Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    Just to satisfy a personal curiosity: what is in between the transmission casing and its cover?

Is there a classic gasket or some viscous sealant?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #22 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    No, since the tranny case is just that a case so it's dry inside, and simply houses the variator, belt, rear drive pulley and clutch shoes etc. no gasket needed, unlike the transmission itself which is the oil you are looking to change. I've updated my last post (page 2 of this thread) but forgot to mention its a good time to clean the tranny filter while its off...

3. #23 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    I thought it might be something that keeps belt and pulleys dry.

4. #24 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    no worries, it doesn't appear to suffer any moisture issues, unless an unscheduled dip were to happen. Are you planning to take the tranny case off? If so then I might put together a photo array of what is involved to help you through it, otherwise I think the steps I outlined should guide you (and others)... I know that the tranny casing was difficult the first time to remove and that applied to both mine and friends Jetmax. The subsequent times the tranny case was removed thereafter - no such difficulty!

5. #25 Re: My blog of a Jetmax 250 
    C-Moto Senior WirralGhostHunter's Avatar
    Thanks for your post bikerdoc, it has given me the motivation to have another go. I have ordered an electric impact wrench, as renting one is not worthwhile (I plan to delve into the case to keep it maintained). Hey if you have a photo sequence of any jobs you carry out, I am sure it will be of great use, not only to myself, but all Jetmax owners. Keep up the great work.

6. #26 re-seal and bulb replacement 
    Time to re-seal the headlight & indicator lens plus swap out the standard halogens for xenon ones.
    I really wasn't looking forward to taking the front of the scoot off again, but I had my new xenon bulbs waiting for over a week on my desk. So I nipped out and purchased a new tube of clear silicone. I was hoping that it was sorted last time, but the amount of water inside was amazing, I'm still not too sure how it gets in, this is both the headlight and indicator enclosures (left side).
    From the pic you should make out the water droplets, I initially thought this was on the outside - but oh no! - on the inside...... STRANGE....
    On closer inspection I think it is entering along the edge of the lens where it meets the case (see pics).
    I dont want to do this again, so the silicone went on, right around both of the culprits - LIBERALLY.........
    OK so the left side went back on, the smell of silicone nearly knocking me out, and off comes the right hand side (to swap the bulb).
    Grrrr, the clip that holds the lamp in is fouling the outer case - can unclip it - but not lift up...
    Grrrrrrr, take out the little screw - drop it on the ground - ten minutes to find it Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......
    Bulb in - clip back - panel back on.
    Very happy with the bright white light these little suckers give out.
    Now to see if the headlight is waterproof. Wont be long as it hasn't stopped raining.

whitelight.jpgwater headlight.jpgindicatorwatergap.jpgheadlampwatergap.jpgbadclip.jpg

7. #27 Re: re-seal and bulb replacement 
    It seems that you have not spent much time in the kitchen adding vinegar to the salad, because the smell of acetic acid from silicone overwhelm you.

These bulbs will become xenons about the same time when I become slim and blond, namely - never.

I thought they were actually brighter than normal, but my experience has shown that they not and their bluish light tiring eyes. Instead, I would look for an ordinary, but good quality halogen light bulb, from Philips, Osram, Beru or Narva.

8. #28 Re: re-seal and bulb replacement 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    It seems that you have not spent much time in the kitchen adding vinegar to the salad, because the smell of acetic acid from silicone overwhelm you.

These bulbs will become xenons about the same time when I become slim and blond, namely - never.

I thought they were actually brighter than normal, but my experience has shown that they not and their bluish light tiring eyes. Instead, I would look for an ordinary, but good quality halogen light bulb, from Philips, Osram, Beru or Narva.
    eek! So I take it these aren't xenons
    I did try them out for a night ride and they were a great improvement on the original halogens. They actually produced a bright white light instead of the yellowish before, and lit up the road brilliantly. I didn't notice any blue tint to the beams, I'll follow a friend and see if the light appears bluish to him.
    How long they will last? Hmmmmm. Report to follow...

9. #29 Re: re-seal and bulb replacement 
    If they do their job better than the old ones - xenon or not. you achieve your goal, which is most important. Is'n it?

10. #30 Re: re-seal and bulb replacement 
    Yes, the bulbs are not HID Xenons at all. To do that you will need a completely different designed light bulb and also need to have either one or two ballasts and a whole lot of associated wiring. I can tell you though that HIDS on the Jetmax work very very well. One of the issues with the standard Halogen bulb on the Jetmax is a 35/35W which is much less than the common 55/60W used in most vehicles. You will likely notice a reasonable increase in light just from swapping out the low rated 35/35W bulbs. And I see that the little retaining clip that I commented about in my Jetmax review has not been redesigned.
    Just keep in mind that you might have to be mindful of the wiring used for the headlights etc and whether or not they are designed to take the increased draw that the higher rated bulbs will incur. I found that out by swapping the stock standard 35/35W Halogens for some beefier 90/100W ones. The draw was too much and the wiring proceeded to melt as did the plastic 3 pronged connectors to the bulbs. Replacing the wiring harness means having to buy the headlight assembly which in turn means buying the fairing (tupperware) that houses said headlight too. No matter as it's not expensive here in China. The headlight wiring harness is not sold separately.

Not sure why you are having issues with your lights filling with water. None of that has happened with any Jetmax's elsewhere that I'm aware of.

BTW, your goods will likely be with you soon Mr WirralGhostHunter :)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast