Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    Here is an article on an Indonesian website, the Suzuki DOHC 125 it is notorious for burning oil and guzzling petrol.

http://pertamax7.com/2012/09/05/main...pic-yang-unik/

That looks like the same engine.

Here is the 150cc version of the same engine....

Suzuki sells a step troughs in Malaysia with that engine, they are called a Belang R150, the latest version of the engine has a six speed gear box. http://www.suzuki.com.my/v3/index.php

Micantech Engine

The Micantech engine is without any doubt a copy of the Suzuki 125/150 SACS engines.
    Last edited by MJH; 04-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.

2. #42 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    Well, I just signed up for the event. While not being a sports bike expert I hope afterwards I can share some impressions about the bike and the production. If anybody else is there pls. let me know. Might me a good event to meet some forum members.

Without having any involvement or opinion towards Micantech I can also feel some negative attitude in some places in this threat towards a company/product that seems to have hardly any reference so far. I can understand might pick up even more on somebody who is personally involved and maybe not a native speaker. That said, I appreciate the presence of Markintosh and his comments to the company. It is good to speak with somebody who has some knowledge and some opinion based on that, better tan talking to a polite "marketing" lady. Seems to be a small, young company daring to produce a not so mainstream design and arrange such an event.
    Only field tests will tell if the balance between quality and price is good and if the product can be taken serious. I have been long enough in China not to have any high expexpectiations. But I think it is just fair to hold back with comments about lacking processes and quality as long as there are no reports of bikes falling apart yet.

Anywans, looking forward to the event. And hope we have a bit better picture next week.

3. #43 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    In 1970, I was racing motocross on a Spanish made Bultaco against Swedish made Husqvarna, Czech made CZ's, German made Maico's, and other European makes. We laughed when the Japanese introduced theirs, Hell, the Suzuki motocross bikes often broke frames upon landing after a small jump resulting in loads of laughs for all of us snobs! Within 8 years the Japanese were kiciking the European's asses. Today the Japanese rule the market and all the European models I mentioned above are gone completely or just a former skeleton of the glory days. Don't count out the new guys just because they are Chinese or new out of the norm design.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #44 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    In 1970, I was racing motocross on a Spanish made Bultaco against Swedish made Husqvarna, Czech made CZ's, German made Maico's, and other European makes. We laughed when the Japanese introduced theirs, Hell, the Suzuki motocross bikes often broke frames upon landing after a small jump resulting in loads of laughs for all of us snobs! Within 8 years the Japanese were kiciking the European's asses. Today the Japanese rule the market and all the European models I mentioned above are gone completely or just a former skeleton of the glory days. Don't count out the new guys just because they are Chinese or new out of the norm design.
    In 1970 I was racing on sand (beach racing) riding BSA twins,great bikes and very competitive,the Japanese tried to get there noses in but really the light weight power of the twin with low down torque always ruled the beach,,did not save BSA though....There time was UP!!!! Regarding this new bike ,,I wish it every success,,as I have just returned from China ,I am gutted I misssed this event,I love to be around bikes and meet motorcyclists..And as I have issues with my new Honda NC700X,s forks I would be interested in this new approach.I think this is the line Chinese bike manufacturers should take ,do something just different,,abit offf the wall,and not the same old Hon/Suz/Yam/Kaw copy..But maybe this bike looks too much alike its chinese competitors,in that its a 125cc sports bike same look as a million others..Maybe for around the same development costs(I know nothing about cost ,but what the heck) they could have made a big bike ,Maybe using the Jinlin big single..Not sports orientated,but a practical everyday kind of bike...OK enough of my waffling,,, to all ,have a good day!!!

5. #45 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    Quote Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
    In 1970 I was racing on sand (beach racing) riding BSA twins,great bikes and very competitive,the Japanese tried to get there noses in but really the light weight power of the twin with low down torque always ruled the beach,,did not save BSA though....There time was UP!!!! Regarding this new bike ,,I wish it every success,,as I have just returned from China ,I am gutted I misssed this event,I love to be around bikes and meet motorcyclists..And as I have issues with my new Honda NC700X,s forks I would be interested in this new approach.I think this is the line Chinese bike manufacturers should take ,do something just different,,abit offf the wall,and not the same old Hon/Suz/Yam/Kaw copy..But maybe this bike looks too much alike its chinese competitors,in that its a 125cc sports bike same look as a million others..Maybe for around the same development costs(I know nothing about cost ,but what the heck) they could have made a big bike ,Maybe using the Jinlin big single..Not sports orientated,but a practical everyday kind of bike...OK enough of my waffling,,, to all ,have a good day!!!
    Sounds like we are on the same page. My friend had a Rickman Triumph that was a blast to ride at the sandy MX tracks. I can only guess about how fun beaches would have been. BSA's were heavy but way cool.

The more large displacement bikes there are in China the better!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #46 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    A short feed back about the event, the company and this bike.

When going to an event in China it is usually good to expct nothing and be prepared for everything. I did not know the brand before and went with the girlfriend there just to get an impression. Even though I am currently not in the market for a sportsbike, as I am trying to get legal on a dual sport, it was interesting. It turned out to be a great weekend and we met many friendly people.

First we went to a prepared part of the industrial earea where you could try the speed and handling of the M2. They had four of their new M2 bikes ready for testing and everybody could try. Some local motorbike clubs joined with their import bikes (including a licensed Ninja). The atmosphere was great.

The styling of the bike I find quite appealing. It looks fast and elegant, not like a toy, also not trying to immitate a bigger bike.

The handling is also good. When hitting the front brakes the bike only sinks in very moderately at the front. Still enough to have a good feedback. An experience you normally just get on a BMW. Heavier riders found this even more stunning.

When pushing the bike arround you notice the steering angle is limited by the design, compared to a normal bike. But when driving it is not an issue, you can still take very tight turns, the design will never limit you when driving.

An 125cc engine certainly does not have the power to give you a rocket lauch feeling. But it should be suffucuent for normal street use. Where the engine exells is is above 8000rpm. So even at speed the throttle is quite responsive. In this respect the bike might be faster than some China-250ccs. You feel that the engine is just happy at high RPMs. It still runs very smooth. It can be race tuned to 18000rpm. So no worries poshing it. In the factory we could see the internals. The cylinderheads nicely machined, and DLC coated valves and key componnts. Imported precision machining equipment. A clean production line and dynamo testing.

My personal opinion on the front suspension as an engineer:

In most hydraulic and pneumatic designs telescopic pistons are designed to take force in exactly one direction and this is parallel to the movement. Any bending force has to be excluded. Just look at construction machinery, fork lift, cars or your rear damper: On both ends there are ball bearings and a mechanical system guides the movement of the damper.

Just on your front forks this practise is ignored in favour of easy design. When your front forks go through a pothole the bending force towards you is mechanically a nightmare. Sure, the design is everywhere. By quantity, material choice and oversizing (compare front shocks with higher loaded rear shocks) the design is safe in most riding conditions. (remember steering stability on those bikes in fast, dynamic situations is still struggled with by top brands from time to time. Would you trust a chinese brand?)

Now imagine you do not have to trust these telescopic forks any more but could have an inherently stiff and sound design as your rear fork or the A-arms of a dune buggy. The challenge is just to have a system of bearings that allows the steering independently and the transmission doing its job independently. This is what Micantech did with the M2 suspension. They managed to let the front wheel move as it has to move and still the fixture points only have to transfer parallel forces, no bending.

After that we moved to the factory with a MX track in front of it. It had rained the week before, but the weekend was sunny, so perfect conditions for loads of fun. The small pit bikes were provided by YCF (http://www.ycf-riding.com) which have a development cooperation on the engines with micantech. The bikes are quite capable. Everybody could ride as much as he wanted.

After this the BBQ with good(!) beer and a roasted pig started. The whole event was arranged just very nicely.

This is not your typical chinese company trying to make business by welding quantities frames together and attaching whatever engine and accessories they can get with people sittung on the floor and hammering bearings into something.
    With a laowei with engineering background in charge I am sure they will not ship out bikes with screws loose; the company is owned and managed by a friendly French guy who has sepent his whole life with motorbikes also in the racing industry. They first developed a nice engine and have a lot of know how here. And now the bike is also completely their design down to the mirror. No compromise. They did something innoivative and have even more interesting stuff in the pipeline. I would not hesitate to do business with them.
    Attached Images

7. #47 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 

8. #48 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    they must know how a bike should handle if they have a RVF 400 in there building.

Kennon

9. #49 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    There is technology in this RVF that is unbelievable. The brake lines have quick detach couplings. You can just clip them apart, change the brake pump, clip the new one in... no air in the system.
    Michel, the GM used to be a mechanic, later pilot then racing team manager. When he talks about engines and exhausts you see it is all just variables for him. He has actual design experience with the most advenced racing bikes and engines. No doubt they know what they are doing.

10. #50 Re: Micantech - New Suspension System 
    To what extent of production of these 125s and 150s are hoping in the company?

So, no one had a chance to try their 150 cc engine, which, as people from Micantech claim, pumps out nearly 20 horsepower?

Was there any discussion about larger displacements - specifically, 1/4 of a liter?

Is this final design of M2 or some changes may occur before the start of mass production? Are there plans for a bike with that suspension system, but different "form factor"? Is it mentioned which factory will perform final assembly of the motorcycle?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast