Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    Well, I am just stating what has been told to me by not only my Chinese wife, but several of my Chinese friends who own cars and bikes. In some places there are even scam rings where accidents are staged in order to obtain crazy sums of money from the laowai. An Aussie friend here, gone now even told me of an experience where he had to pay almost 5500 rmb for damages when he hit the side of a car that ran a red light..camera revealed the facts, he still had to pay, what can I tell ya but an obvious case of guanxi (connections)

My wife's father was killed on his motorcycle by a car who's driver was speeding in a back country road in Guangxi province only a week after we were married. Not only did the driver not go to jail (he was even cited as being at fault) he simply negotiated a deal with my wife's mother to just "compensate" the family in exchange for not pursuing legal actions. In any (most) other countries it would be at least vehicular homicide AND jail time, even after paying the family.

I am pleased to hear that in other cases such as yours, this was not the case. Still, its just a matter of luck when dealing with PSB here. Sometimes they can be the nicest people. I have 3 that live in my Apartment building and have drank a few beers with them..one even spotted me some gas from his police bike once when my scooter ran dry. Some areas are more friendly towards foreigners, some look with suspicion. Hope that IF/when an accident happens its as pleasant as your experience, however I have personally witnessed quit the opposite.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

2. #32 Re: Riding legal decisions-insights wanted 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Bad shit can and does happen to foreigners. Just ask Slabo. China is capable of inflicting equal opportunity suffering.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234