Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    One more step down. Passed the theory test. The last step (hopefully, but don't wanna count the chickens before they hatch) is to go back on Friday and pick up the license.

The internet system (which is connected to the computer testing) was flaking out there today, so it was pretty much a riot. Outside the testing room were hoards of people waiting to be let in. I waited about 2 hours, then I took the advice of a Chinese friend "见缝插针,They don't know what to do about foreigners, just walk in" I felt kind of bad about the people outside, but figured our karma was about even, after all the hassle I've been through. I walked in and after another 30 or so minutes of them restarting the computers over and over because of the net issues, I was able to start. The test was easy this time, now that I had actually prepared for the English exam (BIG thanks to Euphonius for sending the question bank) but 75% of the way through the computers froze. It wouldn't advance to the next question. All of the test takers started yelling at the overseer. I kept clicking and nothing happened. After 10 minutes of nothing, except a lot of angry test takers, it unfroze, but my clicking had somehow made it advance a few questions. Due to the weird computer issues, today nobody was able to change an answer they had input, so the four "d" s in a row I had input(2 of which were wrong) were not able to be changed, but luckily it all worked out in the end. I feel bad for the guys working in that office today, they were getting yelled at all day and didn't even have time for lunch because of all the computer issues.

Taxi there-25
    Taxi back-23

Total: 604 RMB, 20-ish days.

2. #22 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Success! Got the license today. It was eerily too easy. I just walked in, they had a pleasant attitude, had no line to wait in, and picked it up and then left. I was there less than 5 minutes. I had to pinch myself to make sure it was reality. Much different than the 4 previous times I had been there.

Taxi there-25
    License-10RMB
    Taxi back-25

Grand total: 664 RMB (almost all spent on taxis) and about 4 weeks.

3. #23 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    excellent news. congrats! now you're part of the way there. just got to find yourself some wheels, then the fun really begins!

4. #24 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Steve, thank you for all the info on here. I know this is an old post, I just started a new one regarding Harbin and then came across yours.

Can I just ask:
    1) Do you know the address for the Foreign Affairs Office to get my licence translated or do I need to go to the Drivers Licence Testing Centre?
    2) In terms of documents that I need translating is that my passport and UK licence?
    3) After getting the documents translated do I go to the Public Security Bureau Traffic Department with: Passport & Translation (with both my English and Chinese name), Licence & Translation (with both my English and Chinese name), Residence Permit, Passport Photos, A load of photocopies of each?

I wonder if Epic Dick still works there......

5. #25 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    1) Do you know the address for the Foreign Affairs Office to get my licence translated or do I need to go to the Drivers Licence Testing Centre?
    2) In terms of documents that I need translating is that my passport and UK licence?
    3) After getting the documents translated do I go to the Public Security Bureau Traffic Department with: Passport & Translation (with both my English and Chinese name), Licence & Translation (with both my English and Chinese name), Residence Permit, Passport Photos, A load of photocopies of each?

I wonder if Epic Dick still works there......
    1. Any place that does translation can do it. Just make sure they have the official stamp thing. If its some student doing it out of their basement or something they won't accept it.
    2. Its China so nothing is ever constant, but when I did it I translated my drivers license (front and back, make sure they translate the motorcycle endorsement or you'll be taking an extra trip to the translator) and my passport. When they translate the passport make sure they translate the name into Chinese as well. The drivers licence system can not handle English names.
    3. In theory that should be all you need. They might come up with a load of extra bullshit for you though. Depends on who is working probably. I wouldn't be surprised if epic dick is still there, I think he's been working there for a long long time.

Good luck. Are you in Harbin at the moment?

6. #26 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbinSteve View Post
    1. Any place that does translation can do it. Just make sure they have the official stamp thing. If its some student doing it out of their basement or something they won't accept it.
    2. Its China so nothing is ever constant, but when I did it I translated my drivers license (front and back, make sure they translate the motorcycle endorsement or you'll be taking an extra trip to the translator) and my passport. When they translate the passport make sure they translate the name into Chinese as well. The drivers licence system can not handle English names.
    3. In theory that should be all you need. They might come up with a load of extra bullshit for you though. Depends on who is working probably. I wouldn't be surprised if epic dick is still there, I think he's been working there for a long long time.

I have a trip planned to the Foreign Affairs Office for my Residency Permit so I'll get them to do it while I am there.

I'm about 1 1/2 hours out of Harbin in a smaller town called Wuchang. I'll be making weekly trips into Harbin on my day off (Monday) if you are still around and have a spare hour or two to meet up that would be great.

7. #27 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbinSteve View Post

I have a trip planned to the Foreign Affairs Office for my Residency Permit so I'll get them to do it while I am there.

I'm about 1 1/2 hours out of Harbin in a smaller town called Wuchang. I'll be making weekly trips into Harbin on my day off (Monday) if you are still around and have a spare hour or two to meet up that would be great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123