Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys,
    I just brought my bike to the shop to get a new set of tires mounted and balanced, and the entire way there it seemed like the bike was missing shifts. I could watch the gear LED go from 2->3 and then drop back to 2, It was really weird. I wanted to know if this was a common problem and if so where should I start when tearing this down?

2. #2 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    a stupid question but is the chian tension right too loose and it'll have problems engaging and too tight and it might pop out of gear

3. #3 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    C-Moto Noob
    No this problem just started today and before it shifted fine. ill check the tension when I get it back but it always rode fine before today =\ I hope its something as easy as that.

4. #4 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    The terminology would popping out of gear, if you force the shifts to hard and to rapidly you can wear pegs they are also called dogs, they mesh, pegs into round holes. Basically the dogs can be worn down or the holes can be elongated, then it slips out.

People sometime complain that their new bike has trouble getting in neutral or leaving neutral, or just stick in a gear, if and when that happens you slowly let out the clutch and gently press on the shift lever. I've seen people bang or try to bang it into gear, that’s so wrong.

If the problem persists you will need to have the case taken apart and the worn parts replaced. If you hear grinding sounds then stop riding it if a part fractures it could lock it up while ridding.

Check your self, make sure you shift or engage the shifts fully, rapid hard shifting without fully engaging can bring it about.

5. #5 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    MJH the terminology is dog teeth(dog clutch) and synchromesh this matches the speed of the gear to the engine speed, its a new bike so i doubt the wear will be that bad yet in a car it is more common to damage dog teeth but in bikes its more likely to be a tweaked selector fork thats having trouble shifting the drive to another cog

6. #6 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for all the thorough responses guys, I really appreciate it. I should be getting the bike back at some point today. They kept it over night. I'll pay close attention to it on the ride back and see how it goes.

7. #7 Re: QLink XP 200 Missing Shifts 
    If its a new motorcycle then it likely just a matter of wearing in and you getting accustom to it. It is not a know problem, there was one incident of an engine with high miles on it that broke the dogs of a gear.

Here is a very informative site on how transmissions work.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm