Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hi all from Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all,

I am originally from Melbourne Australia, now based in Beijing. Unfortunately i do not see many big bikes on the roads, can anyone recommend any reputable and legal big bike dealers in Beijing? Also where can you purchase legal plates.

Thanks

Sam

2. #2 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    Banned
    get out to Jimbo's Sidecars / Iron Horse Saloon in Beijing, quite a few bikes for sale in the area: http://www.bmwsidecar.com ,great place to meet fellow BJ bike owners.
    Ducati, HD, BMW, etc. sell bikes in Beijing as well.......

3. #3 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you so much TB-Racing

4. #4 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Sam

What type of bike are you looking for? If you're a bit more specific (size, style, brand), I can direct you to a couple of places that specialize in them. For example, there are a few dealers near the Lido area (North East 4th ring road) ... Harley, Suzuki (large bore) and Benelli. The Goldenport raceway (on the way to the airport) has the Ducatti, Jialing and MV Augusta dealers.

Jim (bmwside) specializes in sidecar CJ750s with BMW engines.

To acquire a legal plate, you need to either:

1) purchase a new bike from a dealer, and the dealer will make the plate arrangements; or,
    2) purchase a used legal bike that is already plated.

If you are new to China, you may wish to secure the assistance of some new friends who can help you out. Acquiring a bike in Beijing can be a little complicated for the uninitiated.

5. #5 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Lao Jia Hou for the wealth of information.

That's a good question!

I am interested in super /touring sports bikes like the Kawasaki Ninjas 650cc+ , Suzuki sports bikes, Yamaha R1/R6, well l am 6 ft 1 , so l need a big bike.
    My aim is to take her out on the weekends away from the CBD for some fun. Hopefully meet some like minded people for cruises, track work etc.

Can you please point me in the right direction? The bike can either be second hand or new but must be legal, hence no hassles from Chinese police etc. I live in the Chaoyang hepingjie ten area

Also what is the process of obtaining a legal motorcycle license in Beijing? As I currently hold a probationary motorcycle license in Australia, and currently using my Oz license to get around on my R9.

Sorry for the nob question, does Beijing have full comprehensive motorcycle insurance for fire and theft etc?
    Does the law vary for each city on the types of motorcycle you can own?

Many Thanks

Sam

6. #6 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Also i love cruisers like Harley s,victory's etc, can you please give me the address for these bikes as well?

Many Thanks

SAM

7. #7 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Brace yourself for the price of admission, Sam.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Sam,

I am new to C-moto as well, but have been riding bikes in Beijing for the past 7 year. And has also been through the driver license and plate registration issues etc.

I bought my last couple of bikes from FHL motor which is located south of Lido. And have been very satisfied with their service so far, most properly they dont offer the cheapest service but I never had any problems with them. http://www.fhlmotor.com/

FHL sells both new and used bikes and everything from small scooters to Suzuki hayabusa. As far as I know they are "official" Suzuki and Benelli dealer. Time to time they have couple of Yamaha R1/R6 as well, but most of them cannot get the legal registration.

The thing is if you want a legal registered imported bike then the price starts at approx 175K RMB. Where e.g. a local made Benelli cost 40.000 RMB. So far I didnt manage to get full insurance on bikes in China, only 3rd party. So it is a bit risky with a 200k RMB bike in my opinion.

I bought a Benelli BJ600GS couple of months ago, and so far I am only positively surprised. I will post some more information about my experience with the bike in another tread later.

The Harley Davison shop is on the same street as FHL approx 500m east of the 4th ring road. But I dont have any experience with those guys.

Soren

9. #9 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitzu View Post
    Hi Sam,

I am new to C-moto as well, but have been riding bikes in Beijing for the past 7 year. And has also been through the driver license and plate registration issues etc.

I bought my last couple of bikes from FHL motor which is located south of Lido. And have been very satisfied with their service so far, most properly they don’t offer the cheapest service but I never had any problems with them. http://www.fhlmotor.com/

FHL sells both new and used bikes and everything from small scooters to Suzuki hayabusa. As far as I know they are "official" Suzuki and Benelli dealer. Time to time they have couple of Yamaha R1/R6 as well, but most of them cannot get the legal registration.

The thing is if you want a legal registered imported bike then the price starts at approx 175K RMB. Where e.g. a local made Benelli cost 40.000 RMB. So far I didn’t manage to get full insurance on bikes in China, only 3rd party. So it is a bit risky with a 200k RMB bike in my opinion.

I bought a Benelli BJ600GS couple of months ago, and so far I am only positively surprised. I will post some more information about my experience with the bike in another tread later.

The Harley Davison shop is on the same street as FHL approx 500m east of the 4th ring road. But I don’t have any experience with those guys.

Soren
    Dear Soren,

Welcome to MCM, better late than ever. Appreciate having a knowledgeable guy like you in the forum to help out. Really looking forward to your reports about the Qianjiang/Benelli. We've been waiting for someone to start a "facts" thread to replace the long-running rumors thread. Lots of folks anxious to hear authoritative information about that bike. Pix too please!

Thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Hi all from Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karabs View Post
    I am interested in super /touring sports bikes like the Kawasaki Ninjas 650cc+ , Suzuki sports bikes, Yamaha R1/R6, well l am 6 ft 1 , so l need a big bike.
    My aim is to take her out on the weekends away from the CBD for some fun. Hopefully meet some like minded people for cruises, track work etc.

Can you please point me in the right direction? The bike can either be second hand or new but must be legal, hence no hassles from Chinese police etc. I live in the Chaoyang hepingjie ten area

Also what is the process of obtaining a legal motorcycle license in Beijing? As I currently hold a probationary motorcycle license in Australia, and currently using my Oz license to get around on my R9.

Sorry for the nob question, does Beijing have full comprehensive motorcycle insurance for fire and theft etc?
    Does the law vary for each city on the types of motorcycle you can own?

Many Thanks

Sam
    Sam, somewhere on this site are a few maps to the Harley & FHL shops. It is easiest to find the Harley dealership. Get into the North East, grab a taxi, and keep saying HaLei, HaLei ... the driver will know where it is. Just a block, or so, East of the Harley shop is the brand new Suzuki Big Bike shop (just opened July 2). It is joined to the Piaggio shop. The Harley, Suzuki, Piaggio and FHL shops are all owned by the same company. FHL is nearby, but it is impossible to find, until someone shows you for the first time (it is tucked down a little lane).

Honda also has the ST1300 available from its specialty bike shop in Xidawang Lu (out by New Town SOHO).

Kudos to you for your desire to be legal - a smart move these days. BUT, your Oz DL is meaningless here ... although it might help you when you convert into a Chinese DL (don't know about the probationary aspect).

There is a really nice legal, plated Sportster for sale right now - but I won't tell you where because I might buy it! Hahahaha. Seriously, if you are interested, PM me. I already own one Sportster, but I believe a person can never have too many MCs. There ARE used, legal bikes available, but not many make it into the shops - we (the Beijing biker community) tend to pass them around among ourselves. Heck, I even just bought a little Regal Raptor cruiser off a HOG buddy (legal with a super cool A plate number) because I am going to use it to teach people how to ride cruisers (e.g., move up to a Sporty). My point is ... the bikes are there, but you need to hang around the shops & community.

As for insurance, yes, full coverage is available (including collision, fire & theft), but be prepared to pay Western prices (Sportster full coverage is about 7,000 rmb).

And yes, there is variance in laws between cities. It is complicated, to say the least.

Good luck. Start with Harley & Suzuki, and if you are still standing after seeing the prices, let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast