Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello from Harbin 
    Hello,

My name is Steve. I live in Harbin. I'm hoping to ride from Harbin to Xinjiang this summer, stopping by wherever is interesting on the way. Right now I'm trying to navigate my way through the mess of getting a license and all the other paperwork taken care of. I've been reading here for a while trying to learn from everybody else's experience.

While I work out the license, I'm trying to decide what bike to buy for the trip, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the Shineray Long march, mostly because of the big gas tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also trying to find another person to go with, so I'f anybody is interested, let me know. I'm off work until mid-August, so the dates are pretty flexible.

Here is a pic of my last bike that I had to sell before moving to China:
    CIMG1232.jpg

2. #2 Re: Hello from Harbin 
    hey steve good luck with your trip
    the long march is as good as anything

what is that chopper? a honda four?

3. #3 Re: Hello from Harbin 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Steve

Harbin? My old stomping grounds - spent several years there, on the North side of the river (out in the "sticks"). Rode a CJ750 around Heilongjiang and found several interesting riding places in the Eastern part of the province. Despite Harbin being a bike-ban city, there is a large motorcycle community. If you connect with one of the shops, it will help you out with the paperwork. As "recently" as 2007, though, I recall hearing that Harbin did not offer the English version of the driving license test for motorcycles. May have modernized by now.

Your proposed trip sounds interesting. I'd recommend a Chinese bike (such as a Shineray) since the local, village "mechanics" will have a chance to be able to work on it. Simplicity is the rule.

Good luck!

4. #4 Re: Hello from Harbin 
    Thanks for the replies.

Zhu-Yeah, it was made from a '75cb750.

Lao Jia- I'm in Daoli district, and conveniently live right next to the big motorcycle market. Everybody's just selling bikes on the street, so its hard to find somebody who is legit and could get the papers, but hopefully I will. I don't think Harbin has the English version,but hopefully I can find a "translator" aka somebody who takes the test for me. Thats what all the foreigners who have car licenses do here. I have yet to meet a foreigner in Harbin who has a bike license.

I was thinking about the cj750, but I've never ridden one. How are they on Gas? Did you ever have trouble finding parts for it here up north? I've only seen 3 of them here in Harbin.