Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    C-Moto Senior WirralGhostHunter's Avatar
    I will start my life with the Jetmax here. I will post thoughts, likes and concerns.
    This is day three with my new scoot, and this morning it went in for its first service.
    Yesterday I let it run until the fuel warning started to flash, so I promptly went to fill up, low and behold it took 8.5 litres, so I assume there is still 4 litres left when the warning shows. I will try this again soon to see if it is a constant reading. I have set up a "Fuelly" account to monitor mileage returns, and I will try and keep up with entries, here's the link for anyone who may be interested.

Today I noticed the bolt that hold the front wheel has thread protruding from the right hand side, should there be a nut here or is it the way its supposed to be?

Also in my documentation it doesn't say that I have adjustable rear shocks, but it looks to me as they may be adjustable, if this is the case, anyone know what they are set to or how to adjust. I would like to firm up the back end, well possibly the front too if its possible. Well thats it for now
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WirralGhostHunter; 07-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.

2. #2 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Oh my... Perhaps scooters, unlike all the normal motorcycles, don't have nuts on front wheel axle, but I would put one and a washer too.

As much can I see from the photograph, it is possible to adjust spring preload on the rear shock absorber.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The front axle does protrude the side of the fork as shown in your photo, and no it does not require a nut to secure it. I think you will find if you look at the fork leg (opposite side) you will notice that there are two smaller bolts that have Allen heads, which are used to secure the axle in place. Simple design and one found on some motorcycles as well. There is a similar set up to this on my 2007 Yamaha Dragstar XV1100A Classic - it's not exactly the same design but the principle is there. So no worries there.

As for your shocks, yes they are adjustable for preload. You should find the adjustment spanner in the tool kit. Using that tool, you place one end into a slot near the adjustment collar with the stepped graduations, to either turn one way (by pulling the collar using the spanner as a lever) to compress the spring and therefore make the shock spring shorter and thereby stiffen the compression (preload) or the opposite way to make the spring longer for the opposite affect.

Hope my explanation without pictures makes sense.

I'd ask your dealer or wherever you have the bike serviced to check all the bolts and screws (e.g. all the screws for attaching the plastics etc) for tightness. I prefer to do this myself, as it's a good way to learn where everything is on a bike, so that you can be prepared in the event of a failure or whatever.

4. #4 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Oh my... Perhaps scooters, unlike all the normal motorcycles, don't have nuts on front wheel axle, but I would put one and a washer too.

As much can I see from the photograph, it is possible to adjust spring preload on the rear shock absorber.
    Thanks for the reply Zorge..

5. #5 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The front axle does protrude the side of the fork as shown in your photo, and no it does not require a nut to secure it. I think you will find if you look at the fork leg (opposite side) you will notice that there are two smaller bolts that have Allen heads, which are used to secure the axle in place. Simple design and one found on some motorcycles as well. There is a similar set up to this on my 2007 Yamaha Dragstar XV1100A Classic - it's not exactly the same design but the principle is there. So no worries there.
    Thanks for that bikerdoc, its put my mind at ease

As for your shocks, yes they are adjustable for preload. You should find the adjustment spanner in the tool kit. Using that tool, you place one end into a slot near the adjustment collar with the stepped graduations, to either turn one way (by pulling the collar using the spanner as a lever) to compress the spring and therefore make the shock spring shorter and thereby stiffen the compression (preload) or the opposite way to make the spring longer for the opposite affect.

Hope my explanation without pictures makes sense.
    Yes made sense, I didn't have a spanner to fit in my toolkit, but I used the allen key and viola, sorted

I'd ask your dealer or wherever you have the bike serviced to check all the bolts and screws (e.g. all the screws for attaching the plastics etc) for tightness. I prefer to do this myself, as it's a good way to learn where everything is on a bike, so that you can be prepared in the event of a failure or whatever.
    I think I will have a go myself, but at the next service I'll get the mechanics to check aswell....

6. #6 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Shock absorber update, I took the adjustment up 3 clicks, and it has improved my ride (it was set to the softest setting- like riding a bouncy castle). I may take it right up an see how it is. Probably on the cards is a shock upgrade to a decent set..
    Noticed today that the left front indicator has water in it (it hasn't stopped raining here). I will have to remove and check it out, Hopefully just an ill fitting boot, will keep you all posted. Overall still very very happy with the sccot

indicator1.jpg
    Last edited by WirralGhostHunter; 07-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.

7. #7 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Did you manage to adjust preload with bare hands and with a little Greco Roman wrestling with a scooter, or you have found the right tool? Allen key and viola - somehow I can't imagine... :)
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

8. #8 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Did you manage to adjust preload with bare hands and with a little Greco Roman wrestling with a scooter, or you have found the right tool? Allen key and viola - somehow I can't imagine... :)
    I was surprised myself. Allen key fitted the slot, scoot was on centre stand, no effort at all.....

9. #9 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Few more observations.
    I have become aware or an irritating rubbing noise from the handle bars, this is coming from the bar covers coming into contact with the dash. I doubt if there is any adjustment, just poor fit and finish.
    The mirrors contact the widscreen before a full lock is achieved, this has caused an occassional issue when trying to maneuver in tight situations. I will have to investigate alternative mirrors, possibly bar ends.
    I have adjusted the shocks to their max setting, I will see how this affects the handling.
    Looks like I'm getting around 70mpg (imperial), going to see if I can massage this a little.
    Scoot is a little grubby now, I will treat it to a wash and polish at the week end.

dash.jpgfouling.jpgstraight.jpgFull lock.jpgshock full.jpg

10. #10 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WirralGhostHunter View Post
    Few more observations.
    I have become aware or an irritating rubbing noise from the handle bars, this is coming from the bar covers coming into contact with the dash. I doubt if there is any adjustment, just poor fit and finish.
    Mine and my mates Jetmax don't have this problem, and three other riders who also have the Jetmax round this area that I know, don't have the problem either. You're likely right being that it will be a QA thing on the assembly line. I know that with all the models and the rapid rate of development and R&D, they (CFMoto) can't keep up with the demand. No excuses but it might be that not all staff on various aspects of assembly are up to speed with what's required. No excuses though, as QA should always be there. I'd either take it back to the dealer to put right, which should be simple enough, or tackle it oneself as it is only screws (PK head) to get the bar tupperware off (4 external ones then two once you get to the inside up near the swtichgear assemblies). It's likely the plastics just need removal then reapplication. Just my thoughts.

The mirrors contact the widscreen before a full lock is achieved, this has caused an occassional issue when trying to maneuver in tight situations. I will have to investigate alternative mirrors, possibly bar ends.
    The very first thing when I bought my Jetmax, was ask the dealer to swap the standard mirrors out with some after market ones. I paid for these myself ($10) and had the dealer install them before the bike left the showroom. The reason was the design was too vertical for my liking, and also did touch the endges of the screen. See my review. Since then I've fitted a pair of mirrors that fit the CF650NK and they look the part totally.

I have adjusted the shocks to their max setting, I will see how this affects the handling.
    Here in China, CFMoto still sell the Jetmax with the standard non-adjustable rear shocks. I called them only a few days ago, but the domestic retail sales person wasn't aware there were any other type of shocks being installed ex-factory on the Jetmax. I'm having someone else look into it. The rear with the standard non-adjustable shocks needs to have adjustability, which I've accomplished by fitting some aftermarket shocks (preload/dampening) which makes a nice difference.

Looks like I'm getting around 70mpg (imperial), going to see if I can massage this a little.
    Theres a substantial difference in the mileage the Jetmax gets compared to my Burgman Executive 650. The Jetmax wins out on that one by a significant margin.

Scoot is a little grubby now, I will treat it to a wash and polish at the week end.
    Shiny side up
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-06-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast