I haven't been able to find much info about Harbin here, so I thought I would contribute my experience.

If I was just going to be riding in the city, I wouldn't bother getting a license since they don't really care here. But since I am planning to ride to Xinjiang, I want to get all of the legal stuff as covered as possible, since you never know if the cop at the roadblock is going to smile and let you continue, or use any possible excuse to take your bike.

After doing as much research as I could, (which usually turns out to be useless) I got all of the necessary documents taken care of, pictures taken and translated.

I have a 1 year residence permit, and a valid American (Arizona) drivers license so technically this process should be doable. I'm not holding my breath though.

1.Translated American license-100RMB
2.Translated Passport-100Rmb
3.Took Photos-10RMB
4.Got proof of residence from police station-Free
5.Made several photocopies of each-3RMB

Today I went to the drivers license testing center, which is conveniently located far outside the city, and started the process.

6.Taxi ride-30rmb

After waiting a while, I was able to talk to the man working behind the desk. I had heard from other foreigners who had their licenses transferred that this guy was a dick. They were right. After staring at my license for a long time, he told me it was fake, because a. It was vertical format and the picture on his computer of an AZ license was horizontal, and b. The expiration date was too long and he did not believe it. (it expires in 2054,AZ licenses are valid for a long time)

After that, he told me that the translation of my License and passport did not have my chinese name, and thus I could not get a Chinese license. I had an official document from the police station that had my both my real name and Chinese name, but he said that did not matter and my license and passport must also have it. I asked him if my American license and passport do not have my Chinese name, than how could the translation possibly have it? He told me it didn't matter, they must have a Chinese name.

After that he told me to leave and fix the translation, then ignored me. So I never found out if they have an English test or not. Since its Harbin I assume they don't. He also didn't answer when I asked if there was anything else I need to fix before next time. So he's probably waiting for me to come back so he can find something else wrong and send me away again.

7. Taxi ride home empty handed-40RMB (the license place is in the middle of nowhere and taxi's don't usually go there, so the ones that are there know you have no other option, and take the opportunity gouge anyone who needs a ride)

So far: 283RMB, lots of hours, and no progress.