) off course there is no a space in tha area but i can make it work i was thinking on take of the carb box and use a 2 inch hoses and put a k&n filter under the seat well traying to do nice work over ther lol ok guys take care ,,, sorry for my english im spanish but i think you can understandme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12