Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    good news that you went along with it, and great you have first obstacle removed.
    同志仍需努力

2. #12 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Be careful at this stage.They should have given you a specific time when this computer test is held in my case three set times a day on certain days.The first time they gave me a time to do the test funny enough no one was there and they said "today's testing had been cancelled come back next week"

Be careful if they provide "an official translator" You have the right to choose your own translator but in my case when I turned up with my translator they refused her and said I had to use their translator who spoke basic English at best and at one stage we were arguing over the answers.He the translator made me fail the test and he was a cop.

They know well in my case they knew there was an English version of the test they just didn't want the hassle of a foreigner riding driving on the roads and the problems if said foreigners had/caused an accident.

Easier if foreigner rides illegally then foreigner can be blamed if there is an accident whether their in the right or wrong.At least where I live.

Good luck harbinsteve it can be done I know one guy who plugged away at them for 18months before he got his license here.

Knowing what I now know I would have gone about getting my license a different but more costly way.

3. #13 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." --Walter Bagehot
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Be careful if they provide "an official translator" You have the right to choose your own translator but in my case when I turned up with my translator they refused her and said I had to use their translator who spoke basic English at best and at one stage we were arguing over the answers.He the translator made me fail the test and he was a cop.
    Aweful experience, but deadly effetive against 'stubborn' man.
    同志仍需努力

5. #15 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    My city is far smaller and less important than Harbin, yet many foreigners have gotten licences here. It seems Harbin people would much rather foreigners not get Chinese driving licenses.

6. #16 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    What kind of bike can you ride up in Harbin anyway? Isn't it frozen over for 9 months a year? I've been up there once and I remember taxi drivers drift more than drive.

No seriously, show us your gear and steed.. shame if you can't get your license in this summer.

7. #17 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Be careful at this stage.They should have given you a specific time when this computer test is held in my case three set times a day on certain days
    Yeah, I asked the guy for clarification about that and he just ignored me. Nobody else I asked seemed to know. The dest in a different building, so I think they just didn't care, since it wasn't their responsibility.

As for the translator, I decided to take advantage of Chinese students' talent of being able to memorize thousands of multiple choice questions for tests, and hired a student from a nearby university to "translate" for me. According to the internet, since I am only doing the D license, and not the one for cars also, the test pool should have 420 questions. (as of May 2012)

So, If I am lucky, when I show up on Tuesday I will have a chance to take the test, and hopefully pass. If not, at least I will be able to gather some information for the next time.

No seriously, show us your gear and steed.. shame if you can't get your license in this summer.
    Here is the first "bike" I had in Harbin:
    Attachment 7689
    It is a 2 stroke. I liked that one cause it was bulletproof. Just pedal to start, pop the clutch and it would fire right up. -30 outside, no problem. Sit for a month without riding it, no problem.

But, it was kinda slow and couldn't carry any friends, so I upgraded:
    Attachment 7690
    Its decent. Gets great mileage, can carry one or two extra people, and handles ok in the snow. I have to kick start it in the winter, and every single piece of hardware is a different size, but overall its good. I've been riding that for the last 7 or so months.

For the trip I'm planning to the west, I plan to get a 150-250, maybe endure-style. I wan't something with a big gas tank and most mechanics are familiar with/parts easy to get. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

As for the winter in harbin, here are a few:
    Brake pedal:
    IMG_0728.jpg
    A tree:
    IMG_0730.jpg
    Snow: (pulled over while riding to take this one)
    IMG_0726.jpg
    Not a good pic, but the only one I have of the winter riding clothes:
    IMG_0969.jpg
    The key is to have no skin exposed.

All in all, I figure as long as a 40 year old woman can sit outside and sell newspapers or sweep the street for 10 hours in that kind of weather, I have no excuse not to ride my motorcycle.

8. #18 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Sooooo...

In very Chinese fashion, the information I had been told about the test (aka, there was no English test, and that I would have to bring a translator to take it in Chinese) was completely opposite of what it really was. I arrived with my translator, and they told me she could not enter. Then they said of course they had an English version, and I would take the test in English. My translator just looked at each other and shrugged, there was nothing we could do, and I had wasted her time bringing her there. So I took the test (without having studied, because I thought it was going to be in Chinese) and got an 84. They told me I have to wait one week before I can try again. There was a few "English" questions that I could not understand. One of my favorites was asking about the steering wheel of the motorcycle. haha.

At least I've learned 2 valuable things: Harbin has an English test, and the class "d" motorcycle test only has 50 questions out of a pool of 420 total.

Also, they said they do not have a book of the English test questions, and I would have to find them online. I'm not having any luck.Does anybody have a link to the English motorcycle questions? The only one I can find also has the car questions, which I do not need.

Taxi there-27
    Taxi back-30

Total: 556 RMB, 13-ish days.
    Last edited by HarbinSteve; 06-26-2012 at 06:56 AM.

9. #19 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    At least your making head way.

10. #20 Re: Getting a license in Harbin 
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbinSteve View Post

All in all, I figure as long as a 40 year old woman can sit outside and sell newspapers or sweep the street for 10 hours in that kind of weather, I have no excuse not to ride my motorcycle.
    40 year old woman or locals have been living in -25c winter weather probably all their life.I've seen locals here ride their bike/Ebike/motorcycle with no gloves no scarf light jacket no helmet in -25c doesn't seem to affect them.Me I'm getting frost bite after 30 minutes fully kitted up in proper winter clothes walking around.

Man you must be keen to ride when it gets that cold not to mention the snow and ice on the road.It scares me driving in a car in those conditions and I had snow tyres on the car.Drove a car in snow and ice here last winter with normal summer tyres never doing that again never.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast