Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    Here is the deal:

Harbin is a bike ban city. They do not give plates to bikes past a certain year.

My plan is to take a trip from Harbin to Xinjiang on whatever bike I buy. I do not plan to ride much in Harbin city limits, however the address of my residence permit is in Harbin.

So.. I have three options: (as far as I can tell-if you think of any other methods please tell me)

1. Buy a used bike with a plate and transfer to my name.
    These bikes were all plated before the ban and are legal. The problem is the ban was awhile ago (not quit sure which year) and the bikes with legal plates are all in pretty poor condition, aka I would not be confident taking a long trip on one. Most of the ones I've looked I wouldn't be comfortable riding around the block on. They are pretty much all 125ish standard street bikes beat to hell by years of Harbin winter.

2. Buy a new bike, and have a friend in a city outside of, but close to, Harbin and register it in their name. Then it will be legally registered and I could legally ride it. I wonder though, if I got stopped in some random small town in Inner Mongolia if the cop would believe that, or think I was lying and take the bike. Has anybody done this option before?

(not much of an option)3. Ride without a plate, but with a license and insurance. This is illegal. I know. But literally every Chinese person I've talked to (including ones not trying to sell motorcycles to me) has said it should not be a problem. I figure if I get a bike for around 5000rmb, even if it does get confiscated its not that big of a loss. Really this is my last resort if the first two are impossible. If I exhaust all other options and it boils down to riding illegally or not riding at all, then I might go with this one.

Number two seems like the best one. If anybody else has done this please let me know how it worked. If anybody has any other ideas I would be glad to try them. I want to be as legal as possible for the trip I am planning.

2. #2 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    C-Moto Regular
    Another option: move your adress to somewhere where you can register a bike in your name - and move back when it's done......
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

3. #3 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfar View Post
    Another option: move your adress to somewhere where you can register a bike in your name - and move back when it's done......
    Morfar's suggestion is indeed a good option, and has been done by others in other cities, though you'll maybe need some paperwork to make it work with the cops, like maybe you move to a hotel for a couple of days. Somehow I remember it was Andre555 in Kunming that did this.

As discussed ad nauseum in this forum, do NOT do option 3. Kiss of death.

Also, given how much bogus information you've gotten from your "reliable sources" up to now, how about just going to the Vehicle Management Bureau and ask them what your options are. You may find that it is possible to register in the city under certain circumstances. It's not unheard of to register a bike in a dry city.

You retake your drivers license test yet?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    "reliable sources"
    hahaha

I have never registered a vehicle here, so I am not sure what exactly I need, but If I could use the hotel location as an address I'd definitely do that. Even if I had to rent an apt for a month that would work. There are several cities about 30mins outside of Harbin that would be easy to get to.

About the proof of residence, is a paper from the local police station what you need, or does it have to be your visa?

You retake your drivers license test yet?
    Yup, took it for the second time and passed it! (thanks to the questions you sent) So now I'm onto the next step of figuring out how the heck to register a bike.

5. #5 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    One more question about the "move my address" option, what happens when the address of my vehicle registration does not match the address on my license? Is the address on the actual registration, or do they just need the proof before they can give you the registration?

6. #6 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    "A fool as his money are parted" or make that motorcycle:
    As the others have said above and numerous other threads, don't opt for option 3. While it may seem easier in the short term, in the long term it's likely to come round and bite you, one way or another. And I'd take your reliable sources for what they are... subjective views. It's like stopping any place in Ch!ina and asking for directions from 10 different people - you'll often get 10 different answers half that contradict the other half. Since you are in a city that has a ban, it's likely then that the traffic office that issues plates, won't have any for motorcycles, so not worth the effort. I'd go for the option whereby you either rent an apartment for a month or two, or stay out an out of town hotel (which allows foreign residents) just so you can get the PSB registration paper that we are meant to carry with our passports on our person at all times in PRC.

Caveat:
    Naturally you'll want to be registered in a locality that allows motorcycles and even more importantly which has the authority to issue plates for motorcycles to a foreigner. It's important because not all things are created equal in Ch!na. Then go shopping for a bike, and may I suggest that you look at one of the 600-650cc bikes on offer from some of the local manufacturers which are mentioned in the MCM forum... especially if you plan to be around here for awhile. It might seem overkill, but even you buy bigger than you intended, there'll be a market for your ride should you wish to sell it in the near future than sat you had planned.

You need, a number of items to legally register and plate your wheels...
    Passport
    Valid Visa (employment/residence)
    PSB registration slip
    Bill of sale
    Sale Invoice (not the same as above)
    Tax invoice
    Quality certificate from manufacturer
    Work unit approval (this might not be needed in all circumstances and locations)
    Drivers license (PRC issued one for the correct category). This needs to be the drivers license in the name who's ownership the bike will be registered and plated to.

...think I've covered it, but will check tomorrow, anyway this will give you plenty to work on. Most of the items come supplied ex-manufacturer through the bike dealer depending on how you buy. If you were to buy bike (e.g. one of the new 600-650 from <whatever manufacturer goes here>) then it would be highly likely they will act for you on your behalf, though it's a good tactic to negotiate that as part of the deal when buying. Even a smaller capacity bike the dealer will likely help you, especially if they move reasonable volumes -they'll likely have the relationship to get you plated LEGALLY

Don't listen to those that tell, oh you are a foreigner you don;t need to worry about it - its no big deal. Yeah right, it's no big deal until the wheels fall off!
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.

7. #7 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    Dear Steve,

Bikerdoc has pretty much covered it, and, please note that a driver's license is not on his list of documents required for registration, so there will be no raised eyebrows about the different address. I would still suggest you just go to the Harbin vehicle management bureau and ask about plating a bike at your current address. The ban and registration are two entirely different things, and it may still be possible to register a bike that you then are not allowed to ride. It's maybe a long shot, but would save you a heap of trouble and expense. Don't ever assume, or take hearsay as fact. Just get the facts.

As one who rides a Jialing JH600, I'm with Bikerdoc about the attraction of a bigger displacement bike, especially if you are going to be doing substantial adventure touring. As Fred recently noted, you'd be fine with a YBR250 any where in China (except on the expressways), but the extra horsepower and torque can make a big difference in many different situations. Sometimes you need the extra punch to evade a perilous situation, and sometimes you just want it for sheer riding pleasure.

Finally, though the Jialing is facing competition in this mid-displacement class from seemingly flashier models from Qianjiang/Benelli and Chunfeng/CFMoto, don't count the Jialing short. It's a beast of a bike, and many of us are riding the bejesus out of it and racking up tremendous smiles per gallon. It's a hell of a fun bike, and will really chew up a nasty bit of unpaved track.

Finally, congratulations on nailing the licensing exam on the second try. I'm delighted to have provided a modest assist!

Keep us posted!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    I suggest that you look at one of the 600-650cc bikes on offer from some of the local manufacturers which are mentioned in the MCM forum
    As one who rides a Jialing JH600, I'm with Bikerdoc about the attraction of a bigger displacement bike, especially if you are going to be doing substantial adventure touring.
    I think a little bigger bike would definitely make life more enjoyable. I've done a lot of riding on a 1200, so switching to a 125 or 250 is a pretty huge difference. How does the engine size affect the registration process? Does it add any steps/barriers?

I don't think I'd be able to find one without traveling to Beijing or maybe Dalian. But I suppose I could get a temporary plate and ride it back here to register. What does a bike like that cost?

9. #9 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    The three 600cc bikes are all in the range of 35k-45k rmb, if I'm not mistaken. There should be no restrictions on displacement. There may be restrictions on whether the manufacturers of certain models have done the proper registration with your province or city. The newer models may not be know to your local 车管所, in which case you may be the first to register. I was the first to register the JH600 in Shanghai, and this required some extra processing, including some measurements and picture taking. Again, this is not dependent on displacement, but on whether the manufacturer has taken the necessary steps to make your model registrable anywhere in China. We've often heard of bikes from smaller manufacturers that cannot be registered in some cities -- Beijing in particular comes to mind -- because they have not bothered with such registration procedures.

As for the JH600, you might find it in Beijing, which has a quasi-dealer, but pretty much nowhere else in China except Chongqing where it's made. Jialing does have a dealer network but does not push the JH600 through it. We in Shanghai all bought ours directly from the factory, though we do have a freelance factory representative here who helps us with service.

Such is life in a country that is still deeply conflicted about the role of the motorcycle in society.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    I found a trustworthy friend who lives in a city North of Harbin who will let me register in his name, and an uncle who is a 交警 (can register it for me) and also owns a lifan shop. Which seems perfect, but.... he says you can only register bikes under 150cc in China. I am almost completely certain this is wrong (Maybe that city has its own regulations) Has anyone heard of this 150cc limit before? A 250 is wimpy enough, I don't think touring on a 125 or 150 would be much fun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast