Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Zongshen Sierra 200 GY2 Parts 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all,

I have had my Zongshen 200 GY2 for over a year now and have been very happy with it - until recently when I was out for a cruise and whilst at 50-60mph cruise the engine did the following things:

1) The engine "felt" like it had kicked down into first gear -
    2) Very high revs +
    3) Rapid deceleration +
    4) Followed shortly by the engine dying.
    5) Upon inspection, the engine was roasting hot.

After trucking it back home and letting it cool down I restarted the bike - the engine runs and appears to give out full power but there is now a distinct "tapping" sound - so could be the valves.

Anyway, took it to a repair shop and they say that the timing chain has been stretched.

My problem is, the bike IS under warranty but looks like that doesn't mean jack because Zongshen simply don't have any parts and are unwilling to co-operate.

What can I do??? Does anybody know of ANYONE with a timing chain for the 200 GY?

The manual says the part number is:

1532B-L067-0000

I greatly appreciate any help that you can give me! My bike has been in the shop for over 2 months now! I've stuck driving the "loaner" about and it's a scooter!!

HELP!

Ces,

Welcome to the board and sorry to hear about your stretched timing chain!

How many miles do you have on your bike?

Probably best place to check would be the ZongshenAmerica importers out of Florida. I've put in a message to them but you may want to call them directly. I hear they have some parts! If you can actually successfully order and receive parts from them please be sure to let us all know! I'll also be posting any meaningful response they send me.

Web: http://www.zongshenamerica.com/

Phone: (305)500-9989

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Strange sequence of events. A stretched timing chain shouldn't do all that revving up and rapid deceleration lark. The slack can be so extreme that the chain jumps the sprocket and throws the timing one or more teeth out, but you would have known well before this happened by the noise it would make. It might have become very loose due to sudden failure of the tensioner, but even so the valve timing would have been retarded by the chain jumping a few teeth and none of that revving effect. Just a loss of performance at first and if the chain jumped a bit more the valves could hit the piston and wreck the engine.

It's a long shot, but gear selector drum detents have been known to break and allow the gearbox to go from 5th down to 1st gear, specially if, as we all do, we ocassionally "feel" to see if there's another gear to come, even though we're already in top gear.

The resultant over-revs could have damaged the valves and piston.

Does the gearbox work OK now?. Try and see if it will go from 5th down to 1st with a further UP click.

I am however disgusted by the importers attitude on a bike still in warranty...no spares? on a machine that is still being sold all over the place? such poor service from a corporation the size of Zongshen? a company that boasts partnerships with the likes of Piaggio and even mighty Harley Davidson?...words fail me.

If it helps the part number is: Timing chain 1532B-L067-0000

Have you tried this parts site?: http://parts.zongsheninternational.c...00007&PageNo=4
    Last edited by forchetto; 11-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Noob
    Hi, thanks for your help...I gave that company in Miami a quick call and indeed they said they had the part required for $19!! No problem

So now i'm wondering what the f*** my dealer has been doing with my bike for the last 2 months. What a joke.

---

As to the cause - I cannot speculate as I simply do not have the required knowledge regarding engines. All i know is there is a new tapping noise after the incident. As mentioned, the bike gets full power and the gears work just fine (no "shunting" back down to 1st if I try from 4th) - so god only knows what happened.

After all of this I do not have too much confidence in my dealer/repairer....will keep you all posted and will put some pictures up when I get it back - I've modified it a bit to better suit my aesthetic eye!

Thanks again.

Cesandoe,

Glad to hear they had the part available! Please let us know when the part "Actually Arrives (tm)".

Looking forward to seeing the pics! Also, feel free to introduce yourself and your ride in the appropriate section.

Hope you get back on the road soon!

Paz,
    CC

C-Moto Noob
    Going to talk to the punks at the repair shop tomorrow and confront them with the reality of how simple it is to order parts.

Does anyone know how long it should take a mechanic to swap out a valve timing chain? Just want to make sure they're not going to present me with some ridiculous labor bill.

Where do I stand on the whole warranty issue? I bought the bike FROM this place - and they are saying Zongshen don't have the parts (a quick call to the Miami importer old me otherwise).

They say they're trying to track down the part and even mentioned Ebay. I'm not liable for any costs am I? I don't care if the company that gave the warranty "doesn't have parts" - that doesn't get rid of the fact that the store sold me a bike with a warranty that covers the Engine and Drivetrain.

Should I just pull the bike from them and order the parts myself - but then who would fit them?

Getting ticked off now! Again, any help appreciated.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    The time given in a dealers parts book that I have for a similar bike is 90 minutes to replace cam chain. They're bound to find other components that need attention though, so say about 3 to 4 hours labour charges.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Ces,

Although it would be nice if the stealership honored their warranty, sometimes it worth considering doing these things ourselves just so we can get back on the road again.

On this site you can find the service manual (not the owners manual mind you) which gives you illustrated step by step instruction to do the repair you're talking about. It's true cam chains are not the easiest thing to repair but seeing as how your bike is not currently ridable anyway and the stealers sound like pricks, then there's not much to loose and you'd learn A LOT about motorcycles in general.

One of the nice things about Chinese bikes is that they are mechanically simple to work on and now that you know a place with parts, all you need is a little time and attention to detail. If you have any problems, there are some very skilled guys here who can help you along the way so you aren't alone.

Then when it's all said and done, you'll understand and appreciate your bike that much more, be back on the road again PLUS able to give the to the dealers.

Just my .02
    CC

9. #9 The drama continues... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all -

I'd love to give the repair a go myself but alas I lack:

1) The tools
    2) A place to perform the repair (I live on apartment complex)
    3) The time

I went into the shop last week to confront them about the importer in Miami seemingly having lots of spare parts on hand - the guys at the stealership (I like that!) looked all confused and one of them actually said...

"...We haven't really had chance to take a look at the bike yet"

This after about 5 weeks!

I went in today to check the progress and he admitted to me that they still hadn't looked at the bike or called the Miami importer for parts.

Meanwhile I'm stuck on the 250 scooter the gave me. Every day that goes by is another day that i could accidentally damage their bike and be liable for the damage.

I can't get my warranty parts through anyone else. I feel stuck. I just want it fixed and back in my possession.

Thanks for the estimates on how long it should take to fix - I'll keep you posted on what these fools do with my bike.

Am I allowed to name and shame on this thread or is it frowned upon?

Cesandoe,

Man sorry to hear about your difficult situation and please do keep us posted. One option would be to buy the parts yourself and find another shop that would do the work but it certainly wouldn't be under warranty that way.

If you're having a great or grotesuqe experience with a dealer then you are free to comment on it. There's a separate part of the forum for it called "Dealerships and Distributors" where you can leave a comment about them. Names and stuff are cool but I suggest not being to emotionally charged when writing as it actually doesn't help to prove your point.

Be fair about reporting what happened and how you feel about it. While I can't directly encourage use of swear words, feel free to go crazy with the emoticons!

CC