Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Taobao Dealers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Taobao Dealers 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Well have stumbled on another dealer selling the same high priced motorcycle and almost 40% off, requesting the same payment method. The seller has lots of hearts, and is in Guangdong, as opposed to the previous seller who was in Shanghai.

I have determined that me.alipay.com is part of alipay.com but was set up so that Chinese people could give monetary donations directly for the Sichuan earthquake. Hence why it is applied automatically to anyone with a Alipay (wangwang) account. Now some sellers (less than honest it would seem) are trying to use it to trick potential buyers into using it for payment, as the me.alipay has much of the same look as alipay.com

We will be making a complaint about this alternative seller we have been communicating with today. The seller insisted that we can pay a 5% deposit only paid into me.alipay.com, even we offered the to pay the full amount into alipay.com, the seller declined. That in itself is a red flag. The seller refusing to use alipay.com and insists on payment into me.alipay.com is another red flag.

The discount on the purchase price of the motorcycle is some 20K less than it should be, and the motorcycle is new supposedly still in the box.

2. #12 Re: Taobao Dealers 
    20K discount sounds a bit dodgy.
    If the business is legit and the bike is as advertised, why go through direct payment? Something just doesn't add up here. Still better buy a bike after you see it and all.

3. #13 Re: Taobao Dealers 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    20K discount sounds a bit dodgy.
    If the business is legit and the bike is as advertised, why go through direct payment? Something just doesn't add up here. Still better buy a bike after you see it and all.
    Exactly. Dodgy as Dodge. With the SH dealer initially he said he has a store, even had photos of a motocycle shop with bikes on display. Then when he insisted on payment put into me.alipay.com and not alipay.com, we said, um, ok, we will go to SH to visit the shop, see the bike (new) and pay him in cash. He then said, oh he has a warehouse full of bikes and not a shop (red flag), and no he couldn't be paid in cash (red flag) as he needed the money into the me.alipay.com account so he could obtain the fapiao (red flag). So for that shop it was easy as it is like a 3 hour drive on the expressway from here. The second dealer/seller is in Guangdong, not exactly a short half day drive. With the second dealer, when we were getting ready to make the complaint with Taobao about it, the link for the bike went down. The dealer/seller still exists and has other bikes for sale, but just the link to the bike in question is gone.

Yes, so getting to see a bike or anything up front, close and personal is best, nut not always doable. We use Taobao to buy all manner of items almost daily, and have little incident. Yes some crap is just that, crap, and only reinforces my belief in one gets what one pays for. Yesterday we talked with another Taobao motorcycle dealer in SH, about a new C650GT for 178K. Price seems like it would be about right for a legal bike, and is well above most others for sale on Taobao. When asked about legality, plates and so forth, it seemed like the seller said yes, ok. But when read more carefully he actually hadn't answered the question about legality. So during the Taobao Wang discussion, we asked again, more clearly... the dealer wouldn't respond.

I've read many stories of Chinese motorcyclists dealing with unscrupulous sellers via different methods selling motorcycles, often the Chinese buyer goes to another city to "see" the bike and buying it, first convinced to pay a deposit to get the ball rolling, being provided all types of false assurances and what not, only for the seller and bike to disappear with the buyers cash. Phone numbers no longer working etc.

All kinds of tricks.

4. #14 Re: Taobao Dealers 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Exactly. Dodgy as Dodge. With the SH dealer initially he said he has a store, even had photos of a motocycle shop with bikes on display. Then when he insisted on payment put into me.alipay.com and not alipay.com, we said, um, ok, we will go to SH to visit the shop, see the bike (new) and pay him in cash. He then said, oh he has a warehouse full of bikes and not a shop (red flag), and no he couldn't be paid in cash (red flag) as he needed the money into the me.alipay.com account so he could obtain the fapiao (red flag). So for that shop it was easy as it is like a 3 hour drive on the expressway from here. The second dealer/seller is in Guangdong, not exactly a short half day drive. With the second dealer, when we were getting ready to make the complaint with Taobao about it, the link for the bike went down. The dealer/seller still exists and has other bikes for sale, but just the link to the bike in question is gone.

Yes, so getting to see a bike or anything up front, close and personal is best, nut not always doable. We use Taobao to buy all manner of items almost daily, and have little incident. Yes some crap is just that, crap, and only reinforces my belief in one gets what one pays for. Yesterday we talked with another Taobao motorcycle dealer in SH, about a new C650GT for 178K. Price seems like it would be about right for a legal bike, and is well above most others for sale on Taobao. When asked about legality, plates and so forth, it seemed like the seller said yes, ok. But when read more carefully he actually hadn't answered the question about legality. So during the Taobao Wang discussion, we asked again, more clearly... the dealer wouldn't respond.

I've read many stories of Chinese motorcyclists dealing with unscrupulous sellers via different methods selling motorcycles, often the Chinese buyer goes to another city to "see" the bike and buying it, first convinced to pay a deposit to get the ball rolling, being provided all types of false assurances and what not, only for the seller and bike to disappear with the buyers cash. Phone numbers no longer working etc.

All kinds of tricks.
    Yes, right. Actually I'm not sure you can get the bike plated once you get it from taobao. I mean, even with all the certificates and papers and tax forms and what not I guess it'll still be much more painful than having a shop representative do it for you.
    But once again - that's just a guess, they're tough on bikes here in Nanjing.
    Then again - should there be something wrong or missing in the papers - it'll be trouble sending the bike back or inquiring for missing papers from the dealer.

5. #15 Re: Taobao Dealers 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello guys ! Are you looking for a reliable trustful taobao agent in China ? Do you want to buy anything from taobao . If yes your answer then just input the product url of taobao in rorbuy.com.
    they are the biggest taobao agent in china. They will deliver your products instantly .
    find out more : taobao buying agent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12